Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 01:31 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Frankly, I had no idea who he was. I was concentrating on the content, not the writer. So that means the message is complete BS then? He pulled it out of his rear end?

lol.

Last time I checked, "Brain Surgery" was the epitome being smart.
Well, the problem is I don't KNOW what end he pulled it out of. Did he reference any particular studies? He's hanging it all on a degree he got 30+ years ago and I don't know what he has done in the meantime. Does he keep up with the current research? If so, I want to see the studies he thought were well done enough for him to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 01:32 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Amazing how so many are closed minded to the holistic ways of prevention and especially the dementia issue, so perhaps one day you'll be sitting in that rocker not knowing what is going on. I don't plan on that and so far doctors like Perlmutter's info have kept my mind good as I passed 80 yrs.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:34 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Well, the problem is I don't KNOW what end he pulled it out of. Did he reference any particular studies? He's hanging it all on a degree he got 30+ years ago and I don't know what he has done in the meantime. Does he keep up with the current research? If so, I want to see the studies he thought were well done enough for him to consider.
So I guess you have no desire to read any of his info and best selling books? That's what he's been doing, and have many other holistic type MD's. Working with the whole body which included nutrition and not just taking the toxic drugs once the the memory is about gone.

I think everyone against Perlmutter types, should just keep their minds closed.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 12-03-2018 at 01:43 PM..

Old 12-03-2018, 02:12 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
So, since he is just a neurologist and not an actual brain surgeon, that makes him dumb?

So other than the nitpicking, anything else about the actual information here?
Dumb and unreliable/nutty aren't necessarily related... plenty of smart people are cuckoo!

Now, I have no idea if this doctor is reliable or not, since I've never heard of him. Just sayin'.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:16 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Amazing how so many are closed minded to the holistic ways of prevention and especially the dementia issue, so perhaps one day you'll be sitting in that rocker not knowing what is going on. I don't plan on that and so far doctors like Perlmutter's info have kept my mind good as I passed 80 yrs.
Having a father with Alzheimer's, I have only learned that if it's coming it's coming - no matter what you do to prevent it. He was a brilliant man, constantly exercising his brain (he could literally do calculus in his head), and lived a fairly healthy lifestyle too. Still got him, and genetically there's a chance it'll get me and/or my siblings too. So all I can do is hope for a cure!

Of course it doesn't hurt to TRY preventative measures, but so far all of these "miracle cures" (like coconut milk) have proven ineffective. Can't fight the brain, I guess.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Open-minded is not synonymous with accepting whatever someone says on the internet. I want to know if this is HIS thinking alone or whether he heard it from some Martian aliens the last time he visited! Is he basing it on some recent research? Old research? ANY research?

Why is it wrong to want to know the source?

Old 12-03-2018, 03:09 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Fact is, and nobody can dispute this, I don't see any progress on curing this or even identifying the cause, nothing.

It's not like anybody has a better idea?

So instead of treating it after it happens which has been a total failure so far, what's wrong with trying to prevent it?

Food is medicine, regardless of who says it. There's nothing wacky about that.

And I'm not saying a certain diet will cure this, it may prevent it though.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Open-minded is not synonymous with accepting whatever someone says on the internet. I want to know if this is HIS thinking alone or whether he heard it from some Martian aliens the last time he visited! Is he basing it on some recent research? Old research? ANY research?

Why is it wrong to want to know the source?
You keep asking this, try actually reading the article. This is one of his sources and I'll make it easy for you, I'll quote AGAIN, as I did in the OP.

Quote:
Our most well-respected medical literature reveals powerful relationships between various lifestyle choices and risk for developing Alzheimer’s disease. Researchers from the Mayo Clinic, for example, revealed that deriving most of dietary calories from carbohydrates was associated with an 89% increased risk for either mild cognitive impairment, or full-blown dementia. In their study, those consuming the highest levels of fat actually demonstrated a 44% reduction in risk. And this is in-line with a New England Journal of Medicine Study showing how Alzheimer’s risk is increased in lockstep with blood sugar measurements, a reflection of dietary choices.
Source
Relative intake of macronutrients impacts risk of mild cognitive impairment or dementia.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Fact is, and nobody can dispute this, I don't see any progress on curing this or even identifying the cause, nothing.

It's not like anybody has a better idea?

So instead of treating it after it happens which has been a total failure so far, what's wrong with trying to prevent it?

Food is medicine, regardless of who says it. There's nothing wacky about that.

And I'm not saying a certain diet will cure this, it may prevent it though.
To the extent that the diet MAY help dementia - you still have to look at the "whole person" - I thought the whole idea was holistic?

When you start gearing everything toward preventing dementia, what does that do to cancer rates? Heart disease? Diabetes? I'm just posing the question because what people so often do is look at ONE thing and go whole hog...then end up bashing science because they got some other disease they supposedly didn't care about.

Oh I know - if you're outta your mind who cares if you're healthy otherwise? I would beware of short sighted solutions - the middle road is often best.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
To the extent that the diet MAY help dementia - you still have to look at the "whole person" - I thought the whole idea was holistic?

When you start gearing everything toward preventing dementia, what does that do to cancer rates? Heart disease? Diabetes? I'm just posing the question because what people so often do is look at ONE thing and go whole hog...then end up bashing science because they got some other disease they supposedly didn't care about.

Oh I know - if you're outta your mind who cares if you're healthy otherwise? I would beware of short sighted solutions - the middle road is often best.
You're obviously misinformed. Do you think the diet that is mentioned here would contribute to the diseases you mention? Wrong on every count. Oh, you will hear that from other people that have their own agenda but where's the proof?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness