Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 11:15 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,934,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It takes first world technology to be vegan, which is why there have been no natural vegan societies in the world. Even Jainism allows dairy and eggs, as long as the animals are properly cared for.

If there were ever any actual vegan societies, they probably suffer the same fate as Shaker societies.
And if you re in a room ask who is a vegan for 1 y? 5 y? 10 y? 20 y? You won't get past 10 y. Vegans can't do it. It's not sustainable. And it's not healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 11:50 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And if you re in a room ask who is a vegan for 1 y? 5 y? 10 y? 20 y? You won't get past 10 y. Vegans can't do it. It's not sustainable. And it's not healthy.
If vegans are good about supplementing their B vitamin they will be okay. I have a friend who has been a vegan since 1990.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:05 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
If vegans are good about supplementing their B vitamin they will be okay. I have a friend who has been a vegan since 1990.
Not just supplementing their vitamins, but also subsisting on a diet that cannot be "all local" except in a relatively few places in the world.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:38 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am only repeating what the doctor told her, which was that her particular vegetarian diet caused her osteoporosis.
Doctors know very little about nutrition.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Not just supplementing their vitamins, but also subsisting on a diet that cannot be "all local" except in a relatively few places in the world.
Who says the food has to be all local?

Old 12-05-2018, 09:53 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
Goes back to what I said earlier about relying on modern technology...and also why there were no early vegan communities.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Goes back to what I said earlier about relying on modern technology...and also why there were no early vegan communities.
Yes, but it is not a requirement to being a vegan.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:13 PM

171 posts, read 141,687 times
Veganism is thing that just became popular these past 10 years. Particularly in the USA and Europe, first world nations lol and as it has been said, turning vegan, doesn't automatically mean eating healthy. Lots of dirty vegans out there who eat lots of crap.

Not to mention, there are many vegan/vegetarians, who despite their "super healthy" diets and lifestyles, have developed cancer.

If you want to be vegan, that's your choice, but the fact that most of them have to "announce" it loudly to the world, just shows they are doing it for attention and validation. They appear to care about the animals, but what happened to their morals all those 15-25 years when they were meat eaters? Most vegans turned vegan in their early/late 20s. So, what happened to their morals from ages 7 to 20? Did they live in a bubble where they were unaware of animal cruelty?

They simply didn't care about animals. This is why I don't buy their "I'm really concerned about animals". It took you decades to realize killing animals is bad. They ate animals for many years, but after watching a few youtube videos, they magically, found out about animal cruelty. What does that say about the intelligence of the average vegan?

They ate meat for most of their life, but somehow, never had the realization that eating animals is "bad" and that animal cruelty exists? A youtube video and a few webpages were necessary for them to be enlightened about this issue?

The reality, all those years when they were meat eaters, they knew about the problem, at least, on subconscious level, maybe they didn't look for the information, but they knew animals are being killed and animal cruelty existed, they simply didn't care.

But, now, they pretend to care. Why? Because it works in their interests. It works in favor of their new persona and lifestyle. Maybe they do care about animals, but I wouldn't be surprised if that concern comes from a place of egocentrism. In other words, they want to come off as if they are such wonderful human beings who are very concerned with animals, poverty, homelessness, people in need, injustice, etc.

It isn't any different from a person who donates to charity or does charity work, and post it on facebook/social media to gain the approval and validation from others. They didn't donate because they actually care, but only for them to gain approval and acceptance.

Last edited by NasalPolyps; 12-05-2018 at 03:24 PM..

Old 12-05-2018, 03:15 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalPolyps View Post
Veganism is thing that just became popular these past 10 years. Particularly in the USA and Europe, surprise, surprise, first world nations lol and as it has been said, turning vegan, doesn't automatically mean eating healthy. Lots of dirty vegans out there who eat tons of crap.

Not to mention, many vegan/vegetarians, who despite their "super healthy" diets, have developed cancer.

If you want to be vegan, that's your choice, but the fact that most of them have to "announce" loudly to the worlds, just shows they are doing for attention and validation. I'm sure they care about the animals, but what happened to their morals all those 15-25 years when they were meat eaters? Most vegans turned vegan in their early/late 20s. So, what happened to their moral from ages 7 to 20?

They simply didn't care about animals. This is why I don't buy their "I'm really concerned about animals". It took you decades to realize killing animals is bad. They ate animals for many years, but after watching a few youtube videos, they magically, found out about animal cruelty. What does that say about the intelligence of the average vegan?

They ate meat for most of their life, but somehow, never had the realization that eating animals is "bad" and that animal cruelty exists? A youtube video and a few webpage were necessary for them to be enlightened about this?
What does "many" vegans developed cancer mean? I don't think a lot of it but I'd sure want to see some real research when you're making such a specific claim.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:32 PM

7,234 posts, read 5,110,683 times
Quote:

If the vegan is doing it "to save the planet,", then eating non-local means he's relying on modern transportation to supply his needs, ie- large carbon footprint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Doctors know very little about nutrition.

The dirty little secret is that diet just doesn't count very much in matters of health.

There is no such thing as a "good" diet-- only "adequate" diet & "inadequate" diet.

Your liver turns virtually all carbs, fats & proteins you eat into acetyl-CoA units- the building blocks of metabolism, and then uses them to build your own tissues according to your own blueprint. Minerals & vitamins are just co-factors for the enzymes and needed in really low amounts and very efficiently re-cycled by your own body. It takes months & yrs to become deficient if your diet in inadequate. All living things need them & contain them too, so just about anything you eat will give you enough of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness