U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 06:22 AM

13,710 posts, read 7,361,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Why not go right to the source?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...k/art-20342112

"Dubbed the "MIND" diet, short for Mediterranean-DASH Intervention for Neurodegenerative Delay, this eating pattern goes big on natural plant-based foods while limiting red meat, saturated fat and sweets." So anyone who's claiming you just need to cut carbs is missing a major portion of the recommended dietary limitations and is probably going to go overboard on the saturated fats and red meat.
Oh come on - if it's not extreme how can you brag to everyone about you doing it?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:40 AM

3,003 posts, read 2,002,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I read the whole study - that's why I'm asking where you got anywhere near a diet of 90% cals from carbs.
I misspoke apparently. The 89% was a risk level increase, not the percentage of carbs consumed, my mistake. After thinking about it, it would be impossible to get that percentage from a study like this.

The article does mention this.
Quote:
Our most well-respected medical literature reveals powerful relationships between various lifestyle choices and risk for developing Alzheimer’s disease. Researchers from the Mayo Clinic, for example, revealed that deriving most of dietary calories from carbohydrates was associated with an 89% increased risk for either mild cognitive impairment, or full-blown dementia. In their study, those consuming the highest levels of fat actually demonstrated a 44% reduction in risk.
There was also this link to this article which I didn't even look at before.
Glucose Levels and Risk of Dementia

Last edited by gguerra; Today at 09:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or