U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 06:14 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,522,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Neurologists tend to draw from the super nerds of med school classes.
While you gave me a laugh your assertion isn't true...replace super nerds with super achievers and you would be on point...most of the "nerds" in med school with my daughter will probably wind up in research as they lack the ability to connect with patients as well as colleagues...a neurologist is trying to prevent you from falling off a cliff...if you're seeing a neuro surgeon you have already gone off the cliff...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 06:47 PM

13,710 posts, read 7,361,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
This kind of reinforces what I think about diet and Alzheimer's & Dementia.

Researchers from the Mayo Clinic, for example, revealed that deriving most of dietary calories from carbohydrates was associated with an 89% increased risk for either mild cognitive impairment, or full-blown dementia. In their study, those consuming the highest levels of fat actually demonstrated a 44% reduction in risk.

Along with the increase in obesity and related conditions such as diabetes, we have seen a significant increase in Alzheimer's and Dementia. IMO, this correlates with an increased consumption of refined carbohydrates as in the SAD (Standard American Diet).

Article: I'm a Brain Doctor, and This Is What I Do to Prevent Alzheimer's
Is that quote from Perlmutter? Because it seems this quote from Perlmutter (apparently) is a bit of an overstatement. What I find most interesting about the study is that when they split people into quartiles the range of differences in the percentages of carbs/protein/fat were actually pretty narrow:

Carbs Highest quartile >58% Lowest quartile< 47%
(per the study, this translates to Total carbs for the highest as > 299 grams daily vs. 172 grams daily for the lowest)
Fat Highest > 35% Lowest < 27%
Protein Highest > 20% Lowest < 16%

So it's not as though people need to be on a "low carb" diet - a LOWER carb diet is all that's needed. And rather than encourage some kind of "high fat" diet - there's only a 4% spread in their study from high to low - you don't need to eat bacon and salami all day to hit that. Perlmutter could have definitely been clearer in terms of making any recommendations - he says he limits his carbs to 30-50 "net carbs" whatever that means and a "lot of terrific fat" - both seem extreme based on the study cited.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:02 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON!"*"CHRISTE, ELEISON" KYRIE, ELEISON!"0)
2,564 posts, read 4,961,622 times
Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
This kind of reinforces what I think about diet and Alzheimer's & Dementia.

Along with the increase in obesity and related conditions such as diabetes, we have seen a significant increase in Alzheimer's and Dementia. IMO, this correlates with an increased consumption of refined carbohydrates as in the SAD (Standard American Diet).

Article: I'm a Brain Doctor, and This Is What I Do to Prevent Alzheimer's

I believe that preventive measures is key! Thanks for the link

The fat free fad diets have hurt so many people

Old Yesterday, 06:20 AM

3,178 posts, read 1,279,244 times
I thought they recently discovered a link between a type of herpes virus and dementia/Alzheimerís? I am not sure what that has to do with eating carbohydrates. Then again, I would imagine most people donít eat 80%+ carbs or more... that is a lot of carbohydrates.

Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM

7,194 posts, read 5,345,960 times
Quote:
I knew that but decided to leave the post as is, just to see if someone would spot that.

So, since he is just a neurologist and not an actual brain surgeon, that makes him dumb?

So other than the nitpicking, anything else about the actual information here?
No, the man is wickedly intelligent, but that doesn't mean he's correct, or that he doesn't come with the baggage of conflicts of interest. The man has published half a dozen books he'd like you to buy that promote his gluten free, low carb approach.

Quote:
Perlmutter and his books have faced criticism from other physicians and commentators.[16] For example, Nash and Slutzky (2014) have written that "according to Grain Brain, much chronic disease originates in the widespread ingestion of carbohydrates, and these foodstuff, rather than cholesterol or saturated fats, are the premier contributor to an unhealthy individual. Numerous recent studies, however, have provided high-level evidence to the contrary."[16]

Epidemiologist David Katz, founding director of the Yale-Griffin Prevention Research Center at Griffin Hospital in Derby, CT, has criticized Grain Brain, calling it a "silly book" and saying "Perlmutter is way ahead of any justifiable conclusion."[17]

Microbiome expert Jonathan Eisen criticized Brain Maker in blunt terms. “To think we can magically heal diseases by changing to a gluten-free diet and taking some probiotics is idiotic...It resembles more the presentation of a snake-oil salesman than that of a person interested in actually figuring out how to help people.”[1]

Perlmutter's advice to parents that they should ask their pediatricians about scheduling childhood vaccinations separately[1] is contrary to advice from the CDC[18] and the American Academy of Pediatrics.[19]

David Perlmutter is listed by Quackwatch as a promoter of questionable health products.
I still agree that Americans eat too many carbs.

Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM

3,003 posts, read 2,002,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Is that quote from Perlmutter? Because it seems this quote from Perlmutter (apparently) is a bit of an overstatement. What I find most interesting about the study is that when they split people into quartiles the range of differences in the percentages of carbs/protein/fat were actually pretty narrow:

Carbs Highest quartile >58% Lowest quartile< 47%
(per the study, this translates to Total carbs for the highest as > 299 grams daily vs. 172 grams daily for the lowest)
Fat Highest > 35% Lowest < 27%
Protein Highest > 20% Lowest < 16%

So it's not as though people need to be on a "low carb" diet - a LOWER carb diet is all that's needed. And rather than encourage some kind of "high fat" diet - there's only a 4% spread in their study from high to low - you don't need to eat bacon and salami all day to hit that. Perlmutter could have definitely been clearer in terms of making any recommendations - he says he limits his carbs to 30-50 "net carbs" whatever that means and a "lot of terrific fat" - both seem extreme based on the study cited.
Sorry, if you can't read, I can't help you. This is not the place and I am not the person.

Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM

3,003 posts, read 2,002,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
No, the man is wickedly intelligent, but that doesn't mean he's correct, or that he doesn't come with the baggage of conflicts of interest. The man has published half a dozen books he'd like you to buy that promote his gluten free, low carb approach.

I still agree that Americans eat too many carbs.
It doesn't mean he's incorrect either.

Isn't this what happens when someone thinks "outside the box". It's happened many times before and MANY people have been proven wrong. I didn't say it was mainstream and mainstream has gotten us in trouble many times before, hasn't it? Gee, let me think of one example, sugar, sugar, sugar. People are barely coming around to that one. How many years were sugar-laden products sold without repercussion. Oh wait, they still are. No warning labels on food products that contain sugar. It's fine every now and then as treats, but eating sugar at every meal, sodas, candies, pastries, processed foods, the list goes on and on but yet, people keep eating it and getting fatter and fatter. That's OK right?

Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM

4,144 posts, read 1,857,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I thought they recently discovered a link between a type of herpes virus and dementia/Alzheimer’s? I am not sure what that has to do with eating carbohydrates. Then again, I would imagine most people don’t eat 80%+ carbs or more... that is a lot of carbohydrates.
You are correct.

The microglial impairment in Alzheimer’s is virally immune mediated, in the same manner as the microglial impairment in Autism; is virally immune-mediated.

I know a Herpes virus has been suspected in Autism as well but not confirmed. There are several potential viral triggers for Autism being studied but I suspect that they will need to look at a prior immune response that renders the brain more susceptible to these viral triggers; for both Alzheimer’s & Autism.

Once the regressions have started, I doubt there is anything that can stop it, much less reverse it but I think it’s possible that dietary changes could help with the symptoms. It’s the day-in, day-out, hands on, all night caregivers of people with Alzheimer’s who will provide the expert testimony to this occurrence.

Editing to add link: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0531132645.htm

Last edited by coschristi; Yesterday at 09:16 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM

7,194 posts, read 5,345,960 times
Quote:
It doesn't mean he's incorrect either.

Isn't this what happens when someone thinks "outside the box". It's happened many times before and MANY people have been proven wrong. I didn't say it was mainstream and mainstream has gotten us in trouble many times before, hasn't it? Gee, let me think of one example, sugar, sugar, sugar. People are barely coming around to that one. How many years were sugar-laden products sold without repercussion. Oh wait, they still are. No warning labels on food products that contain sugar. It's fine every now and then as treats, but eating sugar at every meal, sodas, candies, pastries, processed foods, the list goes on and on but yet, people keep eating it and getting fatter and fatter. That's OK right?
No one said he's incorrect. Even broken clocks are right twice a day.

And your argument about sugar is a red herring. No one's talking about sugar, directly, and no one ever said that sugar is healthy, certainly not within the boundaries of this discussion, and not even really in the broader discussion of our history of dietary advice. The closes you got was the "Fat is evil, Carbs Good" which sounds similar but isn't. Even the original USDA food Pyramid, that said we should eat 6-11 servings of carbs a day, said sweets should be eaten "sparingly."

People keep getting fatter because they eat more calories than they consume. Sugar/Carbs vs Fat vs Protein and making sure the right vitamins and minerals are there are all important, but ultimately going sugar or carb free vs fat free is simply a means of reducing calories.

Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM

13,132 posts, read 10,957,167 times

Microbiome expert Jonathan Eisen criticized Brain Maker in blunt terms. “To think we can magically heal diseases by changing to a gluten-free diet and taking some probiotics is idiotic...It resembles more the presentation of a snake-oil salesman than that of a person interested in actually figuring out how to help people.”[1]

Man, who is this guy...we are what we eat.
A month on the proper diet and water and our liver is renewed and many other things cleansed so our
body can heal itself....ah
....dah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or