U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 08:17 PM

13,948 posts, read 11,083,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I know they said what it was made out of, but they did not give me anything. The doctor turned out to be a bit of an arrogant prick and I quit going to him and found another urologist.

I do know whatever it was made of is often caused by excessive tea drinking, and I was drinking about a gallon of iced tea a day at the time. I cut way way back on tea since, so I take 5 hour energy to satisfy my caffene addiction.

The fentanyl was wonderful. No consciousness of the pain at all. I ended up begging for more of it towards the end of the dosage time. The other stuff did not help a lot. LaMaz techniques helped some. i was in the hospital, so no shower, but we have a tankeless water heater so cannot run out of hot water. Pruning is fine. if it helped, I would have stayed in there for days. In this case, I went in to the hospital at 3 a.m. had surgery and went home at about 5 p.m. I went to work the next day, but should not have. I should have given it another day.

Apparently my stone was not that big (5-6 mm) but it was lodged in something between my kidney and my bladder. They did not have access to the sound blaster machine for two weeks, so they used a laser to break it up and then cut out the pieces that were stuck. I woke up and felt like the world had been lifted off my shoulders. They said the sound blaster machine is so expensive they have to share it with about 20 hospitals, so they only get it for one day of the month. I could not wait two weeks. I was basically non-functional unless I was stoned.

I ended up getting a really severe UTI that was possibly worse than the stone. We went camping the weekend after my surgery and I was screaming in the latrine if I had to go between doses of antibiotics. I had two different antibiotics prescribed by different doctors (when the first one proved to be too weak), I just alternated them every two hours since they were take every four hours prescriptions. I probably should not have done that, but I would run a fever over 104 and literally scream in pain n the bathroom. The antibiotics made me way way better (no fever very little pain),but only for about two hours. When I got back the Dr gave me some nuclear bomb antibiotics and that finally killed it in about one day. I probably should not have gone camping, but I really wanted to go. Our daughter, Fiancee and fiancee mother were meeting us there and we do not get to see her much (basically never).
You mention the size of your stones so I got out the pair I passed on the 25th of last month (The picture of true happiness!). I have only a tape measure handy and the one stone measures 3/8th" by 3/16" wide and the other one measured 5/16th" by 1/8th inch wide. About a week later I passed one only about an 1/8th inch wide. The smaller one was breaking down and that could have been from the potassium citrate that I am taking.

Ask your new urologist about what kind of stones you have and if they think that potassium citrate will help. It is a prescription drug; even though it's more like a supplement. My problem is that I will back off on them from time to time. They are large oblong pills (1,050 mg - the new pill just say '10 MEQ'). My problem is that I do not like to take any pills and I back off over time and then panic when I fell a stone starting to move.

I don't drink and I do not smoke (I gave up 20 years ago). I used to drink somewhere between tow to four liters of Pepsi each day; but I gave up that partially because of the stones. Then I switched to tea; which also causes the stones; but does not have another problem I had with the Pepsi. I feel that I always have to give up something and I am slowly cutting back on the tea - but it isn't easy to give up everything you like!

My urologist put me to sleep for the very first stone he removed. He left me with what looked like a weed eater nylon cord dangling out of me that he wanted me to keep in for a week. When I came in for him to remove the line he asked me to turn my head and he yanked it out. The night after he yanked it out was the worst pain of my life. Keep in mind that I had a fishhook in my eye for seven hours and I also had hemorrhoid surgery where I still think that I passed out from the pain and not the anesthesia. I will take the Lithotripsy any day over a repeat of the physical removal! My Lithotripsy went fine no pain for the 'operation'; just pain, blood and lots of little pieces when I finally went to the bathroom.

That said; I am still curious if stones tend to form more in one kidney over another one. And, if they do, what causes that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 10:04 AM

25,540 posts, read 60,984,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You mention the size of your stones so I got out the pair I passed on the 25th of last month (The picture of true happiness!). I have only a tape measure handy and the one stone measures 3/8th" by 3/16" wide and the other one measured 5/16th" by 1/8th inch wide. About a week later I passed one only about an 1/8th inch wide. The smaller one was breaking down and that could have been from the potassium citrate that I am taking.

Ask your new urologist about what kind of stones you have and if they think that potassium citrate will help. It is a prescription drug; even though it's more like a supplement. My problem is that I will back off on them from time to time. They are large oblong pills (1,050 mg - the new pill just say '10 MEQ'). My problem is that I do not like to take any pills and I back off over time and then panic when I fell a stone starting to move.

I don't drink and I do not smoke (I gave up 20 years ago). I used to drink somewhere between tow to four liters of Pepsi each day; but I gave up that partially because of the stones. Then I switched to tea; which also causes the stones; but does not have another problem I had with the Pepsi. I feel that I always have to give up something and I am slowly cutting back on the tea - but it isn't easy to give up everything you like!

My urologist put me to sleep for the very first stone he removed. He left me with what looked like a weed eater nylon cord dangling out of me that he wanted me to keep in for a week. When I came in for him to remove the line he asked me to turn my head and he yanked it out. The night after he yanked it out was the worst pain of my life. Keep in mind that I had a fishhook in my eye for seven hours and I also had hemorrhoid surgery where I still think that I passed out from the pain and not the anesthesia. I will take the Lithotripsy any day over a repeat of the physical removal! My Lithotripsy went fine no pain for the 'operation'; just pain, blood and lots of little pieces when I finally went to the bathroom.

That said; I am still curious if stones tend to form more in one kidney over another one. And, if they do, what causes that?
Shudder! Thank you. I am no longer hungry. It will prevent me from snacking before lunch.

I had a problem with diet soda too (vanilla diet coke and then regular diet coke. I had a bit of a reputation for it to the point whenever I went somewhere I had been before, they would simply hand me a diet coke when I walked in the door. I never really paid attention to how much I was drinking then one day I cleaned out my office at the end of the day and found 16 diet coke cans from that date, not including the three or four glasses I had at lunch. I had been reading about how bad diet soda is for you (incredibly bad) so that day I quit and never had another soda since (four years ago). However I switched to an excessive amount of tea instead. recently, I have weaned myself down to less than a gallon of tea a week (instead of a day), but now I take too much 5 hour energy and/or MIO. I have weaned myself back form that too. One day I will get a healthy drinking habit. For now - time to go make a glass of MIO.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:35 PM

20,980 posts, read 7,037,856 times
I almost find it amusing reading how some compare their stones. Am I missing something by not having stones and passing them? Water is key ... for starters.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:13 PM

6,505 posts, read 6,112,486 times
Quote:

...... I am still curious if stones tend to form more in one kidney over another one. And, if they do, what causes that?

I've passed them from both kidneys but the vast majority have come from the right kidney. Mine were all calcium oxalate stones. After my very first stone passed, (which put me in hospital with life threatening renal colic and nearly frightened me to death from the pain) I eliminated all the foods that are high in oxalic acid from my diet, (except for my after supper pot of hot black tea which I simply cannot / will not give up). But since eliminating most oxalic acid from diet and making sure I go for a brisk weight bearing walk every day to break any up, it took me another 5 years to pass the remainder of the bigger stones that had showed up on the scans and now scans show they're all gone and I haven't passed a big stone in 5 years. I hope to all the gods that that's an end to the big stones for the rest of my life. Sometimes I'll still pass very tiny particles of kidney 'sand' or 'grit' but that's so tiny it's easy to deal with on my own at home. I still go for a brisk walk every day and remain on a Mediterranean diet of foods that are low in oxalic acid.

Re: your above query - I have my own personal theory about why stones may tend to form more of them in one kidney over another. I think it has something to do with calcium oxalate grit settling in place and bonding together to form stones while lying still in horizontal positions for several hours when sleeping each night and with whichever position one sleeps in the very most .... left side or right, flat on the back or on the stomach. I'm a right side sleeper and if I sleep on my back I still tend to shift my weight over towards the right side of my back even then. The majority of my stones have come from my right kidney and the tiny grit has come from my left. It's just my theory and I have no idea how valid it might be.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I've passed them from both kidneys but the vast majority have come from the right kidney. Mine were all calcium oxalate stones. After my very first stone passed, (which put me in hospital with life threatening renal colic and nearly frightened me to death from the pain) I eliminated all the foods that are high in oxalic acid from my diet, (except for my after supper pot of hot black tea which I simply cannot / will not give up). But since eliminating most oxalic acid from diet and making sure I go for a brisk weight bearing walk every day to break any up, it took me another 5 years to pass the remainder of the bigger stones that had showed up on the scans and now scans show they're all gone and I haven't passed a big stone in 5 years. I hope to all the gods that that's an end to the big stones for the rest of my life. Sometimes I'll still pass very tiny particles of kidney 'sand' or 'grit' but that's so tiny it's easy to deal with on my own at home. I still go for a brisk walk every day and remain on a Mediterranean diet of foods that are low in oxalic acid.

Re: your above query - I have my own personal theory about why stones may tend to form more of them in one kidney over another. I think it has something to do with calcium oxalate grit settling in place and bonding together to form stones while lying still in horizontal positions for several hours when sleeping each night and with whichever position one sleeps in the very most .... left side or right, flat on the back or on the stomach. I'm a right side sleeper and if I sleep on my back I still tend to shift my weight over towards the right side of my back even then. The majority of my stones have come from my right kidney and the tiny grit has come from my left. It's just my theory and I have no idea how valid it might be.

My stones were originally calcium oxalate and then, over the years, switched to a mix of uric acid. When I see my urologist I will give him my latest stones to be analyzed again.

As far as your long walks; make sure you stop at the local rollercoaster: https://www.livescience.com/56261-ki...coaster.html!:)

I also suspect sleep position; but it is just a guess.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:12 AM

4,979 posts, read 4,878,273 times
Biologically, some people will be more prone to stones than others, for a variety of reasons.

I used to work with a girl who seemed to always have some medical issue and one of her many was that she constantly made kidney stones. She did have to take a diuretic which helped keep them at bay and occasionally her doctor would have her attempt to go off of it but as soon as she did, she said she could feel them eventually as they continued to grow and her doctor would assess her and then put her back on it again.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
My stones were originally calcium oxalate and then, over the years, switched to a mix of uric acid. When I see my urologist I will give him my latest stones to be analyzed again.

As far as your long walks; make sure you stop at the local rollercoaster https://www.livescience.com/56261-kidney-stones-roller-coaster.html

I also suspect sleep position; but it is just a guess.
That was interesting, and makes sense that the jarring motions and vibrations of the roller coaster may have an effect. I also understand that dancing helps to break them up - vigorous foot stomping dancing. I also unintentionally discovered for myself that they'll break up if digging deep holes or trenches with a shovel when you are repeatedly stomping hard on the shovel to drive it deep into the ground. Another method that works is drumming hard on a big hand held drum held close to the body - the rhythmic vibrations of the big drum head goes right through the body to the kidneys. Somebody else told me he broke his up by doing something similar - standing in front of a big bass speaker at high volume with his back turned to it and letting the percussive vibrations from the speaker do the work.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That was interesting, and makes sense that the jarring motions and vibrations of the roller coaster may have an effect. I also understand that dancing helps to break them up - vigorous foot stomping dancing. I also unintentionally discovered for myself that they'll break up if digging deep holes or trenches with a shovel when you are repeatedly stomping hard on the shovel to drive it deep into the ground. Another method that works is drumming hard on a big hand held drum held close to the body - the rhythmic vibrations of the big drum head goes right through the body to the kidneys. Somebody else told me he broke his up by doing something similar - standing in front of a big bass speaker at high volume with his back turned to it and letting the percussive vibrations from the speaker do the work.

Can you feel them before they are actually a problem? Sometimes I will know a month or weeks ahead of time. That is when I start taking my potassium citrate as prescribed! Of course it is probably too late by that time; but at least I feel that I tried something. I also am good at predicting the delivery and usually grab my little strainer if I'm home. I passed one at work that was a monster - but in might not have been all stone. Sometimes the stones are surrounded by a blood clot and I was not going to go diving in a public urinal to find out. So it could have been a small stone with a big clot?

I know that I should drink more water as jaminhealth always points out. There is just something about being a saint! I am trying; but it isn't easy.

As far as dancing; I would rather swing a chainsaw as long as I can - it's also a good workout!

Old 12-14-2018, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Can you feel them before they are actually a problem? .....

Not usually. A few rare times I've gotten a mild throbbing discomfort in the kidney area a few days in advance of tiny particles (sand sized) entering into the ureter. It's distinctive and when that happens I begin drinking more water to start flushing it through faster. I can feel it when it has reached the bladder and is about to enter the urethra, so I do know when to have the little strainer basket ready. It's not really painful, just irritating, and I don't bother going to hospital for sand. There's even been a few times that I passed sand without getting any warning or discomfort at all.

But usually what's happened when passing larger stones is I just suddenly with no warning get a really, really bad steady pain in the kidney accompanied by nausea and cramping abdominal muscles (like a charlie horse) and within an hour or less I can feel when the stone has just moved into the ureter. Every single time I've passed a bigger stone the really bad kidney ache has suddenly begun in the middle of the night after I'd already been sleeping soundly for 3 or 4 hours. For some reason 3 - 3:30 a.m. seems to be the most common hour it strikes me. I know what's coming then and that it's just going to get worse and worse and I'll need medical attention as soon as possible so I go directly to the ER. I've had dangerous renal colic with it 3 times now - the first time was the very worst and truly was life threatening as the pain was excruciating, blood pressure dropped and my diaphragm seized up on me and I couldn't breathe properly and went into shock - so I won't ever take any chances on it now and not go to the ER if I'm moving a painful stone.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:08 AM

455 posts, read 82,258 times
I have them in both kidneys. My urologist tracks them via ct scans & ultrasounds and at this stage they are all small enough to pass, which has happened a lot.

By far the scariest incident for me was when a stone was caught in my left ureter. I had no typical symptoms, no flank pain, just thought I had the flu. I did not even have a urologist at the time. On about day 4 of having a high fever I bought a thermometer and when it hit 105F I figured it was time for the ER...good thing, because after treatment I was told I had come close to septic shock.

The lithotripsy to break up the stone wasn’t the issue, it was the five-mile long hose that was rammed up my urethra and into my bladder to ease the passing of the fragments. When that hose was pulled out...I’ll just say that I went to a whole other level of agony.

I once passed a stone while on a commercial airliner...omg.

To all my fellow kidney-stone sufferers, I salute you and I. We have gone where no woman or man should ever have to go, and lived to tell the tale! Keep drinking water! Lots of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness