U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2018, 05:31 PM

36 posts, read 5,997 times

Advertisements

I have nasal polyps. I have never had a ct scan done on my sinuses, but I'm pretty sure there is infection there and massive blockage. Nasal polyps always return after surgery. It gives you a few years of improvement. I will need nasal polyps suction which costs around $3500. I had them removed in 2010 and they came back.

I will also need balloon sinuplasty after the polyp removal, in order to permanently widen my sinus passages. This surgery cost can range from $3,000 to $7,000. And there isn't enough evidence that is really permanent, as is a new procedure and the people who have had it done report better quality life after 2 years, but there aren't any other studies after that. No enough evidence to show the results can last 5 or 10 years, for example.

I suspect I have sleep apnea. I used an app to record my sleep and I snored about 20% of the time, better 4am and 7am. I think is related to me having polyps and nasal blockage. Even though, I sleep 8 hours, many times, I feel tired around 5pm. I see other people have higher energy and still kicking in the night. I'm 34 years old, not an old person. I had my testosterone checked and is average. I had my thyroid levels checked and is normal.

I don't feel sleepy during the day or feel drowsy or anything obvious, is just my energy isn't the same, almost as if my sleep isn't as recuperative as other people and is not giving me the same kind of energy they get from 8 hours of sleep.

I will have to get a home sleep study and if confirmed I will have to spend hundreds on a CPAP machine and mask. For now, all I'm doing is using nasal breathing strip at night and it helps a lot, which proves my theory that my breathing suffer while sleep. The couple of times, I used the nasal breathing strips to sleep, I slept better and felt more alert during the day. It can't be a coincidence.

I very likely have celiac disease, never been diagnosed by since I was little, I was always constipated and prone to bloating, which leads me to believe, I either suffer from irritable bowel syndrome constipation type or I have celiac disease. I have to get tested for allergies.

I have periodontal disease, I haven't been to the dentist in years, last time, I got root and scaling done, but of course, the tartar returned because I couldn't afford to keep up with maintenance. What I do to keep it from progressing is brush, floss and use the water pick. It helps, but of course, I have to go the dentist and keep with maintenance at the dentist, otherwise, the work they do will be useless.

Even with a dental insurance plan, the cost of root and planning per quadrant, after all is said and done will be hundreds of dollars, maybe over a thousand, and the maintenance cleaning, are more expensive than regular cleanings.

Just to fix all these problems or keep them at bay or at least find some relief, is going to cost me in the thousands and thousands

Last edited by NasalPolyps; 12-06-2018 at 05:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 06:56 PM

19,743 posts, read 6,546,226 times
OP: All that rice is constipating. And of course not gluten free. I would start with eliminating as much gluten as possible.

Concentrate on vegetables, some good protein and quality fats, and plenty of good water.

Cut out major amounts of carbs like rice, pasta, breads etc etc...get it?

On the dental issues, much I believe can change too when diet is changed. I was told I had deep pockets back in the 80's and never did anything but my continued antioxidants keep my gums in very good condition. I've talked about my dental care in the dental area here.

Work on these 2 areas for starters.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:38 PM

19,686 posts, read 53,974,095 times
Dental schools provide treatment for much less than dentists. It take forever as they do something, wait for the teacher to check it, do something else, wait again, etc. I got good care when I was younger.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:06 PM

22 posts, read 8,363 times
For constipation you need:
1. clean your digestive system,
2. balance good and bad bacteria

Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM

13,772 posts, read 7,403,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: All that rice is constipating. And of course not gluten free. I would start with eliminating as much gluten as possible.

Concentrate on vegetables, some good protein and quality fats, and plenty of good water.

On the dental issues, much I believe can change too when diet is changed. I was told I had deep pockets back in the 80's and never did anything but my continued antioxidants keep my gums in very good condition. I've talked about my dental care in the dental area here.

OP - consult a good source for celiac disease - if you actually have it then you need to avoid GLUTEN. These foods (and others) general foods are naturally GLUTEN FREE:
  • Fruits
  • Vegetables
  • Meat and poultry
  • Fish and seafood
  • Dairy
  • Beans, legumes, and nuts

The following grains and other starch-containing foods are naturally gluten-free:
  • Rice.
  • Cassava.
  • Corn (maize)
  • Soy.
  • Potato.
  • Tapioca.
  • Beans.
  • Sorghum.
This is from the Celiac Disease Foundation: https://celiac.org/gluten-free-livin...en-free-foods/

Anything made from WHEAT is the biggest issue but other foods may have trace amounts due to how they are processed.

Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM

4,687 posts, read 10,601,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

If you are going to advise people to go "gluten free".....which of course is ONLY necessary if someone has gluten sensitivity or celiac disease...a decided minority of the population....you could at least learn which foods actually contain gluten...

Rice is GLUTEN FREE....also only white rice is constipating, brown rice is actually beneficial for treating constipation....

Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM

36 posts, read 5,997 times
lol i need to get tested though, but im almost sure that i have it

Old Today, 07:13 AM

2,511 posts, read 1,344,770 times
Do you not ha e insurance? The cost of your procedures is high but your actual cost should be a lot less with insurance.

Old Today, 07:25 AM

33,295 posts, read 39,560,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalPolyps View Post
I suspect I have sleep apnea. I used an app to record my sleep and I snored about 20% of the time, better 4am and 7am. I think is related to me having polyps and nasal blockage. Even though, I sleep 8 hours, many times, I feel tired around 5pm. I see other people have higher energy and still kicking in the night. I'm 34 years old, not an old person. I had my testosterone checked and is average. I had my thyroid levels checked and is normal.
Sleep apnea is not about snoring but how often you stop breathing during your sleep period,this cessation of breathing during your sleep puts a tremenous strain on your heart,IMO you would do well to have a sleep study done and acquire a CPAP machine if advised to do so,
With all your maladies do you not have healthcare insurance? and if not why not?
With all your suspected problems something else might be in play here.=
Signs You May be a Hypochondriac - The Center for Treatment of Anxiety and Mood Disorders

Old Today, 08:11 AM

11,169 posts, read 9,217,404 times
I'd get diagnosed by a Doctor before you start panicking too much.

But it's better to be alive and poor than dead and rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness