U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM

22 posts, read 1,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Get yourself some Prilosec, (or the generic - cheaper and works just as well) and take them for two weeks. I get occasional acid reflux and heartburn and I swear by it. I dont know why I get mine since my diet really doesn't change. It could be that spicy food catches up with me.
I have something my doctor gave me but I donít remember the name, will confirm later but do you experience any side effects from this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM

19,636 posts, read 6,500,984 times
+
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Really? He's not a real doctor and doesn't know what he's talking about? So, I guess that we are doctors?

What he is saying is true, google it if you don't believe it which is what you could of done all along, same (or better) than asking us.

Here's a whole bunch of more videos. I guess all of these people are also full of it?
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gerd
+100

So many of the great chiro doctors go on to advanced nutritional training and kineosology and much much more, a great guy I was seeing years ago got to the root of my horrid fatigue, I was consuming that god awful soy when it hit the U.S. markets and my thyroid was suffering. Some of them are so advanced in what they do, don't sell them short. I do NOT.

And OP, things change in our systems and you keep saying you can't understand why it's happening, etc. More will change down the road. And it's truly amazing how closed so many minds are and there is so much mind opening info now.

Enough people are tired of getting the so called answer and drugs from their doctors and so do their research and there is a plethra of info to find.

Last edited by jaminhealth; Yesterday at 04:30 PM..

Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM

3,014 posts, read 2,007,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalPolyps View Post
He is not a doctor, so why does he uses the “Dr.” next to his name? He is a chiropractor. His advice isn’t any better than any of us can offer.
OK then, go out and buy some heartburn medication. Some of these are OTC. Problem solved, for a while at least. I've used Zantac before, I know that works. This search took a lot of effort on my part, by the way. Good luck with that.

Prescription Drugs for Heartburn and GERD: Types and Brands

Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
OK then, go out and buy some heartburn medication. Some of these are OTC. Problem solved, for a while at least. I've used Zantac before, I know that works. This search took a lot of effort on my part, by the way. Good luck with that.

Prescription Drugs for Heartburn and GERD: Types and Brands

Where is the scientific data that drinking one spoon of apple cidar vinegar is going to improve this condition?

I wouldn't mind doing it since is cheap, but what about teeth.

https://www.pittsforddentist.com/pde...ar-harm-teeth/

My doctor gave me famotidine which is pepcid. I only took it one time back then and I felt weird next day, like groggy, turns out this thing is an antihistamine

Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM

19,636 posts, read 6,500,984 times
OP: I have a neighbor who has been trying so much for years for gerd/reflux issues but they are all alt med and I have no science, I believe in what works and like to hear first hand from friends what works for them. Good luck.

Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
I have it real bad. What helps me is:

- Pepcid. I practically live off the stuff. Typically take one tablet before lunch and one before dinner if I know I'm going to be eating something spicy/acidic/greasy that will set off my acid reflux. I also take it if I eat dinner too late (like if I know I'll be sleeping within a couple hours of eating dinner).

- Laying off fatty, spicy, acidic, sugary, heavy foods. Citrus fruits destroy me. Pasta sauce, forget it. Fried rice also kills me.

- I sleep with my head elevated. Two pillows instead of one. This really helps. Also sleep with a rolled up towel under my neck for extra comfort so I can avoid neck pain.

- Exercise. I notice even if I just hop on the elliptical for 30 minutes a day, my symptoms seem to alleviate.

- Stay away from soda, coffee, and tea. The worst are soda and coffee by far, especially if you drink it black. Decaf green tea is ok every now and then, but not at night. I sometimes drink it with breakfast. For breakfast I eat plain oatmeal, so it helps keep the green tea from really causing too many problems.

I do also take the Align probiotic once a day, but I'm not sure if it helps with my symptoms. I actually started taking it because it helps relieve my psoriasis, which is a separate issue.

pepcid is what the doctor gave me, but my concern with this is that is an antihistamine and could make you drowsy. What kind of diet are you following, like what are you eating exactly? I also sleep with to pillows and on my left side, but I've been doing that way before I had heart burn.

The first time my heart burn happened, I was eating lots of rice, like I was living on it. And I think that's one of my main causes, eating too much in one sitting.

Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM

1,358 posts, read 657,108 times
OP, I feel for you, reflux stinks. Husband and I both have GERD, mine is due to a weakened LES and his is likely due to the H. Pylori he has just been diagnosed with. Once he is rid of that his GERD might resolve. Or it might not because as we get older the valve between our esophagus and stomach can weaken. Which is permanent unless you want to undergo surgery. But most gastros only consider that as a last resort if meds and lifestyle changes don't work.

Weight gain and hiatal hernia can also cause reflux and certain foods can temporarily weaken the LES and allow reflux. Stuff like fatty foods, peppermint, caffeine, chocolate, and whatever else causes reflux for you. You could try cutting certain foods out and see if that helps.

Heavy lifting and tight clothes/belts that put pressure on your abdomen can also cause reflux, so be careful with all of that. And don't eat 3 - 4 hours before you go to bed. For me, it takes 5 hours before I can lie down without reflux, which is a pain in the rear.

Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
OP, I feel for you, reflux stinks. Husband and I both have GERD, mine is due to a weakened LES and his is likely due to the H. Pylori he has just been diagnosed with. Once he is rid of that his GERD might resolve. Or it might not because as we get older the valve between our esophagus and stomach can weaken. Which is permanent unless you want to undergo surgery. But most gastros only consider that as a last resort if meds and lifestyle changes don't work.

Weight gain and hiatal hernia can also cause reflux and certain foods can temporarily weaken the LES and allow reflux. Stuff like fatty foods, peppermint, caffeine, chocolate, and whatever else causes reflux for you. You could try cutting certain foods out and see if that helps.

Heavy lifting and tight clothes/belts that put pressure on your abdomen can also cause reflux, so be careful with all of that. And don't eat 3 - 4 hours before you go to bed. For me, it takes 5 hours before I can lie down without reflux, which is a pain in the rear.

hiatal hernia is now on my list of possibilities lmao what if I have this, who knows, i dont feel any pain or see anything bulging out there so is unlikely

Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM

1,358 posts, read 657,108 times
^^ you wouldn't be able to see or feel a small hiatal hernia, it takes an endoscopy for the doc to be able to diagnose you with one. But they can definitely cause reflux. Though many people have reflux without HH, and many have one and no reflux.

Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
^^ you wouldn't be able to see or feel a small hiatal hernia, it takes an endoscopy for the doc to be able to diagnose you with one. But they can definitely cause reflux. Though many people have reflux without HH, and many have one and no reflux.

will consider getting endoscopy done to rule it out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness