U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 05:14 AM

3,286 posts, read 1,334,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Actually no arthritis, but casual aches and pains in which ice works well. My problem stems from one particular tooth that has been treated(root canel where no infection was present) several times and now being told it is just sensitivity. Nothing severe, but enough dis-comfort to either live with it on Ibuprofen, or have an extraction. Weird thing is when it acts up sometimes my entire mouth gets sore. Dentist says not related, that it's a sinus problem.
If sinus problems are causing teeth issues, why not try to treat the sinus problems? I have this issue too some times of the year, but usually a nasal spray is fairly effective. That is not to say I do not have to take NSAIDs from time to time, but in many cases I can avoid it by treating the sinus issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 06:42 AM

470 posts, read 583,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I have a fear of the Nsaids I take but I wouldn't walk if I didn't take the dose I take every 6 hrs. I've been taking Grape Seed Ex for decades but never thought about any connection of stomach protection. Just found this info and yet another area of Grape Seed Ex benefits???? I have to think it's a benefit for my stomach.

Back in the 80's long before I found this antioxidant I ended up with a stomach ulcer from a anti inflammatory drug, so Maybe????

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3661959/
I too was popping more NSAIDs than I felt comfortable with for a really bad case of sciatica. I have been enjoying a remarkable degree of relief with acupuncture. It's not cheap, so it may not be an option for you, but you might check it out. For best results, you may need to commit (mentally, financially) to an initial course of several treatments in close succession, but then you might be able to go to acupuncture less frequently, just for maintenance, and get off (or greatly reduce) the NSAIDs.

I am not a doctor or any sort of health practitioner, so take this for what it's worth - just a report of my own experience!

Old 12-12-2018, 12:45 PM

20,319 posts, read 6,744,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
I too was popping more NSAIDs than I felt comfortable with for a really bad case of sciatica. I have been enjoying a remarkable degree of relief with acupuncture. It's not cheap, so it may not be an option for you, but you might check it out. For best results, you may need to commit (mentally, financially) to an initial course of several treatments in close succession, but then you might be able to go to acupuncture less frequently, just for maintenance, and get off (or greatly reduce) the NSAIDs.

I am not a doctor or any sort of health practitioner, so take this for what it's worth - just a report of my own experience!
Thanks and I've done acupuncture over the years but not now. I don't drive now and can't get around like I did before the infected knee issue I now live with, knee is very damaged...long story that I've talked about here. I even went as far as learning "self acupuncture" and was doing it for a while, but slacked off there...maybe I'll do it again around the knee. Acupuncture can help but gotta stay with it and it's pricey here, a way of life in China.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:14 PM

10,264 posts, read 9,548,510 times
following. ive torn my rotator cuff and my dr. says to use ibuprofen for a few days, then tylenol for the other days. problem is tylenol does **** when it comes to pain from injuries! The pain wakes me at night and is debilitating. Even ibuprofen just dulls it a bit, not take the pain away. I've used it for five straight days now and find myself having difficulty not taking it.

I used to take prescription ibuprofen (2400) for OA knee issues. exercise totally eliminated the need for the meds after a while, but that's not going to work this time :/

Old 12-12-2018, 06:32 PM

10,257 posts, read 2,793,222 times
I purposely got Tylenol #3 (Codeine) so I could stop taking as many Tylenols. I'd be much more worried about heavy use of Tylenol or Aspirin than I would be about light opiates (unless one is addicted or something)...

As it stands I've taken the #3 for much of a decade....and if I stop the "withdraw" is about equal to stopping coffee. But, honestly, I rarely stop either....life is too short.

(note - I usually take a single #3 per day and perhaps one other tylenol or aspirin. If I take an aspirin I make sure to buffer it with a TUMS).

CBD may work for some to slightly tamp down pain. Not cheap, tho.

To each his or her own, but we only have one liver, etc.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:06 PM

6,286 posts, read 3,384,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Anyone use anti-inflammatory drugs on a long term daily basis? Any recommendations as to things that can be done to prevent stomach problems? Unfortunately different Dr's say different things. My wife is a nurse-p and tells me to avoid. Tylenol just don't do the trick. My family practitioner seems to down play the warnings. I have been taking anywhere from 400 mg to 1200 mg of OTC Ibuprofen daily.
Tylenol won't work for me because it's not an anti-inflammatory. Naproxen works best on me, but Ibuprofen will also work to a lesser degree.

Naproxen does a number on my stomach. It feels like a little animal knawing in my stomach.

What I do that helps is I take one of those antacids with it.

The #1 thing I do that helps a LOT is I take an acid reducer before I take the anti-inflammatory. You're supposed to take it 1/2 hr before, but I don't. I don't have trouble w/my stomach, if I take that right before the anti-inflammatory. (It's Pepcid or a generic version.)

Ibuprofen gives me less trouble. Sometimes I take the acid reducer right before Ibuprofen. But Ibuprofen is easier on my stomach, anyway. But also less effective on me that Naproxen.

I've read that turmeric is a great anti-inflammatory. You can get it in pill form. I haven't tried it, though. I should do that.

Glucosamine? I take that, but not regularly like you're supposed to.

DIET:
***The substance in peppers is anti-inflammatory. I don't know if that works, but I like spicy food & peppers, so I eat those, anyway.

***Green tea. I started drinking green tea I brew at home years ago. It replaced the Diet Coke addiction I had. Green tea has anti-oxidants and is supposedly anti-inflammatory, too. If it is, I get plenty of that, since I drink it every day.

***Certain things in the diet exacerbate inflammation (excessive alcohol, refined carbs, HF corn syrup, sugar, etc.) The only one of those I consume to any degree is sugar, but not a lot of it or that often. But I love candy. Hard to resist.

***Red meat & processed meat supposedly causes inflammation. (I gave up beef years ago for ethical reasons, although I'm not a vegetarian. I rarely eat processed meats. I prefer real poultry, salmon in a can, etc.)

***Margarine supposedly causes inflammation. I also don't eat much margarine. I don't try not to eat it. But I guess I don't eat very often the foods that require it.

***Certain foods are anti-inflammatory, like some fruits, nuts, leafy veggies, fatty fish like salmon. I also eat these things on a regular basis year 'round, just because I like them. Esp. fruits. Hardly a day goes by that I don't eat fruit. I love those bags of frozen mixed fruits. Strawberries, mangos, peaches, berries.

Although I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis maybe 20 years ago (at an early age), mine doesn't seem to have progressed much, if at all. It's pretty mild (knock on wood). It's possible that the way I eat has something to do with that. If that helps you at all. I don't really try to eat anti-inflammatory. I just happen to like many of the things that are anti-inflammatory. So it's possible that that really helps. Still, I have a flareup of low back pain occasionally. If it's bad, I'll take Naproxen or Ibuprofen for a day or two. I probably should do a full 10 days of that at some point to knock it out totally.

I think I'll try the turmeric pills.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:38 PM

4,502 posts, read 1,891,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Your dentist can prescribe pain medication. Perhaps you've already used it up and are looking at alternatives since you can't take aspirin. You could try alcohol mouth rinse, such as Listerine, which will work.

link
For a toothache, that the dentist says is sensitivity? Nope.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:17 PM

9,335 posts, read 6,525,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Tylenol won't work for me because it's not an anti-inflammatory. Naproxen works best on me, but Ibuprofen will also work to a lesser degree.

Naproxen does a number on my stomach. It feels like a little animal knawing in my stomach.

What I do that helps is I take one of those antacids with it.

The #1 thing I do that helps a LOT is I take an acid reducer before I take the anti-inflammatory. You're supposed to take it 1/2 hr before, but I don't. I don't have trouble w/my stomach, if I take that right before the anti-inflammatory. (It's Pepcid or a generic version.)

Ibuprofen gives me less trouble. Sometimes I take the acid reducer right before Ibuprofen. But Ibuprofen is easier on my stomach, anyway. But also less effective on me that Naproxen.

I've read that turmeric is a great anti-inflammatory. You can get it in pill form. I haven't tried it, though. I should do that.

Glucosamine? I take that, but not regularly like you're supposed to.

DIET:
***The substance in peppers is anti-inflammatory. I don't know if that works, but I like spicy food & peppers, so I eat those, anyway.

***Green tea. I started drinking green tea I brew at home years ago. It replaced the Diet Coke addiction I had. Green tea has anti-oxidants and is supposedly anti-inflammatory, too. If it is, I get plenty of that, since I drink it every day.

***Certain things in the diet exacerbate inflammation (excessive alcohol, refined carbs, HF corn syrup, sugar, etc.) The only one of those I consume to any degree is sugar, but not a lot of it or that often. But I love candy. Hard to resist.

***Red meat & processed meat supposedly causes inflammation. (I gave up beef years ago for ethical reasons, although I'm not a vegetarian. I rarely eat processed meats. I prefer real poultry, salmon in a can, etc.)

***Margarine supposedly causes inflammation. I also don't eat much margarine. I don't try not to eat it. But I guess I don't eat very often the foods that require it.

***Certain foods are anti-inflammatory, like some fruits, nuts, leafy veggies, fatty fish like salmon. I also eat these things on a regular basis year 'round, just because I like them. Esp. fruits. Hardly a day goes by that I don't eat fruit. I love those bags of frozen mixed fruits. Strawberries, mangos, peaches, berries.

Although I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis maybe 20 years ago (at an early age), mine doesn't seem to have progressed much, if at all. It's pretty mild (knock on wood). It's possible that the way I eat has something to do with that. If that helps you at all. I don't really try to eat anti-inflammatory. I just happen to like many of the things that are anti-inflammatory. So it's possible that that really helps. Still, I have a flareup of low back pain occasionally. If it's bad, I'll take Naproxen or Ibuprofen for a day or two. I probably should do a full 10 days of that at some point to knock it out totally.

I think I'll try the turmeric pills.
I used OTC Naproxen ( not every day, not exceeding recommended doses, and never on an empty stomach), as my go to to relieve occasional joint aches and pains, as well as a shoulder bursitis that flares up sometimes. It worked well, but even this exposure was enough to cause gastric issues which were unbeknownst to me till last spring when my PCP informed me I had a positive fecal occult blood( GI bleeding)and she referred me to a general surgeon for a colonoscopy. He did an upper GI endoscopy as well, and discovered bleeding ulcers/erosions, which he believed had to have caused these as I don't drink, smoke or do illicit drugs or anything else that might cause ulcers. He prescribed pantoprazole, and sucralfate, and two endoscopies and 7 months later (I had new ulcers showing on the second one) the ulcers are gone and there is just inflammation there. This doctor has suggested that if I feel I need to take Naproxen, to take a minimum dose after a meal, and perhaps take a Sucralfate before the Naproxen to protect the stomach. I'm just trying to avoid taking any Naproxen,, or as little as possible at this point.

I also took Excedrine Migraine (or its generic big box store equivalent) occasionally which did a great job on chasing killer headaches/beginnings of migraine headaches away. But there is a fair amount of aspirin (as well as acetominophen and caffeine) in those so they could well have done a number on my stomach as well. So I have had to cut those out all together. Fortunately I've found the extra strength acetominophen works much better than I ever thought it would for those headaches, and even the bursitis to some degree. I've also been using some of the gels (CryoDerm) and ice on the sore areas and that provides some relief.

So I'm also looking for good natural antiinflammatories. Someone suggested I drink aloe juice, so I've been doing that. Not sure if it does a darn thing but it goes down easy and tastes pretty good. I'm also trying to eat some of the fruits, veggies reported to be antiinflammatories, and the jury is out on that as well.

You mention turmeric, I tried that as well, as it's touted to be the best thing since sliced bread for inflammation, as an antioxidant, and pretty much the cure for the world's ills, or so it seems. My husband had one bad flare of gout a couple years ago, and started taking supplemental tart cherry juice, and a capsule supplement containing tart cherry and turmeric extracts, and he's had no more flareups of his gout. I don't know if this supplement has really prevented his gout, or it's just coincidental (or a placebo effect), but I figured if it helps him, maybe it'll help my aches and pains too. So I ordered some more tart cherry/tumeric extract capsules, and thought I would take them as directed on the container.

And they *might* have been helpful, if it were not for the gallbladder issues that seemed to have reared their ugly heads after I got the issues with gastric ulcers settled down. I noticed some abdominal discomfort after the first and second capsules, but the third one was when I decided I had to be done with these. The third capsule made it feel as though my stomach was on fire, and that was followed a few minutes later with intense pain and cramping in the area of the gallbladder. After that, for about a day or so, it felt as though someone had kicked me there, but it finally subsided.

I couldn't imagine the reason for such a reaction, but when I looked it up, lo and behold several sites about turmeric warned to be careful taking it if one has gallbladder issues, as it may make things worse. And I came across a study that found turmeric caused significant gallbladder contractions in subjects they fed it to.

Well, that's me, and the takeaway message is that I shouldn't take turmeric (I have some tart cherry capsules and taking those didn't bother me, just the caps with the turmeric) with these gallbladder issues. Hopefully you don't have them and might find turmeric helpful as an antiflammatory. Might be worth a try.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:11 AM

70,021 posts, read 80,641,815 times
I take a tcouple a day and the doctor says that will cause no long term damage. Our granddaughter who is a NP says the same It is when you get to 6, 8 or more a day you can get yourself in trouble.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:20 AM

2,001 posts, read 862,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
If sinus problems are causing teeth issues, why not try to treat the sinus problems? I have this issue too some times of the year, but usually a nasal spray is fairly effective. That is not to say I do not have to take NSAIDs from time to time, but in many cases I can avoid it by treating the sinus issue.
Ditto, get the sinus issue looked at. It does sound like that could be part of your problem and fixing it is better than masking it with ibuprofen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or