U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 08:37 AM

4,776 posts, read 3,298,677 times

Advertisements

This sounds nuts, but I've had a debilitating headache and pain radiating from upper jaw to top of head on left side of my face for a couple weeks. The pain seemed to center around my left eye. At first I thought it was sinus related so regular doc prescribed antibiotics, but no relief after a week so I went to an eye doc and she said I had some arthritis in my left eye. Never heard of such a thing and Interweb searches turn up little, other than "it's possible". I'm taking aleve and prednisone drops in my left eye and it seems better. She asked if I've ever had any other arthritis symptoms and the answer is no, nada, zip, I'm strong as a bull with no other pain and I exercise regularly. I have a follow-up appointment next week. Just wondering if anyone has had such a thing? and if so, what was the prognosis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 09:30 AM

19,088 posts, read 3,922,562 times
No but that's fascinating...going to research it. Hope you're better soon..

Old 12-01-2018, 12:18 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,572,425 times
arthritis or arteritis?? No joints in the eye.

Giant cell arteritis -- google that.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:19 PM

1,466 posts, read 710,872 times
You can read more about it here, if you'd like:

https://www.arthritis.org/living-wit...-arthritis.php

Old 12-01-2018, 06:59 PM

21,812 posts, read 26,472,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
This sounds nuts, but I've had a debilitating headache and pain radiating from upper jaw to top of head on left side of my face for a couple weeks. The pain seemed to center around my left eye. At first I thought it was sinus related so regular doc prescribed antibiotics, but no relief after a week so I went to an eye doc and she said I had some arthritis in my left eye. Never heard of such a thing and Interweb searches turn up little, other than "it's possible". I'm taking aleve and prednisone drops in my left eye and it seems better. She asked if I've ever had any other arthritis symptoms and the answer is no, nada, zip, I'm strong as a bull with no other pain and I exercise regularly. I have a follow-up appointment next week. Just wondering if anyone has had such a thing? and if so, what was the prognosis?
Perhaps your doctor said "iritis," not arthritis.

As oldgardener's link points out, some types of arthritis can have associated eye problems, but by definition arthritis involves joints. That is why you were asked about arthritis.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20354961

Old 12-02-2018, 07:21 PM

4,680 posts, read 10,587,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Perhaps your doctor said "iritis," not arthritis.

As oldgardener's link points out, some types of arthritis can have associated eye problems, but by definition arthritis involves joints. That is why you were asked about arthritis.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20354961
This is all exactly true....

It is not possible to have "arthritis" of the eye....rheumatologic conditions like RA and Sjogren's can result in eye symptoms but its not "arthritis of the eye"

You must have misheard what was being stated..

The most common "itis" of the eye which is commonly associated with joint arthritis is "uveitis" but iritis and arteritis are also possible...along with scleritis

grampaTom is exactly right about the giant cell arteritis which would certainly "sound" the most like arthritis but that is a potentially serious diagnosis hard to believe they would have let you leave without at least doing lab work such as a sedimentation rate.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:30 PM

4,776 posts, read 3,298,677 times
Thanks for all the info. Had a follow up today and she said it's scleritis, which is apparently more common with people who already have arthritis. I was in a bad way when I first went to see her so must have heard it wrong. Anyway, still some inflammation, but much better so she wants me to continue with prednisolone drops and aleve for another week She said the cause is an autoimmune disorder in 50% of cases and for the other 50%, it's usually unknown.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:51 AM

21,812 posts, read 26,472,375 times
Glad you are better!

Old 12-04-2018, 10:17 AM

1,827 posts, read 679,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post

Scleritis is a clinical diagnosis based on history & physical exam, and usually pretty obvious to the doctor on first presentation (the white of the eye inflamed/blood shot & vision often affected). If there is pain, it's usually obviously the eye as source with headaches or jaw pain secondary. Scleritis can be the first thing showing in what will turn out to be a more generalized auto-immune disease like RA later on.

OTOH- your description doesn't seem to emphasize the eye and sounds more like trigeminal neuralgia to me. (Eye doesn't get bloodshot in TN) You seem to have improved coincidentally with use of medicated eye drops after weeks of suffering without treatment. Trigeminal neuralgia usually takes a few days to a couple weeks to resolve by itself. Was it the meds or just time for it to go away by itself?

Old 12-04-2018, 08:56 PM

4,680 posts, read 10,587,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Scleritis is a clinical diagnosis based on history & physical exam, and usually pretty obvious to the doctor on first presentation (the white of the eye inflamed/blood shot & vision often affected). If there is pain, it's usually obviously the eye as source with headaches or jaw pain secondary. Scleritis can be the first thing showing in what will turn out to be a more generalized auto-immune disease like RA later on.

OTOH- your description doesn't seem to emphasize the eye and sounds more like trigeminal neuralgia to me. (Eye doesn't get bloodshot in TN) You seem to have improved coincidentally with use of medicated eye drops after weeks of suffering without treatment. Trigeminal neuralgia usually takes a few days to a couple weeks to resolve by itself. Was it the meds or just time for it to go away by itself?
The OP already stated her problem was in fact scleritis and the symptoms described in the OP are classic for scleritis with pain radiating from jaw to head exactly as described the doc also made the diagnosis after an eye exam....it also typically responds to steroid treatment just as described by the OP

The symptoms sound NOTHING like Trigeminal Neuralgia which typically presents as SHORT bursts of intense pain, not pain that lasts a couple of weeks as noted...there would have also been nothing on an eye exam to suggest scleritis that was actually Trigeminal Neuralgia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness