U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 10:22 AM

793 posts, read 387,795 times

Advertisements

I use those pain patches on my hands and hips.....does help a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 03:26 PM

2,875 posts, read 6,293,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
A lot of NSAID's are toxic to the liver and kidneys when taken regularly for a chronic condition, over a long period. Even Tylenol.
Actually, NSAIDS including ibuprofen are not metabolized by the liver and rarely lead to any liver difficulties. Acetominophen (Tylenol) on the other had IS metabolized by the liver and should be taken with caution if you have any liver problems or drink alcohol.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:35 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,337,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I believe Celebrex is similar to or close to the drug Vioxx which was taken off the market not long after it came on the scene. I have never taken it and fear it also, and cost for me is prohibitive. I took a pharma drug back in the 80's for inflammation and it gave me a stomach ulcer, nope.

After insurance itís less than Advil for me. I pay $5 for a 30 day supply. It is similar but doesnít have the same issues as vioxx. All meds have risks though and you have to weigh those with the benefits.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:45 PM

19,557 posts, read 6,477,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
After insurance itís less than Advil for me. I pay $5 for a 30 day supply. It is similar but doesnít have the same issues as vioxx. All meds have risks though and you have to weigh those with the benefits.
That's great for you, I don't buy drug insurance, so I have none. Even the generic celebrex was going to be like $80/mo so I said "s***w it"...I'll take my chances with generic ibuprofen.

Is the celebrex doing a great job for you? And you are speaking to choir about all drugs and risks.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:48 PM

19,274 posts, read 10,318,258 times
I like Aleve/Naproxen Sodium. I find it far more effective than ibuprofen. I limit how much I take though (interaction with other medication I'm on for unrelated issues) so perhaps only taking a pill once or twice a week keeps it more effective than if I was taking it all the time?

I also take glucosamine chondroitin. Maybe it's a placebo effect but I do feel that it helps.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:36 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,496,506 times
If you live in a state with legal cannabis, you might try CBD mints or other edibles. They contain very little THC, the psychoactive ingredient in pot. I use them at night sometimes for some chronic muscle pain I have when it flares up, and they help.

"The first controlled trial to evaluate the use of cannabis-based medicine to treat RA happened in 2006. Researchers concluded that, after five weeks of use, a cannabis-based medication called Sativex reduced inflammation and significantly improved pain. Participants also reported improved sleep, and most of the side effects were mild.

A 2008 review of the use of CBD to treat chronic pain similarly concluded that CBD reduced pain and improved sleep without any negative side effects.

In 2016, another study was done using CBD gel on rats. Researchers again found that the CBD gel reduced both joint pain and inflammation without any side effects."

https://www.healthline.com/health/cb...toid-arthritis

Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM

2,410 posts, read 1,106,229 times
Thank you all for your help. I tried to rep as many as I could, a few I couldn't because evidently I rep you too much and must spread the love around (Thanks Republican)

So, I am an OA sufferer (lol, thanks mom, grand mom, back and back) my right knee and feet are my main problem areas.
I do get cortisone shots in the knee but I know that they actually break down cartilage faster so I'm trying to limit or extend the number of times I do that.

It's really weird, the primary problems is at night, it just seems to be that things start throbbing. Once I get up and moving its better.

lol, You all should see me in the morning. It's like a bad impression of the bride of Frankenstein walking.

luckily I'm not on any other medication (knock on wood)

Old Yesterday, 07:14 AM

9,257 posts, read 6,448,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Actually, NSAIDS including ibuprofen are not metabolized by the liver and rarely lead to any liver difficulties. Acetominophen (Tylenol) on the other had IS metabolized by the liver and should be taken with caution if you have any liver problems or drink alcohol.
But NSAIDS can be hard on the kidneys if taken for a long period of time, as in for a chronic condition, or in doses above those recommended. My husband had to cut out his NSAID use significantly as they were beginning to affect his kidneys. He uses acetominophen for pain now.

NSAIDS also carry the risk of gastric inflammation, ulcers. My go to for control of the pain associated with shoulder bursitis flareups has always been Aleve, it did a great job. But even with never taking more than recommended, and never on an empty stomach, a round or two of bleeding gastric ulcers has left me either substituting acetominophen, or taking a minimal dose of Aleve occasionally with extra stomach protection when it gets that bad. I miss my Aleve but don't want any more ulcers.

Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM

1,518 posts, read 715,379 times
I am 64 and have had arthritis since about age 8-10. Possibly before that, but that is when I began noticing symptoms. No one could tell me what type of arthritis I have. I gave up trying to find out about 25 years ago.

About 10 or so years ago, I found out that I had considerable joint damage, back, hips, knees, hands. I had to do something. Eventually, I had an epiphany: I should try changing my diet.

Long story short, I started by eliminating wheat products. After about 4 weeks, I had a huge improvement but it still wasn't good enough. Next up: dairy. My dairy intake? A small amount of cream in my one cup of coffee per day. No one, including me, would have thought that such a small amount could be causing problems. Well, it was.

I experimented a lot with diet until I found a solution for me. It's not easy and it's time consuming. I would encourage everyone to try changing diet. Begin with eliminating foods that are known to affect many arthritis sufferers. Don't assume that a small amount of something is not contributing to your pain because it may be.

These days, I don't take anything internally for pain because I almost never experience it. Occasionally when it's cold and damp I might have some mild pain, but rubbing Arnicare or Blu-Emu on the area takes care of it.

Last edited by SimplySagacious; Yesterday at 10:05 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM

5,346 posts, read 3,085,452 times
I have the best luck with twenty-four hour Aleve. I try also to take it sparingly. It's only for the days when a little light stretching/exercise doesn't loosen things up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or