Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 06:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
This reminds me of some diet/nutrition "advice" I read in a women's magazine many years ago: get a small order of fries, eat half, and throw the other half away.

(Obviously eating fries is not healthy, I think this was if you needed a cheat or if you were stuck at a fast food joint).
Sounds like Weight Watchers! (I'm a WW drop-out!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 10:06 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
My late husband had fries with each meal. I knew they weren't good for him but he wasn't having any of that argument. After he deep fried them over and over again in our kitchen that grease would splatter all over the walls and ceiling and anything else in the perimeter. That grease was going in his body too; along with the tar from the many cigarettes he smoked. Notice I said "late husband." In the end his freewheeling lifestyle caught up with him. Be careful what you put in your body!

Old 12-05-2018, 10:21 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,934 times
SO, it isn't just Standford that has PH.D. nutjobs unable to deal with reality??? Who'da thunk?? They don't call it the Ivory French fry Tower for nothing.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:59 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This is one of the reasons I never take these articles seriously. And when they come from a Harvard professor and is printed in the NY Times I take it even less seriously.
I bet you loved Tara Parker-Pope's columns (she started The Well section of the NYT) when she was a highly-regarded Wall Street Journal reporter, though.

Also, I find it hilarious that a lot of commenters obviously didn't read the article. He never said you "should only eat six fries at once." The exact quote is: "“There aren’t a lot of people who are sending back three-quarters of an order of French fries,” Dr. Rimm said [referring to the USDA serving size]. “I think it would be nice if your meal came with a side salad and six French fries.”"

"I THINK IT WOULD BE NICE..." is not the same as "YOU SHOULD ONLY EAT..." But in this day and age of sloppy reading comprehension and anti-science attitudes (how many people even know what epidemiology is and how it uses statistical studies?), I guess it figures that people would oversimplify and take away the wrong message.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:54 AM

9,363 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
... in this day and age of sloppy ... science ...
In this day and age the word "science" is abused and abused for self-serving purposes.

We know that, just as surely as we know that water boils at 212 F in just about every corner of the globe, time and time and time again.

Now, that's science.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:20 AM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times
I don't think I eat fries more than 3-5 times per year. But, if I am going to indulge, I am having at last TWICE that.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I can hardly believe that the issue is the type of potato, but the oil that they are fried in.

It is possible to bake potatoes without oil and they come out soft, tasting like potato, and relatively low calorie.

After baking, I usually put some dijon mustard - no calorie, some salt - and rosemary on them.

Sweet potato too, and they need no extra condiment.

Even yucca, but it comes out crunchy, not soft.

Hope this helps.
It does! I like crispy things, and I love potato anything. I'd probably slice them thinly, and drizzle with a small amount of olive or grape seed oil. I'd use sea salt - and I love the idea of Rosemary and Dijon mustard.

With the sweet potato "fries", I like to dip them in Greek yogurt, spiced with curry and ginger and sweetened with a little agave or honey. I might add a dash of cayenne for a sweet and spicy experience.

The yucca sounds worth a try too. Do you dip in in anything?

Actually, all of these are sounding better than regular greasy French Fries. And I would not feel any guilt about eating more than six.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:33 AM

9,363 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

The yucca sounds worth a try too. Do you dip in in anything?
The two stand-by condiments are olive oil & salt (actually all seasoning, garlic and onion power, and oregano mixed with salt) or dijon mustard and rosemary.

But lately I just eat the crunchy yucca right out of the oven as is, after cooling a bit of course.

It's the lazy man's way of trying to eat healthfully, but I've learned that basic foods from the ground have taste all by themselves, sometimes even better than after dousing or sprinkling them with "stuff".

Hope this helps as well!

Last edited by bale002; 12-06-2018 at 06:43 AM..

Old 12-06-2018, 06:35 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
i typically eat six fries at once. Then reach for another six fries.
x2!

Old 12-06-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
My late husband had fries with each meal. I knew they weren't good for him but he wasn't having any of that argument. After he deep fried them over and over again in our kitchen that grease would splatter all over the walls and ceiling and anything else in the perimeter. That grease was going in his body too; along with the tar from the many cigarettes he smoked. Notice I said "late husband." In the end his freewheeling lifestyle caught up with him. Be careful what you put in your body!
I'm very sorry for your loss. I really am.

Bottom line, this professor DID study the affect of potatoes heated in junk oil at very high temperatures and came up with an amount that in his estimation, is "safe" - but not healthy.

I'd say that no amount of smoking is safe, but it's so hard to stop. Which, is why among many reasons, I chose never to start.

For whomever mocked a Harvard professor for publishing this study, have your laughs. No matter how much the anti-health anti education crowd loves to make fun of well educated people, research universities, new health discoveries and healthy food, what you put into your body will someday catch up with you.

Studies that are in the format of "click bait" are in that format because they are used as advertising. That is not the fault of PhD's.

Click bait is not used to advertise higher education.

I firmly believe that there is nothing wrong with eating sweets or junk food sparingly. Very sparingly. French Fries are not a vegetable and no one should eat that kind of thing daily, or weekly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness