U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-04-2018, 03:34 PM
 
109 posts, read 33,981 times
Reputation: 65

Advertisements

My relative fell and had surgery for a torn meniscus. It didn’t heal right and physical therapy wasn’t helping so she had to have another surgery and a few months after the 2nd surgery started physical therapy again. Now almost a year later she says she has back problems due to favoring her knee. She has been out of work for almost a year but everything is paid for by her work because she fell in their parking lot. Does this seem like a normal thing to go through? A year of knee surgeries, physical therapy, now back problems now more physical therapy? I ask because I am doing so much for her now and well as her kids and it starting to take a toll on everyone. We ask her about it but she just says she can’t do much yet without help. Yet she drives herself to her appointments.

Last edited by Adriank7; 12-04-2018 at 03:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-04-2018, 04:32 PM
 
Location: on the wind
4,660 posts, read 1,772,883 times
Reputation: 16582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
My relative fell and had surgery for a torn meniscus. It didn’t heal right and physical therapy wasn’t helping so she had to have another surgery and a few months after the 2nd surgery started physical therapy again. Now almost a year later she says she has back problems due to favoring her knee. She has been out of work for almost a year but everything is paid for by her work because she fell in their parking lot. Does this seem like a normal thing to go through? A year of knee surgeries, physical therapy, now back problems now more physical therapy? I ask because I am doing so much for her now and well as her kids and it starting to take a toll on everyone. We ask her about it but she just says she can’t do much yet without help. Yet she drives herself to her appointments.
It can happen. Soft tissue injuries don't always heal perfectly and they can be re-injured when they are weak. In some ways bone fractures are easier to recover from. If someone injures their knee and ends up non-weight bearing or limping-favoring it for a long period of time their back, the other knee, and their feet can be put under a lot more strain due to the abnormal gait. I also think some people "learn" to become a victim. They have been in pain so they start to fear it. Avoiding pain can convince them they are no longer fully able, friends unintentionally reinforce that by helping, the person feels even more dependent, people help even more, endless cycle. It can be a hard thing to break out of especially if the person is afraid of hurting themselves again.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-04-2018 at 04:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2018, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Southern California
19,743 posts, read 6,536,496 times
Reputation: 13284
OP: First of all often these surgeries are not necessary, but the horse is out of the barn. They have been known to heal on their own.

If she can drive a car and get to her appointments, I would think she can do more for herself, but I don't know her or age etc. If disability compensation is paying that can put a light on people's thinking and doing. And other body areas can be affected by one area being off. Is she doing PT?

I'm left with a mess from hip surgery and knee issues post op of the hip and I gave up my car about a year ago and I have people helping me with getting groceries and a housekeeper once a month to do light work but I keep myself going. I use a walker and don't like where I am but I'm here and would hope that maybe next year after more work from my D.O. I'll walk better. I'm 80,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2018, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,848 posts, read 26,524,699 times
Reputation: 27080
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: First of all often these surgeries are not necessary, but the horse is out of the barn. They have been known to heal on their own.
Some tears can heal; others will not. It depends on the location of the tear. We do not know the details in the case in the OP.


https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseas...meniscus-tears

"The outside one-third of the meniscus has a rich blood supply. A tear in this 'red' zone may heal on its own, or can often be repaired with surgery. A longitudinal tear is an example of this kind of tear.

In contrast, the inner two-thirds of the meniscus lacks a blood supply. Without nutrients from blood, tears in this 'white' zone cannot heal. These complex tears are often in thin, worn cartilage. Because the pieces cannot grow back together, tears in this zone are usually surgically trimmed away."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2018, 07:30 PM
 
Location: on the wind
4,660 posts, read 1,772,883 times
Reputation: 16582
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Some tears can heal; others will not. It depends on the location of the tear. We do not know the details in the case in the OP.


https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseas...meniscus-tears

"The outside one-third of the meniscus has a rich blood supply. A tear in this 'red' zone may heal on its own, or can often be repaired with surgery. A longitudinal tear is an example of this kind of tear.

In contrast, the inner two-thirds of the meniscus lacks a blood supply. Without nutrients from blood, tears in this 'white' zone cannot heal. These complex tears are often in thin, worn cartilage. Because the pieces cannot grow back together, tears in this zone are usually surgically trimmed away."
BTDT. Had a meniscus tear several years ago but the tear was to the outside. It took quite a while, but it did heal on its own. As always, YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM
 
105 posts, read 15,038 times
Reputation: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
My relative fell and had surgery for a torn meniscus. It didnít heal right and physical therapy wasnít helping so she had to have another surgery and a few months after the 2nd surgery started physical therapy again. Now almost a year later she says she has back problems due to favoring her knee. She has been out of work for almost a year but everything is paid for by her work because she fell in their parking lot. Does this seem like a normal thing to go through? A year of knee surgeries, physical therapy, now back problems now more physical therapy? I ask because I am doing so much for her now and well as her kids and it starting to take a toll on everyone. We ask her about it but she just says she canít do much yet without help. Yet she drives herself to her appointments.

I have to ask, was she DOING the PT? I ask because my husband had surgery for a torn meniscus and ACL and he did his therapy no matter how painful it was and he stuck to it. It took about a year before he felt like he was equal to pre-injury but he got there. My MIL had knee replacement surgery and fought her PT every step of the way because "it hurt" and still uses a walker most of the time 2 years later. Granted it's two different surgeries but still the rehab isn't going to do itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:56 PM
 
7,958 posts, read 5,545,721 times
Reputation: 14813
Those torn hibiscus flowers can be a real issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top