U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 08:43 PM

15,652 posts, read 15,583,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
Is a Barium test very informative or would it be better to simply have an endoscopy? I am having a barium test this week as I have been having difficulty in swallowing and what I thought was possibly cold/ flu symptoms of pain & slight burn in throat now I'm realizing is all what ever this issue I am experiencing with the throat. I have just started taking Omeprozale (sp?) for about 5 days- not sure it is helping much but my throat is not as sore today as it has been. I talk a lot at work and thinking since it is a weekend maybe not speaking all day is providing some relief.

Obviously, my concern is this could be a very serious issue as throat cancer symptoms are exactly what the OP mentioned but it sounds from most of you that GERD has the same symptoms. Interesting how "things" just develop.

You can have GERD with or without a hiatal-hernia. A barium test can detect a hiatal-hernia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 07:04 AM

1,731 posts, read 1,161,509 times
Had the Barium swallow test yesterday which was actually quite simple and honestly did not taste horrible at all. Can't they these folks should open a drink bar anytime soon but I did not cringe when drinking.

This morning did wake up at 4AM with cramps and the runs which I guess is a normal side effect & I'm sure nerves have played a part

The X-ray showed I have normal flow which is good then only thing notated was that my vertebrae was in slightly on the back of the throat which could cause some stricture. Today is day 6 of taking the medication and when I asked the Dr. he did say it could take up to two weeks before effects are felt and does seem my throat pain etc. is subsiding bit. My next step is to set up apt with a GI Dr. and have an endoscope done. Just need to get to the bottom and rule out anything more serious. I was concerned when looking at the Xray vid about a dark spot but it turns out that was the Hyoid bone- only bone in the body not connected to another bone.

Just thought I would provide an update for anyone else that is either about to go thru this experience themselves or going thru as well.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:39 PM

3,740 posts, read 2,940,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
Had the Barium swallow test yesterday which was actually quite simple and honestly did not taste horrible at all. Can't they these folks should open a drink bar anytime soon but I did not cringe when drinking.

This morning did wake up at 4AM with cramps and the runs which I guess is a normal side effect & I'm sure nerves have played a part
I agree the barium is not the worst tasting thing I've had to drink for a diagnostic test, but it's not great, either. For a day or two your stool will be grayish-white. They probably told you that, though.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:06 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,753,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I've had a barium swallow, followed soon thereafter by the Endoscopy. I think they often do them in conjunction with one another. The swallow is a good, noninvasive way to get real time info about function if you are having swallowing difficulties. The procedure itself was interesting. They put you in positions that became progressively more awkward (like on your back and leaning to the sides) and tell you "okay, just swallow".

My swallow results were completely normal. My EGD showed minor esophagitis and gastritis. I was on a prescription strength PPI for about 6 months, but I didn't want to use the PPI for an extended period of time, so I took myself off that and transitioned to using just an OTC H2 blocker. That was last year, and my problems have been greatly reduced since.
You are correct, both tests are recommended for long term GERD.

My surgeon had me do both before doing fundoplication. He showed me that surgery was really my only option. I actually found both tests to be pretty easy. An EGD test is done under sedation and you don't remember anything other falling asleep and than waking up.

I'm not saying I recommend it. However, I was on PPI's for over ten years with no discernible ill effect. In fact, I just had a physical examination and blood work that my doctor was impressed by. The only thing wrong with me it seems is GERD.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:43 PM

147 posts, read 30,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I agree the barium is not the worst tasting thing I've had to drink for a diagnostic test, but it's not great, either. For a day or two your stool will be grayish-white. They probably told you that, though.

how much did this barium test cost? It's basically an xray where they can determine what, if you have a hiatal hernia and other stuff. This is the first test that I plan on getting done, but I don't know if a doctor would order for it. I read you don't have for 6 hours prior and this is very inconvenient. I suppose they schedule the test to be done early in the morning.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalPolyps View Post
how much did this barium test cost? It's basically an xray where they can determine what, if you have a hiatal hernia and other stuff. This is the first test that I plan on getting done, but I don't know if a doctor would order for it. I read you don't have for 6 hours prior and this is very inconvenient. I suppose they schedule the test to be done early in the morning.
Well, I'll put it this way. I had it done last March, and it enabled me to instantly meet my insurance deductible for the year, which is $1,100.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 12-18-2018 at 10:23 PM..

Old 12-18-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

I'm not saying I recommend it. However, I was on PPI's for over ten years with no discernible ill effect. In fact, I just had a physical examination and blood work that my doctor was impressed by. The only thing wrong with me it seems is GERD.
I followed my husband's lead. He had switched from taking an OTC PPI daily to an H2 blocker a couple of years ago. He warned me that when I stopped the PPI, I'd experience some rebound reflux, but I should try and stick with it. That's exactly what happened. 2 weeks of pretty bad reflux, but then it seemed to stabilize and I really don't notice much drop off in controlling the reflux using the H2 blocker. However, if my problems get worse, I have no concerns about starting my PPI up again for a while.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalPolyps View Post
I'm not sure of the cost as I have insurance & this point just had a $40 co pay. There was only an hour or so of suggesting not to eat before the test- I had mine done at 1PM. If your having swallowing issues I cannot see any Dr. not ordering the test. I personally would have preferred to go straight to an Endoscope but I can see why Dr.s first want to see the results of the Barium test.

I don't know if your body will react differently but I would suggest being near a bathroom the next day. The Barium did not agree with me.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:53 PM

4,972 posts, read 4,761,639 times
I had an upper GI scope done a few weeks ago, my doctor ordered it in addition to a colonoscopy. I was surprised to find that I have a small hiatus hernia and I should take a PPI since I have gastric ulcers from Naproxen. I have no ongoing symptoms so it surprised me. I've had occasional heartburn or acid may be one or twice a month that I noticed. My doctor did instruct me to take the PPI for 14 days and then stop, she would reevaluate. She explained that PPI is not for long-term use.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:50 AM

For those that have had a GI Scope- was this done on an outpatient basis and were you able to drive home? I've never been put under before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or