Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 08:47 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,014,407 times

Advertisements

I've never been charged for toiletries in a hospital, they've just been part of the amenities like sheets and blankets and pillows. Usually toothbrush, toothpaste, body wipes in case you can't shower, some type of shampoo and body wash although it's frequently the same thing. Moisturizing lotion, maybe chapstick or vaseline you can use on your lips. Generally not hair conditioner and no q-tips. Maybe but not always deodorant. Sometimes maternity patients get very cushy gift baskets (or diaper bags) with all sorts of nice items for mom and baby

In a real emergency where your clothes are destroyed, and no one can get you anything from home, I think most hospitals can rustle up something for you to wear home. Although depending on your condition, it's very common for you to not be discharged unless someone is with you and will be with you at home to start with to make sure you stay ok.

You might get lucky and someone could find you a phone charger in the lost and found that works for your phone but I think you are mostly going to be out of luck on that one.

Assuming you are going to the ER under your own power, I would pack a bag with those types of necessities and bring it with you, just in case you are admitted. But it's also kind of hard to imagine not having anyone at all you can call to help you out - I'm sure a co-worker would help if necessary if you don't have any family, friends or neighbors you could contact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 09:40 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I've never been charged for toiletries in a hospital, they've just been part of the amenities like sheets and blankets and pillows. Usually toothbrush, toothpaste, body wipes in case you can't shower, some type of shampoo and body wash although it's frequently the same thing. Moisturizing lotion, maybe chapstick or vaseline you can use on your lips. Generally not hair conditioner and no q-tips. Maybe but not always deodorant. Sometimes maternity patients get very cushy gift baskets (or diaper bags) with all sorts of nice items for mom and baby

In a real emergency where your clothes are destroyed, and no one can get you anything from home, I think most hospitals can rustle up something for you to wear home. Although depending on your condition, it's very common for you to not be discharged unless someone is with you and will be with you at home to start with to make sure you stay ok.

You might get lucky and someone could find you a phone charger in the lost and found that works for your phone but I think you are mostly going to be out of luck on that one.

Assuming you are going to the ER under your own power, I would pack a bag with those types of necessities and bring it with you, just in case you are admitted. But it's also kind of hard to imagine not having anyone at all you can call to help you out - I'm sure a co-worker would help if necessary if you don't have any family, friends or neighbors you could contact.
Oh we are charged for everything in the high hospital bills.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:12 PM

22,807 posts, read 18,101,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
What if you don't have anyone you can call? I always worry about what if I'm in long enough that the rent is past-due and I get kicked out, even though I've got the money to pay but am stuck in the hospital and can't write the check and drop it off. And what do hospitals charge for the bathroom goods and meals?
You don't know anyone? Do you work? Call your office. Do you rent? Call your landlord and tell them the situation. Do you have a neighbor? Do you have any relatives who could make these calls for you? Even your health insurance may be able to help. Emergencies happen. There is usually something people can do to help. If there really is NO ONE you know, the hospital's social services office can often provide assistance if they know you need it.

If you are this worried about it, maybe you should think about who this person might need to be in an emergency. Find someone and ask them. Does your employer have an emergency contact on file for you? Do you have a GP? They usually want an emergency contact on file for you too.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-09-2018 at 10:53 PM..

Old 12-09-2018, 10:15 PM

22,807 posts, read 18,101,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
But even with the hospital gown (I hate those things), you're still gonna want undergarments. Is there a way to do laundry at hospitals? I would think you'll need a couple changes of clothes while you're there. What about getting a shower while you're there? At the moment you arrive at the ER, what if it's been a day since your last shower?
Believe me, if you are that sick/injured the last thing you'll be worried about are undergarments! Nurses are very aware that patients want modesty and they know various ways to preserve it. No one likes hospital gowns. They aren't fashion statements. The few times I've been in the hospital the simplest thing nurses suggested was to wear one gown opening in the back and another gown over it like a robe. Works just fine. The nurses certainly don't care if you haven't had your shower that day. It's the last thing on their mind. They care about helping you get well, not whether your hair is perfect. They'll help you bathe/shower if necessary.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-09-2018 at 10:56 PM..

Old 12-09-2018, 10:22 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,193,330 times
No. You're not allowed to leave once admitted unless you go AMA.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:57 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
Is OP even in the hospital?

Old 12-10-2018, 08:53 AM

5,392 posts, read 3,955,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Look for tissues under "Mucus recovery system."

Old 12-10-2018, 09:39 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,014,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh, no, "we" are not. Are you saying that I don't know how to read a hospital bill? If you are suggesting that the costs of those items are included in general charges, yes, of course they are. But I don't see anyone bemoaning that hospital patients are being charged for electricity to run the lights and tv, or running water in the bathroom and of course those costs are also calculated into the general charges.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:03 AM

7,112 posts, read 4,950,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbeckster View Post
... you are likely going to wear a hospital gown until you are discharged.

Yea, they give you a private room and a semi-private gown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
...They care about helping you get well, not whether your hair is perfect.. .

Care- givers always look for the "make up sign" as an indicator of prognosis-- when a female patient starts worrying about her appearance again, she's past the crisis and ready for discharge.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:08 AM

10,043 posts, read 6,307,300 times
When I went to the ER for my heart attack in June, I was wearing a top, panties, and shorts and a pair of hard-soled shoes. I woke up in the ICU in a hospital gown with my top and shoes in a hospital bag, but my panties and shorts had been cut off to do the heart surgery (3 stents). After I was in the ICU for a week I went to rehab, where they informed me that I needed clothing and personal effects for approximately 10 days. I had nothing with me, so I called a friend of mine who lived down the street. She came to the hospital and I gave her a house key so she could get some things for me. I "walked" her through where things were over the phone, although I should have had her bring more things than I did. There were no laundry facilities available at the rehab facility. Fortunately another wonderful friend brought me a whole huge bag of shorts, sweaters (even though it was summer, they kept rehab like a meat locker), extra toiletries, etc. She had been through a similar experience and knew what was needed. It was SO helpful.

Unfortunately I've moved closer to the hospital (that part is good), but I'm no longer close to either of those friends. Hopefully I won't have another heart attack (having FIVE stents now), but I keep a "go bag" of clothing and toiletries on hand just in case the worst should occur. Never want to be caught without my own clothes again if the worst should happen. When I had my last catheterization 3 weeks ago the hospital told me to bring overnight things; fortunately I got out the same day and didn't need them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness