U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2018, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia/South Jersey area
2,410 posts, read 1,106,229 times
Reputation: 8112

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I just had a total done yesterday. How are you feeling? First day was a piece of cake with the nerve block. 2nd day brought some pain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
That's pretty much how it was for me. Generally I feel good now, but I have a swollen knee and it's very painful. Best of luck
good luck ladies. I had my left replaced two years ago and it is doing wonderfully now. I'm a slow recover so I would say that it took me a full year to get back to exercising, bike riding.

so my suggestion.

1) get thee to Bonesmart.org if you haven't found it already. absolutely the best resource on line. it is specifically dedicated to joint replacements .

2) I am not a big fan of p/t "pushing" down to get the leg straight. especially immediately after surgery. but it is common practice. so my advice is that for you to remember, YOU are in charge of your p/t. not the therapist, not the doctor. it took me 3 tries to get to a great therapist who stopped when I told her the pain was bad.

3) take your meds. I know with the opiod crisis so prevelant many folks are trying to tough it out. lol, now is not the time to try and be "wonder women" 2018. you can't get better or do you exercises if you are in pain or your knee is the size of a basketball.


best of luck. I am almost 59 and my surgery was the best decision regarding my health I could have made.

ps. I still suffer from arthritis so I'm still a bag of creaky bones but I am back to living life again

 
Old 12-01-2018, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
13,125 posts, read 10,950,361 times
Reputation: 15121
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSoxFanNC View Post
Just because you need a revision doesn't mean it was gross negligence. You yourself said that you have co-morbidities that would preclude you from healing as a normal patient. Getting yourself back in shape by swimming, dieting, and biking would be most beneficial. I would spend more time looking for the best doctor to fix my knee rather than a lawyer to take your case. We are fortunate to have good surgeons at Duke and UNC that handle many of the tough revision cases. Good luck.
Exactly...and even I don't care for MDs that much.
 
Old 12-01-2018, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Florida -
8,352 posts, read 10,140,046 times
Reputation: 15442
My wife had a total knee replacement 18-years ago - and is only just now experiencing some degree of failure(?)

Given the technology of the time, she was told the replacement knees only lasted about 12-15-years - I guess they were right. Apparently, the new technology is even better.

In any case, there seem to be statistically more successful knee (and joint) replacements, than unsuccessful ones. Along these lines, I suspect there are reasons these sometimes fail ... and no absolute guarantees that one will have no problems. But, that's also why doctors carry malpractice insurance.
 
Old 12-01-2018, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Southern California
19,566 posts, read 6,477,133 times
Reputation: 13175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
My wife had a total knee replacement 18-years ago - and is only just now experiencing some degree of failure(?)

Given the technology of the time, she was told the replacement knees only lasted about 12-15-years - I guess they were right. Apparently, the new technology is even better.

In any case, there seem to be statistically more successful knee (and joint) replacements, than unsuccessful ones. Along these lines, I suspect there are reasons these sometimes fail ... and no absolute guarantees that one will have no problems. But, that's also why doctors carry malpractice insurance.
Was your wife younger when she had TKR? I was 57 when my right knee started to give me noises and that's when I came in from doing a lot of workouts that would damage the knee more. My knee is now messed up at 80 from hip replacement at 72 and subsequent staph infection a couple yrs ago...another story.

Is she planning on a revision.
 
Old 12-01-2018, 02:46 PM
 
14,754 posts, read 18,920,036 times
Reputation: 20373
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
... I was 57 when my right knee started to give me noises and that's when I came in from doing a lot of workouts that would damage the knee more. My knee is now messed up at 80 from hip replacement at 72 and subsequent staph infection a couple yrs ago...another story...

I dont understand why you blame the hip replacement for your knee problems when you frequently mention that you've had knee issues for many years before the hip surgery.
 
Old 12-01-2018, 03:56 PM
 
Location: on the wind
4,582 posts, read 1,734,481 times
Reputation: 16316
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I dont understand why you blame the hip replacement for your knee problems when you frequently mention that you've had knee issues for many years before the hip surgery.
Because blaming is easy and just about impossible to prevent on anonymous forums. Endlessly rehashing the same sad story in just about every thread is basic fear mongering.
 
Old 12-01-2018, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Southern California
19,566 posts, read 6,477,133 times
Reputation: 13175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I dont understand why you blame the hip replacement for your knee problems when you frequently mention that you've had knee issues for many years before the hip surgery.
Because it advanced the arthritis with a shorter leg outcome that I didn't even know occurred for many months or a year or how long it was after the hip job. Those doing these replacements for the first time have no idea what to expect, a podiatrist found the shorter leg discrepancy, by then a lot of damage was done structurally. This is an issue I've read so much since from THR people and I posted a while back about all the appts I had with a rheumy post op as she did acupuncture and other protocols and she didn't even find the shorter leg issue.

So much can change when the body is so changed, now I know. And now you know a little more, no?
 
Old 12-01-2018, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Southern California
19,566 posts, read 6,477,133 times
Reputation: 13175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Because blaming is easy and just about impossible to prevent on anonymous forums. Endlessly rehashing the same sad story in just about every thread is basic fear mongering.
I'm hoping more people read my info and can help save themselves. So many just give all the credit to pharma and their industry and forget about the folks who are left to hopefully walk better etc. Yes, I'm blaming, I didn't operate on myself.

And I know if I didn't like other member's posts, I just would not read them, yet comment on them, but some just can't resist.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 12-01-2018 at 04:35 PM..
 
Old 12-01-2018, 08:33 PM
 
4 posts, read 2,934 times
Reputation: 15
Thanks for all the responses, both positive and not so much. The talk of malpractice comes from my being bitter about the situation. One thing this thread did do is to convince me that the legal route would be useless because this is not gross negligence. I'll do the revision of course, just not next year. I did all of that therapy, went through all the pain when the knee was never going to completely straighten out anyway.



I really had to prepare a lot for the original procedure. Be reminded that I am athletic and a former paratrooper ( probably what screwed the knee up). I'm 6'4 265 with an athletic build. Officially the books say I should be 225.



I can lose 20, 25 pounds and have done so before. So I'm now disabled with the limp. I no longer have my manly stride. Yes I was thinking 100% recovery but now know better. Folks were saying how much better off I would be with the procedure.
 
Old 12-01-2018, 10:38 PM
 
Location: Southern California
19,566 posts, read 6,477,133 times
Reputation: 13175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannman48 View Post
Thanks for all the responses, both positive and not so much. The talk of malpractice comes from my being bitter about the situation. One thing this thread did do is to convince me that the legal route would be useless because this is not gross negligence. I'll do the revision of course, just not next year. I did all of that therapy, went through all the pain when the knee was never going to completely straighten out anyway.



I really had to prepare a lot for the original procedure. Be reminded that I am athletic and a former paratrooper ( probably what screwed the knee up). I'm 6'4 265 with an athletic build. Officially the books say I should be 225.



I can lose 20, 25 pounds and have done so before. So I'm now disabled with the limp. I no longer have my manly stride. Yes I was thinking 100% recovery but now know better. Folks were saying how much better off I would be with the procedure.
I check in at another knee replacement group and read often how so many can't get that bend that is important into a year or more post op. Don't know if more can be achieved longterm with more PT or not. Could be parts just are not fitted properly or right size.

With my knee issue and it's very stiff and painful when I walk, I can bend it quite a bit so to take everything out and do a new one with metal and plastic is hard for me to get to. While in the rehabs for the knee infection, I learned important knee exercises and do them a couple times a day at least, and one is straightening the leg out and tightening it to a hold of 10, releasing it and again and again. This one is a good one for strengthening quads...OP I gather you can't straighten the knee, right.

We'll see what the Prolo MD says when I see him next month, I've wanted to see Darrow for some time and just put it off and off and a friend kept telling me "go" and at least hear what he has to see. Knees are his biggest customers.

I hear people claim that they regret not doing replacements sooner after they finally do one, but again, all a gamble and we never know how we will come out.

And your comment about paratrooper being the culprit with your knees, sounds very probable.
A male friend said he believes years of squats did it to his knees. He had at least one done, and deals with pain some yrs later.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 12-01-2018 at 11:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top