U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 10:42 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,369,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I check in at another knee replacement group and read often how so many can't get that bend that is important into a year or more post op. Don't know if more can be achieved longterm with more PT or not. Could be parts just are not fitted properly or right size.

Or could just be that the patient's biology cannot adapt.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:50 PM

7,025 posts, read 12,469,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Physical therapy within 24-36 hrs of surgery, then daily. Bought a stationery recumbent bicycle and parked it in front of a TV for watching these types of videos for motivation:
Wow! I had my total knee replacement almost 5 years ago and they had me walking down the hall with a walker and 2 of the PT techs in a little under 12 hours. When they came in and told me what they were there for I thought they were crazy.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:02 AM

11,649 posts, read 7,576,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Wow! I had my total knee replacement almost 5 years ago and they had me walking down the hall with a walker and 2 of the PT techs in a little under 12 hours. When they came in and told me what they were there for I thought they were crazy.
I think your results are fairly typical. The failures get lots of attention; successes, not so much.
My wife has had 4 knee replacements. Left one in 2000, the right one in 2002, 2006, and in 2010. When things go bad, they can really go bad.
We never sought legal compensation, so I have no idea whether the OP is on the right track or not.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:01 PM

19,566 posts, read 6,477,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I think your results are fairly typical. The failures get lots of attention; successes, not so much.
My wife has had 4 knee replacements. Left one in 2000, the right one in 2002, 2006, and in 2010. When things go bad, they can really go bad.
We never sought legal compensation, so I have no idea whether the OP is on the right track or not.
Sounds like your wife did revisions to the original replacements, right?

Old 12-02-2018, 01:24 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,174,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Consider also going overseas to Europe especially Germany. Many of my coworkers have done so and have paid out of pocket for back surgery instead of having a low out of pocket cost here staying in the US with their insurance. After so many doing this the company has finally started to cover the co-pay going over there. Not a small sum when it was costing $50k out of pocket, but the results were so much better.
To OP see http://www.klinikum-friedrichshafen....in-germany.php see list left side last item is pricelist

Google search german knee clinic will bring up more results of other clinics.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:21 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,584,912 times
Quote:
Because it advanced the arthritis with a shorter leg outcome that I didn't even know occurred for many months or a year or how long it was after the hip job. Those doing these replacements for the first time have no idea what to expect, a podiatrist found the shorter leg discrepancy, by then a lot of damage was done structurally. This is an issue I've read so much since from THR people and I posted a while back about all the appts I had with a rheumy post op as she did acupuncture and other protocols and she didn't even find the shorter leg issue.

So much can change when the body is so changed, now I know. And now you know a little more, no?
Your arthritis would have advanced REGARDLESS....what part of that do you not understand????

Arthritis is ALWAYS progressive it NEVER gets better ONLY worse...

Almost everyone has a leg length discrepancy...it doesn't lead to "structural damage "

Conclusion

Anatomic leg-length inequality is near universal, but the average magnitude is small and not likely to be clinically significant.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1232860/

Your hip replacement didn't "cause" your knee arthritis....you have mentioned your knee pain in literally thousands of posts and how long it has been ongoing...

The infection may in fact have made it worse (the surgery was likely of benefit and almost certainly did no more harm)

mod edit: rudeness deleted

Last edited by in_newengland; 12-02-2018 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: Rude

Old Yesterday, 06:35 AM

2,410 posts, read 1,106,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannman48 View Post
Thanks for all the responses, both positive and not so much. The talk of malpractice comes from my being bitter about the situation. One thing this thread did do is to convince me that the legal route would be useless because this is not gross negligence. I'll do the revision of course, just not next year. I did all of that therapy, went through all the pain when the knee was never going to completely straighten out anyway.

I really had to prepare a lot for the original procedure. Be reminded that I am athletic and a former paratrooper ( probably what screwed the knee up). I'm 6'4 265 with an athletic build. Officially the books say I should be 225.

I can lose 20, 25 pounds and have done so before. So I'm now disabled with the limp. I no longer have my manly stride. Yes I was thinking 100% recovery but now know better. Folks were saying how much better off I would be with the procedure.
One of the things I do wish the replacement industry would stop with is those stupid commercials that show people mountain climbing 6 weeks after knee replacements. lol Sort of like Disneyworld commercials.

some of my tips I give (I volunteer) to pre surgery patients.

"better off" does not mean you feel like your 22 again. If you suffer from OA you will still have OA (this isn't you)

losing weight is absolutely the best thing you can do for your knees. I think the prevailing science says that every pound puts 4 pounds of pressure on your knees. so an extra 40 lbs of weight is an extra 160 lbs of pressure.

Disabled?? eek? your not in a wheel chair are you?? that's a scary word. I'm two years out from my replacement and I still have some sort of therapy.

My knee extension is not 100% straight either and on rainy days flexion and strengthening can suck royally.

Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM

1,518 posts, read 715,379 times
Quote:

I watched that documentary. I would urge everyone to watch it. There are many things about the medical device industry that everyone should know.

One person featured in it is Dr. Stephen Tower, an orthopedic surgeon who became a victim. He is now an expert on replacements and the potential ill effects caused by them.

Several other devices were featured as well, and the loopholes the device industry uses to get FDA approval.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/13/o...-kill-you.html

Excerpt:
When Stephen Tower’s right hip gave out in 2006, he asked his surgeon to implant an artificial one — specifically, a metal-on-metal hip called the ASR XL, made by Johnson & Johnson. He knew what he was talking about: As an orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Tower specializes in complex hip replacements. But what he knew wasn’t enough to protect him from a defect in the device.

Five years after his surgery, and in excruciating pain, Dr. Tower underwent more surgery, this time to have the device replaced. When the surgeon sliced into his hip, what he saw looked like a crankcase full of dirty oil. Tissue surrounding the hip was black. Cobalt leaking from the ASR hip had caused a condition called metallosis, destroying not only local muscle, tendons and ligaments, but harming Dr. Tower’s heart and brain as well.

Despite Dr. Tower’s repeated efforts to warn his colleagues and the company that the implants were harming patients, Johnson & Johnson continued to market metal-on-metal hips. While it withdrew the ASR XL model from the market in 2010, citing slow sales, it continued to sell another, similarly problematic model, the Pinnacle, until 2013.

Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM

19,566 posts, read 6,477,133 times
S.S. I think about my own issues with THR and the metal parts in my body. I did good for 5 months post op and then went downhill and could be the metal is causing me a lot of damage. The last thing I want to do is another surgery (revision) to see if things could be better, more metal??

I'll continue as I do and hopefully do more Prolo for the knee.

Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,369,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannman48 View Post
I want folks to understand what I am conveying. Eliza the definition of Disabled is (having a physical or mental condition that limits movements, senses, or activities). Which is what I am. Unable to run, stand for longer than 5 minutes, unable to bend at the knee. The Knee is deformed.
I simply believe that a physician should be held accountable for the job that is done.

Accountable for what? Did the surgeon make any promises?? There is no guarantee. You are not a car where you just pop in a new engine. Sometimes surgery doesn't work. But that doesn't mean the surgery was done incorrectly. Some patients just don't heal as good as others.
Post the consent form you signed. We'll help you find where you were told this in advance, and you still decided to have the surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness