U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 12:12 PM

3,003 posts, read 2,002,913 times

Advertisements

This kind of reinforces what I think about diet and Alzheimer's & Dementia.

Quote:
Researchers from the Mayo Clinic, for example, revealed that deriving most of dietary calories from carbohydrates was associated with an 89% increased risk for either mild cognitive impairment, or full-blown dementia. In their study, those consuming the highest levels of fat actually demonstrated a 44% reduction in risk.
Along with the increase in obesity and related conditions such as diabetes, we have seen a significant increase in Alzheimer's and Dementia. IMO, this correlates with an increased consumption of refined carbohydrates as in the SAD (Standard American Diet).

Article: I'm a Brain Doctor, and This Is What I Do to Prevent Alzheimer's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 12:19 PM

4,893 posts, read 5,981,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
This kind of reinforces what I think about diet and Alzheimer's & Dementia.

Along with the increase in obesity and related conditions such as diabetes, we have seen a significant increase in Alzheimer's and Dementia. IMO, this correlates with an increased consumption of refined carbohydrates as in the SAD (Standard American Diet).

Article: I'm a Brain Doctor, and This Is What I Do to Prevent Alzheimer's
Dr. Perlmutter is hardly a reliable source.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:27 PM

19,568 posts, read 6,485,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Not bad credentials in my mind:

https://www.sharecare.com/user/dr-david-perlmutter

If only a tiny portion of our MD's had some of this doctor's knowledge.

I believe he's opened minds/eyes of millions and I first saw him I believe on PBS he was lecturing on the brain and keeping it healthy and I continue to work to that end. I still consume some refined carbs but way way less than my early life.. Eliminating breads for the last 10 yrs has been a major jump.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 12-03-2018 at 12:42 PM..

Old 12-03-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Frankly, I had no idea who he was. I was concentrating on the content, not the writer. So that means the message is complete BS then? He pulled it out of his rear end?

lol.

Last time I checked, "Brain Surgery" was the epitome being smart.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:35 PM

1,059 posts, read 644,871 times
Quote:
Frankly, I had no idea who he was. I was concentrating on the content, not the writer. So that means the message is complete BS then? He pulled it out of his rear end?

lol.

Last time I checked, "Brain Surgery" was the epitome being smart.

neurologists are not surgeons.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
I knew that but decided to leave the post as is, just to see if someone would spot that.

So, since he is just a neurologist and not an actual brain surgeon, that makes him dumb?

So other than the nitpicking, anything else about the actual information here?

Old 12-03-2018, 02:03 PM

1,059 posts, read 644,871 times
Quote:
I knew that but decided to leave the post as is, just to see if someone would spot that.

So I suppose that makes him an idiot?
i have no idea what you suppose.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
i have no idea what you suppose.
In that case, I'll spell it out for you. Whether he is a neurologist or a brain surgeon makes no difference with his credibility.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:25 PM

19,274 posts, read 10,324,532 times
Quote:
I would have to agree with this.

Quote:
Perlmutter has always been unorthodox in his approach to medicine. For well over a decade, and long before he was a household name, he has claimed to offer his readers “miraculous” — his word — treatments capable of preventing or reversing all sorts of devastating medical problems. He has also claimed that supplements and “detoxification” regimens — available for purchase on his various websites — are crucial to optimizing brain health. Earlier this year, he stated that the conversation about childhood vaccines and autism is “ill-defined,” and that parents should ask their pediatricians about spacing out their children’s vaccinations — an approach the CDC disagrees with, and which 90 percent of doctors surveyed by the journal Pediatrics in 2013 said would put children and communities at greater risk of contracting preventable diseases.

As Perlmutter’s megaphone has grown, so, too, has his brand empire — he has sold everything from “Empowering Coconut Oil” to supplement blends tailored for specific demographics, like the $90 “Scholar’s Advantage Pack” for “young adults seeking to optimize cognitive function,” and the $160 “Senior Empowerment Pack,” a “combination of formulas designed to help keep you cognitively sharp as you age.” One book pointed readers to an $8,500 brain detoxification retreat run by Perlmutter, which included shamanic healing ceremonies. (He even has his own organic foaming hand soap.)
https://www.thecut.com/2015/06/probl...in-doctor.html

Old 12-03-2018, 02:26 PM

42,418 posts, read 50,257,144 times
Quote:
Neurologists tend to draw from the super nerds of med school classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or