U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 07:17 AM

13,948 posts, read 11,083,640 times

Advertisements

I recently passed a few more stones; no big deal - I'm becoming a pro! On thinking it over all of my stones have been on my left side. Or, I should say, it felt like they came out of my left kidney to my bladder. Is it normal for one kidney to produce most of the stones? I just wanted to ask the experts since I have no idea if both kidneys function the same or have the same plumbing.

Even when I have had the dye with the X-rays they were always on my left. I just hope that my right kidney is not going to surprise me one of these days with a mother load! I have my left kidney trained pretty good at getting rid of the little pest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 10:32 AM

3,030 posts, read 1,294,835 times
Isn't it painful??? No expert, but I've had 'em on both sides. Had to have that lithotripsy and it nearly bankrupted me. When I did pass one, after that procedure, I screamed like a banshee at the pain.

I would guess your kidneys are different, in their propensity to produce stones.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:35 AM

2,889 posts, read 1,106,966 times
I had them on the left and was told they are most often on the left, though no one knows why.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I had them on the left and was told they are most often on the left, though no one knows why.
I was just curious; nobody ever told me that it is more common to have them on the left side. So maybe we will get some answers from the experts?

As the years have gone by they are not as painful as the first ones; I've been practicing! I've had both the lithotripsy and the reach up with the basket operation - the lithotripsy was a cakewalk compared to the physical removal. But, preferably, the do it yourself is much better - especially when you make the ranks of 'professional'!

Old 12-11-2018, 11:51 AM

20,980 posts, read 7,037,856 times
I've never had them and thank goodness that's one thing I'm ignorant on. I can only think it could be one or some of the supplements I take for years and drinking water all day that keeps me stone free. I know many here poo poo supplements but I don't need stones to pass, so who knows...

Do you supplement with calcium, I do not, but do take higher doses of magnesium, so this could be it for me. I'll just stick with my program.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:59 AM

25,540 posts, read 60,984,152 times
Mine was on the right. It got stuck and had to be removed. Yes, it hurt like a boss of hurting. I had to pull over several times on the way to the hospital to throw up from the pain. Once i was sufficiently drugged it was not so bad. Fentynol is wonderful stuff when used properly for its purpose. They told em I have more stones on the right side, lots of them but small ones. Apparently sometimes small ones can pass without you really noticing. They did not see any on the left that are big enough to identify.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Mine was on the right. It got stuck and had to be removed. Yes, it hurt like a boss of hurting. I had to pull over several times on the way to the hospital to throw up from the pain. Once i was sufficiently drugged it was not so bad. Fentynol is wonderful stuff when used properly for its purpose. They told em I have more stones on the right side, lots of them but small ones. Apparently sometimes small ones can pass without you really noticing. They did not see any on the left that are big enough to identify.
I had the pain and the throwing up on the first stone. I found that no painkiller really worked; but they did not give me Fentanyl. The only relief I found were hot showers with the hot water hitting my back - but eventually you have to come out the shower or you could become a permanent prune and run out of hot water!

Now I have to wonder if there are righties and lefties?

Did you have your stone analyzed? If it was calcium oxalate there is not too much they can do. But if it is totally or partially uric acid they can prescribe potassium citrate. The potassium citrate can help dissolve uric acid stones. I have been taking it for the last ten years and maybe it is helping me pass my stones easier or making the times in between stones longer? Of course I just passed a pair of pretty good size stones so maybe my body is producing more calcium oxalate stones now?

Once the stones make it to your bladder they are not as painful. I have a little strainer I use when I feel that delivery is imminent. Of course I can guess wrong. One of the largest stones I ever passed was at work and I was not going to go diving for it!

Old 12-11-2018, 01:37 PM

20,980 posts, read 7,037,856 times
I found these Do's and Don't's informative re: stones:

https://www.activebeat.com/your-heal...785aaa959e8915

Can't people get to the root and stop this painful issue.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:43 PM

25,540 posts, read 60,984,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I had the pain and the throwing up on the first stone. I found that no painkiller really worked; but they did not give me Fentanyl. The only relief I found were hot showers with the hot water hitting my back - but eventually you have to come out the shower or you could become a permanent prune and run out of hot water!

Now I have to wonder if there are righties and lefties?

Did you have your stone analyzed? If it was calcium oxalate there is not too much they can do. But if it is totally or partially uric acid they can prescribe potassium citrate. The potassium citrate can help dissolve uric acid stones. I have been taking it for the last ten years and maybe it is helping me pass my stones easier or making the times in between stones longer? Of course I just passed a pair of pretty good size stones so maybe my body is producing more calcium oxalate stones now?

Once the stones make it to your bladder they are not as painful. I have a little strainer I use when I feel that delivery is imminent. Of course I can guess wrong. One of the largest stones I ever passed was at work and I was not going to go diving for it!
I know they said what it was made out of, but they did not give me anything. The doctor turned out to be a bit of an arrogant prick and I quit going to him and found another urologist.

I do know whatever it was made of is often caused by excessive tea drinking, and I was drinking about a gallon of iced tea a day at the time. I cut way way back on tea since, so I take 5 hour energy to satisfy my caffene addiction.

The fentanyl was wonderful. No consciousness of the pain at all. I ended up begging for more of it towards the end of the dosage time. The other stuff did not help a lot. LaMaz techniques helped some. i was in the hospital, so no shower, but we have a tankeless water heater so cannot run out of hot water. Pruning is fine. if it helped, I would have stayed in there for days. In this case, I went in to the hospital at 3 a.m. had surgery and went home at about 5 p.m. I went to work the next day, but should not have. I should have given it another day.

Apparently my stone was not that big (5-6 mm) but it was lodged in something between my kidney and my bladder. They did not have access to the sound blaster machine for two weeks, so they used a laser to break it up and then cut out the pieces that were stuck. I woke up and felt like the world had been lifted off my shoulders. They said the sound blaster machine is so expensive they have to share it with about 20 hospitals, so they only get it for one day of the month. I could not wait two weeks. I was basically non-functional unless I was stoned.

I ended up getting a really severe UTI that was possibly worse than the stone. We went camping the weekend after my surgery and I was screaming in the latrine if I had to go between doses of antibiotics. I had two different antibiotics prescribed by different doctors (when the first one proved to be too weak), I just alternated them every two hours since they were take every four hours prescriptions. I probably should not have done that, but I would run a fever over 104 and literally scream in pain n the bathroom. The antibiotics made me way way better (no fever very little pain),but only for about two hours. When I got back the Dr gave me some nuclear bomb antibiotics and that finally killed it in about one day. I probably should not have gone camping, but I really wanted to go. Our daughter, Fiancee and fiancee mother were meeting us there and we do not get to see her much (basically never).

Old 12-11-2018, 06:16 PM

3,381 posts, read 2,958,139 times
I haven't had kidney stones yet, but my dad and two of my brothers get them. My youngest brother had surgery for them a few weeks ago. He was told he has a deformity in his kidney. He was only getting them on one side. I'm not sure which side. He didn't specify.

Another brother was told to cut down on his calcium intake. This caused another problem with weaker bones. He broke his shin bone a couple of years ago. He said he didn't do anything significant to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness