Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 07:40 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
put all dorts of chemicals and crap in the food, water, and air and then wonder why people suddenly have mysterious ailments.
bingo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 09:04 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
"Has anyone else noticed something similar?"
yes.
" Are you less healthy than your parents in spite of ostensibly better health habits?'
less than my mother (she did not worry a lot). more healthy than my father (smoking).

Old 11-30-2018, 09:56 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,135 times
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/16/h...ntl/index.html

I guess what would be interesting to know is why a few countries have defied this trend.
I know here in Australia we complain about being a nanny state with very strict laws on road safety, swimming pool fencing and so on. Also anti smoking laws are strictly enforced and lock out laws and random breath testing have helped lower alcohol consumption quite a lot. But we certainly do have a drug problem though perhaps suicide rates could be lower because of the gun laws.
Then there are factors such as the fact that our immigration rate has been very high these past few years and the majority are skilled immigrants who have to pass strict medical tests to get a visa.

There are so many factors involved in the whole issue and I imagine t here will be a lot of research in all the countries with declining life expectancy to try to find reasons.

Old 12-01-2018, 04:54 AM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post

There are so many factors involved in the whole issue and I imagine t here will be a lot of research in all the countries with declining life expectancy to try to find reasons.

Exactly.

Please note that in Moses' day, 3000 y/a, a full life was 4 score and 10- same as today. There's a limit to how long anyone can live.

An increasing life expectancy for the group means more people are reaching old age, not that old people are living even longer.

Drug deaths here are now up to 40,000/yr, and there are 4,000,000 deaths over all per year (1%). Even at that, I'm not sure the excess drug deaths make much of a dent in life expectancy averages.

Life expectancy took major jumps after miraculous new technology entered our lives: indoor plumbing (1890s), antibiotics (1940s) and CABG (1970s). Major new developments have not come forth since then, so now life expectancy has stagnated. The yearly numbers can be expected to vary up and down randomly around the mean each year.

It is interesting to note, however, that life expectancy has fallen each year since Obamacare has taken full effect. With everyone now covered, maybe more people are seeing the doctor...and NOT living long enough to regret it?

Old 12-01-2018, 05:00 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,404,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

It is interesting to note, however, that life expectancy has fallen each year since Obamacare has taken full effect. With everyone now covered, maybe more people are seeing the doctor...and NOT living long enough to regret it?

Apparently, I can’t get articles to link correctly, but you can google “John Hopkins study suggests that medical errors are the third-leading cause of death in the US.” That might explain some of it.

Also, two of my current conditions (afib & mild chronic pancreatitis) were brought on by reactions to medications I was prescribed to treat a third condition (autoimmune inner ear disease). Also, I am no anti-vaxer, but I am still troubled that this rare autoimmune disease (which no one else in my family has ever had) came on suddenly a day after I got a flu shot. The medications helped put the autoimmune inner ear disease into remission (but I still have it), so in some sense I could say that the medical intervention has made me sicker — and in my case, we aren’t even talking about errors. Just standard treatment.

Hmmm. I just realized this thread might have been better suited for a different forum. Oops.

Last edited by Jill_Schramm; 12-01-2018 at 05:11 AM.. Reason: Added a paragraph

Old 12-01-2018, 07:46 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
It's not a mystery and it's certainly not (primarily) due to stuff in the water - the sudden decline is due to drug/opiate use.
Yeah but if you don’t do any of those things who cares. You’ll most likely live well over that age. I mean if you don’t smoke, don’t do drugs, eat decently it puts you well ahead of that drug using smoking junk food eating person.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:15 AM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Apparently, I can’t get articles to link correctly, but you can google “John Hopkins study suggests that medical errors are the third-leading cause of death in the US.” That might explain some of it.

I've read the study--pure bs published for its sensationalism. There's a huge difference between having a death caused by a medical error vs dying from some disease with the record showing that some drug or dosage, or procedure was not used according to standard "best practices" recommendations. How sure can they be that the best practices must necessarily be right, or that a different drug or dose would have prevented the death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Yeah but if you don’t do any of those things who cares. You’ll most likely live well over that age. I mean if you don’t smoke, don’t do drugs, eat decently it puts you well ahead of that drug using smoking junk food eating person.

Your potential longevity is determined by your genes. No "healthy lifestyle choice" can change that. Your actual longevity is determined by avoiding certain obviously stupid choices (swimming with sharks, volunteering for dangerous assignments; smoking, etc) but most of the problems come from pure chance.

Eg- chance cancerous mutations as tissue go thru their normal cell cycles every few days to months (depending on the organ) or the random pattern of plaque build-up in arteries (a plug in the "Widow Maker" LCA can kill you fast. The same plug way down a branch of a coronary artery may not even be noticed. A large but not completely obstructing plaque in a carotid may never causes a problem, but a smaller plaque that just happens to break loose can cause a stroke. etc etc)

Old 12-01-2018, 08:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Whatever you do, don't even insinuate that prescriptions for opiates might be part of the problem, or the wrath of Khan may descend upon you.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:38 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
http://https://www.ajc.com/lifestyle...nKfw8exIvdVMM/

Has anyone else noticed something similar? Are you less healthy than your parents in spite of ostensibly better health habits?
Who decides what are "ostensibly better health habits?"

I probably have a lot of "health habits" that are opposite of what some people think they're supposed to do.

I'm 60 and healthier than my siblings and mom.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:11 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,601,279 times
At this rate we'll all be dead soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness