U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM

1,300 posts, read 836,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Exactly, hospitals have social workers on staff to help with this kind of thing, and to make sure when you leave, you will have the help you need at home.

Why are you worrying so much about this? just curious.
Most every hospital has something along the lines of "Charity Services" (this is the name I most commonly see). They deal with this daily and know the ins and outs of their own hospital as well as insurance companies and social/government agencies - they know where the services and money is and how to get it for patients who are in need.

They aren't exactly advertised, though, with in hospitals. But nurses know ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM

4,162 posts, read 1,870,181 times
You will be given a, er ... "breezy"... gown to put on & probably a pair of non-skid socks. Undergarments are typically discouraged; they get in the way & should you not be alert & oriented; they would simply be cut off.

Some common & even routine events to expect: IV's, lab(blood) draws, EKG & telemetry leads, physical assessments both by doctors & nurses, digital vital signs monitoring, catheters, imaging studies (x-ray, MRI, cat scans, etc ...) dressing changes & wound care. You may be on various levels of activity restrictions, including strict bedrest & require the use of a bedpan. So, no underwear.

Women with very large breasts who would be in significant pain without a bra might be an exception & depending on certain procedures/conditions; you may be given a pair of mesh underwear to wear.

You will receive an admission package that may contain certain toiletries & miscellaneous items: A water basin, water pitcher, toothbrush/paste, shampoo & soap, a belongings bag for your items, etc ... You will not be required to have money available to pay for anything during admission & you would have to ask the billing department for specifics about your bill.

Some hospitals have charging stations for electronics available & you will have your own bedside landline telephone. Ask about policy; some facilities will not permit incoming calls to patient rooms after 9 pm.

If you may be facing a longer-than-expected admission & are worried about the impact on your residential/financial situation; ask to speak your hospital unit's social worker & discharge planner.

If you have zero insurance/ability to pay; they will probably come talk to you before you have a chance to ask. that's not necessarily a bad thing, as you may be eligible for programs you would not have known about otherwise.

You may have various volunteers & visiting clergy members stopping in. If they ask you "Is there is anything you need"; tell them. You will be asked that question many times by people who can at least put a word out for you, if not be the resource person themselves.

Editing to add: If you happen to have valuables on/with you when you are admitted; jewelry, watches, cash, etc ... you will likely have the option of putting those items in a safe until discharge. It's just an option. No one will force you to do so & you may keep them in your room if you prefer but that option should be available to you, just in case.

Last edited by coschristi; Yesterday at 10:41 AM.. Reason: see above

Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM

19,731 posts, read 6,536,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Oh, no, "we" are not. Are you saying that I don't know how to read a hospital bill? If you are suggesting that the costs of those items are included in general charges, yes, of course they are. But I don't see anyone bemoaning that hospital patients are being charged for electricity to run the lights and tv, or running water in the bathroom and of course those costs are also calculated into the general charges.
The hospital gets paid for everything believe me, no matter how items are listed or not listed. You think hospital stays are low priced ??? As long as a patient has insurance, they are milked to the 9's for insurance money.

And if a patient has no insurance, then I don't know how all these charges are handeled, a lot of write offs in the hospital world.

Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM

19,324 posts, read 10,363,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
The hospital gets paid for everything believe me, no matter how items are listed or not listed. You think hospital stays are low priced ??? As long as a patient has insurance, they are milked to the 9's for insurance money.

And if a patient has no insurance, then I don't know how all these charges are handeled, a lot of write offs in the hospital world.

Where did I ever say hospital stays are low priced? I made the point - which of course you didn't bother to address - that there are not separate charges for toiletries provided in a hospital any more than there are separate charges for the electricity to run the lights and TV in a patient room, or for the running water in their bathroom.

Of course all of these operational charges are taken into account in what a hospital charges people who are admitted there. Do you think the electrical company and the water company provide those services to the hospital for free?

Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM

6,265 posts, read 7,490,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
What if you don't have anyone you can call? I always worry about what if I'm in long enough that the rent is past-due and I get kicked out, even though I've got the money to pay but am stuck in the hospital and can't write the check and drop it off. And what do hospitals charge for the bathroom goods and meals?

With luck, you have health insurance. I understand your concerns if you have never had to be admitted to a hospital but honestly, there are better things to worry about than the cost of toiletries and meals.

You will in all likelihood receive a "welcome kit" with basic toiletries. Many hospitals use "bath cloths" which are premoistened sponge-like disposables and the nurse brings them to you warmed much better than a pan of water which ends up slopped on the bed. If you're ambulatory, and if there's a shower available, they will supply towels and a clean gown.

Usually, the bathroom is next to your bed and unless you have suffered severe illness/injury, you'll be encouraged to use it. Sometimes, you might have to wait for the nurse or an aide to accompany you but it's better than the alternative. (whispers: bedpan)

The meals will come to you and while it isn't exactly the Ritz, it's mostly palatable. You will probably get a menu and you can circle the items you would like. The cost for meals is included in the daily room charge.

If you don't have a charger, you might be able to ask a nurse if there's one available. Usually is.

If you have a phone, you should be able to call the landlord and explain the situation. If you're always on time with the rent payment, it shouldn't be a problem to delay payment as long as they're aware.

Don't worry about clothes until you are discharged. They want you in those cute little numbers with easy access in case they have to get at some part of your anatomy.

If you have a deductible or a co-payment, someone from the financial office will get with you to discuss payment. You can always schedule a payment plan.

Best to focus on getting well and let the little stuff wait.

As far as having someone to pick you up and take you home, I'm sorry but that is one thing I can't help you with. Unless you live near me, then I'd be available.

Somehow, all these things work out.

Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM

1,687 posts, read 2,021,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbeckster View Post
If your admitted to the hospital, you are likely going to wear a hospital gown until you are discharged. Unless your clothes were destroyed by whatever sent you to the emergency room, you could likely wear those when you leave.

NCbeckster, this is interesting, as I never thought about this, but my clothes WERE destroyed - down to my shoes - by the thing that sent me to the ER. My clothes were put in a biohazard bag, and I was wearing my favorite vintage sandals at the time! UGH! It all went bye-bye.

A friend brought me some clothes for when I was discharged.

Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM

9,522 posts, read 15,191,937 times
Quote:
What if you don't have anyone you can call? I always worry about what if I'm in long enough that the rent is past-due and I get kicked out, even though I've got the money to pay but am stuck in the hospital and can't write the check and drop it off. And what do hospitals charge for the bathroom goods and meals?
Are you just thinking about possibilities, or do you have some real concern this will happen?

Hospitals do provide food! You get three meals, and snacks if you ask. Basic toiletries are provides--soap, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush, razor, etc

If you're concerned about being in a hospital through billing cycles, look at setting up auto pay for utilities, rent, etc.

With the shorter hospital stays, I wouldn't worry too much about being stuck in a hospital long enough for bills to go past due!

Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM

Location: NOT in the Land of lollipops & unicorns...I live in reality.
985 posts, read 876,259 times
Quote:
Good that you are thinking about these things NOW so that you can make arrangements for all those things you are worried about BEFORE anything happens to you. Once in-hospital you will have to depend on someone in Social Work to help you, and they don't go to your apt and retrieve your bills to pay and then go pay them. They just don't. IF you were unconscious they would not even know what your situation out of the hospital was, esp IF you truly don't have any family/friends. Plan ahead! I am in the same boat. My son lives 1000 miles away and might never know I was hospitalized IF I didn't plan now.

Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM

Location: NOT in the Land of lollipops & unicorns...I live in reality.
985 posts, read 876,259 times
Quote:
I've never been charged for toiletries in a hospital, they've just been part of the amenities like sheets and blankets and pillows. Usually toothbrush, toothpaste, body wipes in case you can't shower, some type of shampoo and body wash although it's frequently the same thing. Moisturizing lotion, maybe chapstick or vaseline you can use on your lips. Generally not hair conditioner and no q-tips. Maybe but not always deodorant. Sometimes maternity patients get very cushy gift baskets (or diaper bags) with all sorts of nice items for mom and baby

In a real emergency where your clothes are destroyed, and no one can get you anything from home, I think most hospitals can rustle up something for you to wear home. Although depending on your condition, it's very common for you to not be discharged unless someone is with you and will be with you at home to start with to make sure you stay ok.

You might get lucky and someone could find you a phone charger in the lost and found that works for your phone but I think you are mostly going to be out of luck on that one.

Assuming you are going to the ER under your own power, I would pack a bag with those types of necessities and bring it with you, just in case you are admitted. But it's also kind of hard to imagine not having anyone at all you can call to help you out - I'm sure a co-worker would help if necessary if you don't have any family, friends or neighbors you could contact.
Our hospital does charge for toiletries and also an 'admission kit' when anyone is admitted. It will be on an itemized bill. They have to charge for all of that and I think the charge for one with the drinking pitcher, wash basin, toothbrush, tooth paste, comb and a small soap was a $125. charge. In the ER we usually had a CLOTHES CLOSET just for people who came in and had clothes cut off or too soiled to put back on. 99% of the clothes came from our own homes and lots were no longer 'in fashion' but they were clean and fit and helped many a person out.

Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM

19,731 posts, read 6,536,496 times
Quote:
Where did I ever say hospital stays are low priced? I made the point - which of course you didn't bother to address - that there are not separate charges for toiletries provided in a hospital any more than there are separate charges for the electricity to run the lights and TV in a patient room, or for the running water in their bathroom.

Of course all of these operational charges are taken into account in what a hospital charges people who are admitted there. Do you think the electrical company and the water company provide those services to the hospital for free?
What I'm saying regardless of how they are paid, they are paid. In the cost of the room etc. I know you never said hospital stays are low priced, I did.

To be honest I don't even look at the insurance bills, what insurance pays they pay, and medicare doesn't pay more than they have to. I'm so glad to be out of the hospital when I get out and know if I didn't have to be there I surely wouldn't. It's the copays for me when all is settled, then I start negotiating with payments.

Last edited by jaminhealth; Yesterday at 04:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness