U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Southern California
19,568 posts, read 6,485,366 times
Reputation: 13180

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySam16 View Post
jamin:

Yes! I have been researching blue lights for quite a bit now. I own orange glasses that I don after dusk and many of my lamps have the yellow bulbs. I try to get enough good sleep and so far it is working! My chamomile tincture is helping too.

The room I sleep in has no electricity at night. NO light coming in at all other than the yellow night light I leave on for dog.

I also did a little reading up on emfs/rfs and all that so I eliminated unnecessary metal/electrical items as much as possible.

Finding I am Apoe 3/4 I have become OBSESSED over my health. And scared to freeking death alzheimer's or dementia is gonna get me.

Oh, my computer also dims with my time of dusk. But I limit blue lights at night/tv/etc. Or, just wear the silly orange color glasses over my readers. I am 62.

ETA: Made an appt to see a doc about hormones and dementia that was over five weeks waiting for.
I forgot! She is out of my insurance network and I was self pay. Need to reschedule.
Look at LifeExtension's work on DHEA. I've been taking it for probably 20 yrs and have off and on gotten labs done to see where my levels are. MANY are very low with age, we start to decline at 20-30 yrs.

I have info posted in Alt Med here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM
 
100 posts, read 30,168 times
Reputation: 96
I may just add that one to my next blood tests. Would the blood draw for DHEA be good or perhaps the saliva test?

I try to make sure - as much as possible - if I am deficient before taking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Southern California
19,568 posts, read 6,485,366 times
Reputation: 13180
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySam16 View Post
I may just add that one to my next blood tests. Would the blood draw for DHEA be good or perhaps the saliva test?

I try to make sure - as much as possible - if I am deficient before taking.
I do all blood labs just don't bother with saliva test. Read the history of DHEA, it declines in our bodies with age. I'm a very young 80, in looks and spirit, just the creaky arthritis is my downfall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Brawndo-Thirst-Mutilator-Nation
15,516 posts, read 15,459,577 times
Reputation: 11278
Type-3 diabetes, cerebral insulin-resistance, is a concept that is getting more and more attention as a major contributor
to alzheimer's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM
 
Location: McAllen, TX
3,003 posts, read 2,002,913 times
Reputation: 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
90% is too much...but who in the study ate 90% of cals from carbs? The highest percentage category was much lower than that - 58% was the cutpoint for the highest quartile.
Admittingly it is hard to find since only a link to an abstract was posted. Here is the full study and it's quite extensive.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3494735/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Central IL
13,710 posts, read 7,361,971 times
Reputation: 31756
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Admittingly it is hard to find since only a link to an abstract was posted. Here is the full study and it's quite extensive.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3494735/
I read the whole study - that's why I'm asking where you got anywhere near a diet of 90% cals from carbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM
 
552 posts, read 354,033 times
Reputation: 3051
My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimers a few years ago. I did a lot of research on intermittant fasting and greatly reducing his carbs.[ I reseaarched other info too, but these were the most promising] So far, I can't get him to do the intermittant fasting, but we have waaaaay cut down on carbs.

Now, about 10 days or so ago, we were looking at pictures of our 2 month old great-granddaughter [who was born premature] on my grandaughters facebook page. He pointed to a video of a little girl, 3 or 4 years old, who was singing 'Bohemian rhapsody" and my husband thought that was Eleanora[ 2 month old great-grand daughter] I was pretty devastated, but actually, things like this are NOT happening more and more. It is possible that they are happening less often.

Since being on the low carb diet he does not seem to get confused as easily, is less cranky [he was NEVER cranky before he got sick] and seems to have somewhat more energy. He seems to be doing better in all ways except for his walk changing [like a shuffle I guess]

I suspect that things will get worse, much worse eventually, but for now, we are both happy and enjoying each other, and life in general. I can not say for a FACT that the change in diet has helped him, but I am not going to test it to find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Southern California
19,568 posts, read 6,485,366 times
Reputation: 13180
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimers a few years ago. I did a lot of research on intermittant fasting and greatly reducing his carbs.[ I reseaarched other info too, but these were the most promising] So far, I can't get him to do the intermittant fasting, but we have waaaaay cut down on carbs.

Now, about 10 days or so ago, we were looking at pictures of our 2 month old great-granddaughter [who was born premature] on my grandaughters facebook page. He pointed to a video of a little girl, 3 or 4 years old, who was singing 'Bohemian rhapsody" and my husband thought that was Eleanora[ 2 month old great-grand daughter] I was pretty devastated, but actually, things like this are NOT happening more and more. It is possible that they are happening less often.

Since being on the low carb diet he does not seem to get confused as easily, is less cranky [he was NEVER cranky before he got sick] and seems to have somewhat more energy. He seems to be doing better in all ways except for his walk changing [like a shuffle I guess]

I suspect that things will get worse, much worse eventually, but for now, we are both happy and enjoying each other, and life in general. I can not say for a FACT that the change in diet has helped him, but I am not going to test it to find out.
Nice story, and glad you did all the work you did to get to this point. Just wondering did the mainstream doctors lecture on low carb, high fat diet? Have you read Dr. Mary Newport's story and her husband and coconut oil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:12 PM
 
552 posts, read 354,033 times
Reputation: 3051
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Nice story, and glad you did all the work you did to get to this point. Just wondering did the mainstream doctors lecture on low carb, high fat diet? Have you read Dr. Mary Newport's story and her husband and coconut oil?
Yes, I have read about Mary Newport and we do use coconut oil n our meals. Mainstream doctors, particularly neurologists, seem to have a problem with anything that was not part of their curriculum in school. I have had more difficulties over the years with neurologists, who, because they are in the top one percent of the top one percent in IQ, tend to believe that they are in fact "Doctor God",.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:40 PM
 
2,537 posts, read 4,499,384 times
Reputation: 6101
Why not go right to the source?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...k/art-20342112

"Dubbed the "MIND" diet, short for Mediterranean-DASH Intervention for Neurodegenerative Delay, this eating pattern goes big on natural plant-based foods while limiting red meat, saturated fat and sweets." So anyone who's claiming you just need to cut carbs is missing a major portion of the recommended dietary limitations and is probably going to go overboard on the saturated fats and red meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top