U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM

98 posts, read 28,418 times

Advertisements

Maternal grandma died at 70 and grandfather 76 from cancer. My moms brother died at 72 (he had everything).
Paternal grandmother died at 76 of cancer and grandfather at 76 from a heart attack.
My parents are 73 and 74. Besides blood pressure, cholesterol meds which are pretty common to be on, they seem to be healthy. Go to the dr. Get hard scans. My mom has the start of heart disease but she is active as is my dad. Neither are overweight. They were slightly at one point but nothing drastic. Should I reside to the fact that they only have a few years left due to genetics or is it possible they can out live their parents?

Last edited by Adriank7; Yesterday at 09:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM

19,570 posts, read 6,485,366 times
Anything is possible and my parents outlived their parents but I think a lot of my family lived long lives. No smoking is key, I believe.

I'm 80 and have been supplementing for over 25 yrs when I got so involved in health and prevention and other health support groups I've been a member of.

Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM

My dad was a smoker for 30 years but quit 15 years ago. But he ran about 5 miles a day for most of his 30’s to 50’s so I think maybe that counter acted some of the issues smoking can cause. He walks 1 or 2 hours a day now so I’m sure that helps as well.

Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM

4,582 posts, read 1,740,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
Maternal grandma died at 70 and grandfather 76 from cancer. My moms brother died at 72 (he had everything).
Paternal grandmother died at 76 of cancer and grandfather at 76 from a heart attack.
My parents are 73 and 74. Besides blood pressure, cholesterol meds which are pretty common to be on, they seem to be healthy. Go to the dr. Get hard scans. My mom has the start of heart disease but she is active as is my dad. Neither are overweight. They were slightly at one point but nothing drastic. Should I reside to the fact that they only have a few years left due to genetics or is it possible they can out live their parents?
Consider that health care screening and early detection of problems is better now than it was in your grandparent's younger days. Also consider that your 4 grandparents were not blood relatives but relatives by marriage. They didn't share common heredity. Unless your parents have gotten genetic testing done to identify hereditary predispositions for problems there's no reason to assume or resign yourself to anything. There's simply no information to go on.

Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM

They are blood relatives is they are my grandparents.

Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM

4,582 posts, read 1,740,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
They are blood relatives is they are my grandparents.
Of course. The way your OP was written it sounded as if you were looking for associations among or between them for their ages at time of death. I misunderstood. Isn't the first time and won't be the last!

The second comment I made still stands however. You could speculate but what good would that really do? Bottom line seems to be to enjoy them while they are here and miss them when they are gone regardless when that happens to be.

Last edited by Parnassia; Yesterday at 07:51 PM..

Old Today, 06:26 AM

69,784 posts, read 80,179,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Of course. The way your OP was written it sounded as if you were looking for associations among or between them for their ages at time of death. I misunderstood. Isn't the first time and won't be the last!

The second comment I made still stands however. You could speculate but what good would that really do? Bottom line seems to be to enjoy them while they are here and miss them when they are gone regardless when that happens to be.

good advise: enjoy and miss. to the OP, yes, genetics plays a big part in our life expectancy but other thins do as well. One is the development for better care as we age. The other is we have learned to be a little more active and eat a little healthier I hope.

Yes, you are realizing your parents will not be around for ever, but lets just hope they are with you for as long as they are mentally and physically healthy.

Old Today, 10:43 AM

7,194 posts, read 5,345,960 times
Genetics play a part, but there are other things, too...

My Dad wonders if he would have had a father growing up without blood pressure medications. My Grandfather lived to 91, my Great Grandfather passed in his 50's.

They're better able to treat things too...Thinks like back and knee surgeries have come a long way, keeps people moving better longer...

All sorts of stuff like that. And, things that aren't related to modern advances; the life your grandparents lived and worked compared to your parents, stress, social connections, they all play a part.

Old Today, 12:09 PM

1,372 posts, read 592,409 times
There is no definitive answer.

My father died suddenly of a heart attack at age 58. None of us expected that.

My mother grew up being repeatedly told as a child that she wouldn't live past 21 because of a heart murmur!

She died at age 86 having lived a life that was not marked by much illness until her last few years and even that did not slow her down much.

Don't "resign" yourself to anything. Just enjoy them while they're here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or