U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-03-2018, 07:18 AM
 
20,352 posts, read 28,635,043 times
Reputation: 18298

Advertisements

Enough of the blame on opiates. Are they an issue? Yes, of course...but not the primary source. The elephant in the room is preventative care, which is now largely an unaffordable option for many Americans due to either high deductible health insurance policies or having no insurance at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-03-2018, 08:33 AM
 
Location: colorado springs, CO
4,157 posts, read 1,865,627 times
Reputation: 14395
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
What is it with Tramadol? My brother has neuropathy and was given a Tramaold rx, but only two per day which does very little to alleviate his pain. It surely isn't fentanyl but....
Ugh, Tramadol. Itís a synthetic opioid with only one tenth the potency of morphine. Itís not even a schedule II drug; itís a schedule IV; meaning low potential for abuse, yet it has been trafficked due to a high potential for tampering.

Itís a Seratonin-mediating drug; meaning a certain % of people are not genetically able to properly metabolize it: Between 2004-2011, the number of tramadol-related ED visits due to adverse effects increased by 300% & ED visits due to tramadol-related suicide attempts increased by nearly 400%. The Painful Reality Behind America's Surge in Tramadol Prescriptions - Emergency Physicians Monthly

I was working on a surgical floor when Tramadol became the latest & greatest. The thing about hospitals, though; is that they make money by getting people in & then out of those beds. Those beds have someone elseís name on them before the discharge orders are even written & if a patient isnít doing so well & doesnít get discharged; everyone scrambles.

One of the criteria for discharging surgical patients is pain control & surgeons will be the first doctors to notice if a drug is not effective for pain because their patients on that drug will not be able to go home. Some doctors would still prescribe it but usually for after-discharge use; not inpatient use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2018, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
21,381 posts, read 15,689,121 times
Reputation: 24363
I live in a small town in Tennessee.

Areas that were once economically viable from a medical perspective just aren't anymore. Rural hospitals are closing around the country. Medicaid reimbursement rates are awful. Providers and medical staff generally don't want to live in the middle of nowhere. Wages for healthcare workers are low.

Add in all these factors with a toxic mix of drug abuse, and it's no wonder life expediencies are falling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2018, 11:05 AM
 
18,458 posts, read 10,104,791 times
Reputation: 18082
I don't bother with life expectancy stats unless they include breakouts identifying life expectancies after ranges of attained ages, such as:

A person who has lived to 50 in 2018 will live to XX
A person who has lived to 60 in 2018 will live to XX
A person who has lived to 70 in 2018 will live to XX

And figures that include things like suicide, infant mortality, and drug overdoses are just bogus and agenda-driven, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2018, 11:08 AM
 
18,458 posts, read 10,104,791 times
Reputation: 18082
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Enough of the blame on opiates. Are they an issue? Yes, of course...but not the primary source. The elephant in the room is preventative care, which is now largely an unaffordable option for many Americans due to either high deductible health insurance policies or having no insurance at all.
It will be said that Americans won't use preventative care anyway (who wants to hear the doctor harping on your weight every visit?).

What that means is that the US population does need a mind-shift on the subject. But that mind-shift can't begin when the choice is too expensive to consider in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2018, 11:16 AM
 
5,371 posts, read 3,096,435 times
Reputation: 18315
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Gotta start viewing addiction as a symptom...
Abuse of drugs or alcohol are symptoms.

Addiction is a primary illness with roots in genetics. And not everyone who becomes addicted did so because they were mentally ill. Addiction also causes mental illness.

No one has mentioned social attitudes toward spirituality as being a contributing factor in a decline of hope and a tendency toward suicide. I think a failure to integrate the rational and the spiritual fails to address the whole of human health needs.

This is primarily caused, I think, by a misunderstanding of the wider meaning of spirituality. Perversely, advances in science seem to play a part in our declining mental health..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2018, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,289 posts, read 99,557,388 times
Reputation: 31811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It will be said that Americans won't use preventative care anyway (who wants to hear the doctor harping on your weight every visit?).

What that means is that the US population does need a mind-shift on the subject. But that mind-shift can't begin when the choice is too expensive to consider in the first place.
Do you even know what preventive care is? It's your annual physical, screenings, immunizations, things like that. ACA insurance, which is most insurance, covers it. People do like to use "cost" as an excuse, even when they're insured.
https://www.healthcare.gov/preventive-care-adults/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Thanks for this info. Unfortunately, this happened three years ago and I donít have the information I need to fill out the form. I donít even remember exactly where and when I had the shot. I just remember the result, unfortunately. The bad thing is now Iím afraid of getting vaccinated again. I suppose when I get old enough, Iíll just take this risk. For now, Iím relying on herd immunity, or more specifically my husbandís immunity since he has been really good about getting his shot to protect me as well as himself.
You should report it anyway. VAERS will accept anything. Surely you can find some type of documentation for when and where, say an old cancelled check with the office name, or a credit card statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2018, 06:27 PM
 
18,458 posts, read 10,104,791 times
Reputation: 18082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Do you even know what preventive care is? It's your annual physical, screenings, immunizations, things like that. ACA insurance, which is most insurance, covers it. People do like to use "cost" as an excuse, even when they're insured.
.
The cost doesn't bother me--DoD pays my costs.

But insurance isn't free and a whole lot of people are not insured and a lot more can't afford the level of coverage to make an elective trip to the doctor a non-budgetary factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2018, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,289 posts, read 99,557,388 times
Reputation: 31811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The cost doesn't bother me--DoD pays my costs.

But insurance isn't free and a whole lot of people are not insured and a lot more can't afford the level of coverage to make an elective trip to the doctor a non-budgetary factor.
You missed my point. ACA insurance, which is almost all insurance, is required to cover this stuff with no cost-sharing (co-pays, deductibles, etc) on the part of the patient.

Yes, too many are uninsured. However, the number is much lower than in previous years.
https://www.kff.org/uninsured/fact-s...ed-population/

Here is some good information about the uninsured.
https://www.census.gov/newsroom/blog..._uninsure.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2018, 08:30 PM
 
18,458 posts, read 10,104,791 times
Reputation: 18082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You missed my point. ACA insurance, which is almost all insurance, is required to cover this stuff with no cost-sharing (co-pays, deductibles, etc) on the part of the patient.
An annual checkup, yes, if they find a doctor who takes their insurance. But preventative care really involves more than an annual checkup.

Quote:
Yes, too many are uninsured. However, the number is much lower than in previous years.
https://www.kff.org/uninsured/fact-s...ed-population/
Here is some good information about the uninsured.
https://www.census.gov/newsroom/blog..._uninsure.html
You're showing me information affected by the ACA, which I'm sure you realize the Trump Administration is working to dismantle. And what they can't dismantle, they're giving states the power to strangle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top