Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 10:28 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
we started cutting back about 30 years ago and cut back a little more every year but not for humane reasons: more for health reasons and as we get older and so much less active our appetites have shrunk. We still love or meats just smaller portions. If we all stopped eating meat a whole lot of animals would die of starvation which is a much more painful death I am guessing.
No, the animals wouldn't be born in the first place because there would be no reason to breed them if the market for meat dried up. Not likely to happen anytime soon.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:32 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think part of what you are saying has merit but I also know a lot of vegetarians, well not a lot who also love their booze. I think not smoking is something, vegetarians and meat eaters alike know is not a good habit. Most of us gave it us a long time ago. I still think it boils down to the amount rather than what we eat and drink.
Yes, my daughter has been a vegan for more than four years but has been in recovery from alcohol and drugs for a little less than three, so being a vegan didn't necessarily mean she was living healthily.

She just started introducing a bit of fish into her diet. Her bf is a chef, and they are going to Spain over winter break with an emphasis on trying different restaurants he has researched, and she says she isn't going to go to Spain and not eat paella.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:22 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Several Vegetarians I know seem weak and lethargic. I think it is more a matter of it being their nature although, I do find all vegetarians I've known to be more passive in nature. Itmight just be coincidence.

Passive?? Really?

I'm a vegetarian. If you think I'm passive, you are mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 06:40 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,403,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
That's interesting. My rare diverticulitis attacks have come from eating popcorn and those little Wasabi pea things with the hard shell. Eating large amounts of vegetables doesn't bring on attacks (for me).

My doctor said I likely formed the pockets of diverticulosis from being constipated and straining. Not enough fiber/water? I used to eat a crappy diet of too much fast food.

Anyhow, different strokes for different folks. I, too, was slender and fit at the time of my diagnosis. Haven't had a new episode in years. Have to avoid popcorn for the rest of my life, though. I make sure to eat lots of fresh, stir-fried, or steamed vegetables now, plus apples, and drink ample water.

I'm an omnivore, but animal protein is more a condiment than a main dish in my diet. I sometimes add a bit of chicken or pork or lean beef to a stir-fried veggie dish.

Yes, like you, I’ve never had a problem with fiber from fruits and vegetables, just beans and high fiber bread and cereals. I also avoid popcorn (and regular corn).

Old 12-02-2018, 05:09 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,079,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, the animals wouldn't be born in the first place because there would be no reason to breed them if the market for meat dried up. Not likely to happen anytime soon.

When it comes to commercial animals maybe. Wild pigs and deer and rabbits and other meat sources would overpopulate, as they do now, but more so with no one who wants to hunt and eat them. We are raising our babies on almond milk then?

Are we doing away with eggs too? I wonder how fast commercial chickens would overpopulate. Wild ducks, turkeys, geese etc.?

Well, we would just have larger and healthier predator populations to take care of that. More wolves, bears and mountain lions, badgers, weasels, raccoons to take care of the overpopulation of former food sources.

Since man has also overpopulated by the estimations of many, I'm sure they can get used to sharing what space their is left with larger and healthier predator animals. Maybe its only right for man to assume his proper position in the food chain - if all men suddenly decide to become vegetarians.

"These dinosaurs (brontosaurus, etc) ate plants. These dinosaurs (T-Rex, raptors, etc) ate the planteaters."

I have done it both ways, and I don't think one is superior to the other. Personally, I feel better when I include a little meat in my diet. This does not mean I need to eat meat everyday. I only eat meat when I find my body craving it. I have also found that not eating carbs does not guarantee I will lose weight. Just look at those cows - they eat grass for the most part, and fatten up nicely on it. I think its up to the individual to figure out what is healthiest for them, and what makes them feel the best physically.

I say physically, because eating a gallon of ice cream daily might be what makes them feel best mentally, but wont be what makes them feel best physically.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 12-02-2018 at 05:32 AM..

Old 12-02-2018, 08:25 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,462 times
Cannot generalize; for some vegetarian diet works well, others it doesn't, as far as overall health benefits.

I was vegetarian for 8 years and never felt well; I need a diet high in animal protein and fat.

Two of my four (now all adult) children were raised vegetarian; one began eating meat again at age 10 the other now aged 35 has NEVER eaten meat and went vegan 7 years ago. She had two kids during that time and is now pregnant with no. 3; stayed vegan throughout and kids were all full term big strapping beasties (one born at home).

Totally anecdotal and proves nothing; my main point is that individual biochemistry is so often ignored by those attempting sweeping generalizations.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:11 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Lack of protein doesn't cause osteoporosis....and calcium can easily come from veggies like spinach and certainly from milk (if she wasn't vegan) - there is lots of confusion on these matters.
I am only repeating what the doctor told her, which was that her particular vegetarian diet caused her osteoporosis.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:11 AM

171 posts, read 141,752 times
Most vegans are caucasian, liberal and millenials and from the first world.Take that anyway you like  people who don’t know what is like to have nothing to eat or have real needs

Most vegans ate meat for 90% of their lifetime. They usually turn vegan around early 20s. Sure, many are doing it for “health reasons” after reading a few webpages and watching youtube videos but the majority are jusr doing it to feel cool as someone said. They want to be unique and part of a special group.

They believe themselves to be different from the masses when in reality they are just as much of a sheep as everyone else. Them not eating meat or doing protests does not change in any way if animals are being killed or not.

That’s why the old joke about vegans is fact. How do you know if someone is vegan, don’t worry they’ll tell you.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:39 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Everyone joins groups in one way or another, even if it is just joining the group that feels the need to point out that other people join groups.....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-04-2018, 10:44 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalPolyps View Post
Most vegans are caucasian, liberal and millenials and from the first world.
It takes first world technology to be vegan, which is why there have been no natural vegan societies in the world. Even Jainism allows dairy and eggs, as long as the animals are properly cared for.

If there were ever any actual vegan societies, they probably suffer the same fate as Shaker societies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness