Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 01:58 PM

7,118 posts, read 12,657,474 times

Advertisements

Do you have any personal experience in switching from being an omnivore to a vegan or vegetarian diet and found your health improved?

Of course, there is unhealthy vegetarian eating, too. My cousin is a vegetarian and eats a whole lot of ice cream daily and is overweight and has some health issues. But is he the exception rather than the rule?

I think so.

Other vegetarians I know are quite slender and seem fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 03:20 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Do you have any personal experience in switching from being an omnivore to a vegan or vegetarian diet and found your health improved?

Of course, there is unhealthy vegetarian eating, too. My cousin is a vegetarian and eats a whole lot of ice cream daily and is overweight and has some health issues. But is he the exception rather than the rule?

I think so.

Other vegetarians I know are quite slender and seem fit.
I don't know many vegetarians, but I believe a lot of them consume a lot of soy products so could be dealing or not dealing with thyroid issues. Many eat a lot of carbs too. Which are pasta and rices and breads.

I feel better eating some animal and fish protein.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-27-2018 at 03:57 PM..

Old 11-27-2018, 03:56 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I don't know many vegetarians, but I believe a lot of them consume a lot of soy products so could be dealing or not dealing with thyroid issues. Many eat a lot of carbs too.
You need to be specific when you say carbs because most carbs are just fine to consume.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:56 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Vegetarians from birth who aren't doing it just because it's cool get their protein from a variety of grains, beans, and legumes and don't especially eat a lot of soy. Think chickpeas; kidney, pinto, black beans; red, brown, and green lentils, etc.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:59 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
I went vegan for about 5 months two years ago because my daughter was and I wanted to lose about five pounds and I was curious.

After one week I felt fantastic and after two I was dropping weight. I have to say that I really, really felt good. Why am I not still vegan is because I am an omnivore at heart. I love meat, fish, and poultry. I don't care about dairy except for cheese occasionally. Also coming up with meal ideas and recipes is a pain the the ass.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:19 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,975,722 times
I've been a vegetarian since I was a child. No junk food. I'm slender and fit.

But I also have type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, and hypertension, which all run in my family. Diet makes no difference in my case.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:55 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times
I was already slender and pretty fit as an omnivore. But when i was diagnosed with cancer ten years ago, I went vegan for a while. I felt great on this diet, but kept losing weight no matter how many nuts and avocados I ate. Needless to say, my doctor was not happy to see an already-thin cancer patient dropping 10 pounds in a month, so I had to add some animal products back in. I'm still not a big meat eater, but I do eat butter, cheese and/or yogurt every day, which seems to keep my weight stable.

I didn't/don't eat soy because my cancer was hormone-sensitive and my doctor recommended avoiding it.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:30 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Vegetarians from birth who aren't doing it just because it's cool get their protein from a variety of grains, beans, and legumes and don't especially eat a lot of soy. Think chickpeas; kidney, pinto, black beans; red, brown, and green lentils, etc.
So do vegetarians who started eating that way as adults not just because it's cool but either because of health reasons, a conscientiousness about consuming animals, or a combination thereof. I like all of those things you mentioned that I bolded.

I was vegetarian for about two years for the second reason. I still have vegetarian days, but for various reasons, I re-incorporated some meat and fish into my diet.

I know a man who went completely plant-based after heart surgery. There's also my mother who is on dialysis and is always low on protein. Her docs keep wanting her to increase her meat intake.

Each person has to make their own choices based on their personal health and/or their personal views.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:37 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,599 times
I was strict vegetarian (at times vegan) for nearly 30 years, but started consuming a little meat about a year ago. I was perfectly content and healthy as a vegetarian, but once I hit 40... I don’t know what changed but I started having hormonal issues and felt like crap all. the. time. My weight didn’t change, but I started to look paunchy and scrawny. Constant aches and pains, mood swings, you name it. And I’ve never been a junk food vegetarian; I was all about beans n’ greens, whole grains, nuts and seeds, and eggs.

Anyway, it all started with a hot dog. It was so ****ing delicious. Then a piece of broiled trout; it felt like all of the circuits in my brain were firing. I did put on 3 or 4 pounds at first, but once I had more energy to work out, it came back off easily. I’m not in constant pain anymore, and I’m looking a lot more fit.

Do I like that I’m eating animals? No. I’d rather not. But, I’ve made peace with mindfully consuming small amounts. I remember reading about an indigenous tribe in Minnesota whose diet is largely comprised of the salmon they catch: they take the time to thank the salmon for sacrificing its life to sustain the people of the tribe. They respect it as part of the cycle of life and the interdependence of all creatures in the biome. I’ve made a point of trying to incorporate that practice, as well.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:38 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I think in general they tend to be healthier, but you can have junk food eating vegetarians and vegans too (vegan would be harder though).

My sister was vegetarian and then vegan, and her cholesterol came down, but she at a lot of potatoes and bread so she stayed over weight. They were easy options for super busy schedule.

I tend toward vegetarian, I just like the food better and I'm funny about meat. My husband would still be eating an all protein diet if I let him. Of course his cholesterol used to be high and stuff too, now he is a perfect specimen when it comes to his numbers.

So we just try to emphasize a wide variety of foods, herbs and spices, an "everything in moderation" attitude.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness