U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-07-2018, 12:47 PM
 
515 posts, read 202,753 times
Reputation: 898

Advertisements

An EGD will always be necessary to establish if there is Barrett's Esophagus or not! It is the standard MO for good GI Specialists. A baseline is necessary, then frequency of follow up depending on the findings.

 
Old 12-07-2018, 01:35 PM
 
7,368 posts, read 9,093,413 times
Reputation: 8458
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
An EGD will always be necessary to establish if there is Barrett's Esophagus or not! It is the standard MO for good GI Specialists. A baseline is necessary, then frequency of follow up depending on the findings.
I understand--i have had an EGD myself--but it still may be dependent on the severity of the symptoms. Continuous heartburn , along with an accurate medical hx, is a good indication for an EGD. Rare heartburn MIGHT be more conditional, although if someone presents to an MD with this concern, they will probably encourage for an EGD to be done..
 
Old 12-07-2018, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Kenmore, WA
7,411 posts, read 6,283,935 times
Reputation: 10659
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalPolyps View Post
Iím 34 years old. I never had this in my life but only recently these past 2 months Iíve been getting acid reflux/heart burn episodes. I donít know why. Maybe is my diet but I never had this before. I recognize all the symptoms of pressure below chest, funny taste in the back of your throat, belching, nausea, etc. antiaxids donít make it better at all. Lately I was eating lots of cereal bars like many times a day but I donít think that was the problem. I was also using benadryl to sleep for a few days and acid reflux happened right after thay and turns out is a side effect of benadryl

But this is really annoying I never had this before. I even went to the doc and he gave some pills which I took and they help a little but of course have side effects
It's a result of aging and a high acid diet. Nearly everything we eat that is not a raw veggie or fruit is acidic.

Ask your doctor which medication is best for you. Usually any off the shelf product is effective.
 
Old 12-07-2018, 02:00 PM
 
515 posts, read 202,753 times
Reputation: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I understand--i have had an EGD myself--but it still may be dependent on the severity of the symptoms. Continuous heartburn , along with an accurate medical hx, is a good indication for an EGD. Rare heartburn MIGHT be more conditional, although if someone presents to an MD with this concern, they will probably encourage for an EGD to be done..
I am basing my comments on the OP's symptoms described in the post. Given the age, and the severity of the symptoms described, a visit to a GI specialist and and EGD would be required.
 
Old 12-07-2018, 07:39 PM
 
138 posts, read 22,198 times
Reputation: 86
What I noticed, every time it happens, i get kind of a headache, is not really a headache as is not pain, but more like a slight pressure in your head and i think is related to sinuses, apparently, acid reflux and sinuses are connected, it really sucks because i have chronic sinusitis so if i get this acid reflux, my nose gets congested and i already know is acid reflux
 
Old 12-07-2018, 08:53 PM
 
7,368 posts, read 9,093,413 times
Reputation: 8458
If you're having chronic heartburn, then you need to see a GI specialist, or have your primary care physician see you first, and then refer you to the GI specialist. Do not involve any chiropractors. Many people have occasional heartburn, but a chronic condition needs special attention.
A chiropractor is not a primary care physician, period.
 
Old 12-07-2018, 08:59 PM
 
10,680 posts, read 5,165,681 times
Reputation: 7142
I might have had this, self diagnosis only , I lay off the greasy fry food, plus I’m drinking a glass of warm lemon water in the morning. No problem since, it went away on it’s own, it’s been years that I had this problem. I’m old, near 60, but 34 is not old.
 
Old 12-07-2018, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Indianapolis, East Side
807 posts, read 395,574 times
Reputation: 1950
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalPolyps View Post
I’m 34 years old. I never had this in my life but only recently these past 2 months I’ve been getting acid reflux/heart burn episodes. I don’t know why. Maybe is my diet but I never had this before. I recognize all the symptoms of pressure below chest, funny taste in the back of your throat, belching, nausea, etc. antiaxids don’t make it better at all. Lately I was eating lots of cereal bars like many times a day but I don’t think that was the problem. I was also using benadryl to sleep for a few days and acid reflux happened right after thay and turns out is a side effect of benadryl

But this is really annoying I never had this before. I even went to the doc and he gave some pills which I took and they help a little but of course have side effects

There's your problem. Carbohydrates can ferment and cause gas, pushing up your stomach acid. Dietary fat doesn't cause gas; protein causes very little.

Several years ago, I had terrible acid reflux I needed prescription medication for. I went on a low-carb diet and the acid reflux stopped. I can eat all the spicy, fatty foods and drink all the black coffee I want. In fact, Dr. Atkins remarked in his original book that heartburn was the symptom that most reliably went away on his diet.
 
Old 12-07-2018, 09:54 PM
 
Location: Indianapolis, East Side
807 posts, read 395,574 times
Reputation: 1950
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalPolyps View Post
What I noticed, every time it happens, i get kind of a headache, is not really a headache as is not pain, but more like a slight pressure in your head and i think is related to sinuses, apparently, acid reflux and sinuses are connected, it really sucks because i have chronic sinusitis so if i get this acid reflux, my nose gets congested and i already know is acid reflux
I also had chronic sinus congestion, but not polyps. Went away with wheat elimination; many people find dairy makes them congested, too.
 
Old 12-07-2018, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Southern California
20,106 posts, read 6,655,223 times
Reputation: 13508
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
There's your problem. Carbohydrates can ferment and cause gas, pushing up your stomach acid. Dietary fat doesn't cause gas; protein causes very little.

Several years ago, I had terrible acid reflux I needed prescription medication for. I went on a low-carb diet and the acid reflux stopped. I can eat all the spicy, fatty foods and drink all the black coffee I want. In fact, Dr. Atkins remarked in his original book that heartburn was the symptom that most reliably went away on his diet.
Ah, the last time I tried to eat some Kashi cereal I ended up throwing the box out and NEVER buying any kind of cereal again. I think a lot of that cereal contains mold. And bread I have not brought any into the house for about 10 yrs. And cookies, etc. nope not in about a year or so.

I think people believe oatmeal is their friend, not so..I don't touch it anymore.

And I was born and raised on spaghetti, haven't had any in years.

No gerd or reflux here.

OP: Change your diet, change your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top