U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-13-2018, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Southern California
20,311 posts, read 6,744,707 times
Reputation: 13616

Advertisements

Probably most here missed this thought I'd add the post from yesterday. Another benefit of GSPE???

Gastroprotective Effects of GSPE (gastro issues Nsaids etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2018, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Phila Pa
2,590 posts, read 1,825,466 times
Reputation: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
For a toothache, that the dentist says is sensitivity? Nope.
I feel its just guessing. Here is what stirred up the tooth;

I had a crown on the tooth for years ( never any problems) and my Dentist told me it needed to be replaced because the gum was receding and the root exposed. The day he removed that crown and built up the tooth for the new crown was when the pain started. That was about 4 mos ago.

Once he put the new permanent crown on the pain went away, only to return a month later. At that point he sent me to the Endodontist for root canel. No sign of abscess or infection, but just inflamed nerves. It was treated twice. Still have pain. Endodontist feels it could be a gum issue. Says the tooth is clean.

My next step is root planning. If that don't work then I will have the tooth removed. Don't plan on steady Ibuprofen for ever, but it has already been almost 3 mos of daily use. Sometimes I can get away with 800mg a day, other days 1200mg a day.

Just last night I tried ice when it flared up and worked quite well. Tried ice once before and made it feel worse. Just been months of aggravation.

Last edited by jazzy jeff; 12-13-2018 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2018, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Prescott AZ
5,944 posts, read 8,609,007 times
Reputation: 10970
For several years, I took Advil many times during each day. I have scoliosis, DDD and pain in my neck from a car wreck. I felt pretty good those years.

Then I had a routine endo and colonoscopy which showed stomach ulcers and Barretts Esophagas. BE is pre cancer in the esophagas, which scared me terribly. This is not a happy cancer. You are unable to eat and you just fade away.

I quit all ibupropen unless absolutely necessary once in a while. I use tylenol, a heating pad and neck stretcher. Not pain free but better off than cancer ridden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2018, 09:52 PM
 
38 posts, read 16,226 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
For several years, I took Advil many times during each day. I have scoliosis, DDD and pain in my neck from a car wreck. I felt pretty good those years.

Then I had a routine endo and colonoscopy which showed stomach ulcers and Barretts Esophagas. BE is pre cancer in the esophagas, which scared me terribly. This is not a happy cancer. You are unable to eat and you just fade away.
I think most would agree that many times a day for several years would not turn out well. The problem with dealing with pain is that there are so few choices for relief without risk. I'm also not sure if I agree with the many that say Ibuprofen masks the pain when in fact it reduces inflammation. Opioids are pain masking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2018, 07:28 AM
 
3,286 posts, read 1,334,199 times
Reputation: 6625
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedWarm View Post
I think most would agree that many times a day for several years would not turn out well. The problem with dealing with pain is that there are so few choices for relief without risk. I'm also not sure if I agree with the many that say Ibuprofen masks the pain when in fact it reduces inflammation. Opioids are pain masking.
Absolutely, but in the OPís case, heís indicated that the problem could be a sinus problem. Going to a doctor about his sinuses and trying a nasal spray for relief might reduce his need for ibuprofen/naproxen to intermittently. I also use stuff like nasal steamers, sinus rinse/neti pot as well. I find that in my case, a lot of times a hot shower and a nasal spray might be all I need to avoid having to take ibuprofen for a sinus issue that is causing facial pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2018, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Phila Pa
2,590 posts, read 1,825,466 times
Reputation: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Absolutely, but in the OPís case, heís indicated that the problem could be a sinus problem. Going to a doctor about his sinuses and trying a nasal spray for relief might reduce his need for ibuprofen/naproxen to intermittently. I also use stuff like nasal steamers, sinus rinse/neti pot as well. I find that in my case, a lot of times a hot shower and a nasal spray might be all I need to avoid having to take ibuprofen for a sinus issue that is causing facial pain.
I clarified when the problem started in post 132. The Dentist saying it could be sinuses is just guessing. The pain always is centered around the one tooth that had the work done. The mouth soreness only comes about after that particular tooth flares up with pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2018, 12:20 PM
 
461 posts, read 586,481 times
Reputation: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I feel its just guessing. Here is what stirred up the tooth;

I had a crown on the tooth for years ( never any problems) and my Dentist told me it needed to be replaced because the gum was receding and the root exposed. The day he removed that crown and built up the tooth for the new crown was when the pain started. That was about 4 mos ago.

Once he put the new permanent crown on the pain went away, only to return a month later. At that point he sent me to the Endodontist for root canel. No sign of abscess or infection, but just inflamed nerves. It was treated twice. Still have pain. Endodontist feels it could be a gum issue. Says the tooth is clean.

My next step is root planning. If that don't work then I will have the tooth removed. Don't plan on steady Ibuprofen for ever, but it has already been almost 3 mos of daily use. Sometimes I can get away with 800mg a day, other days 1200mg a day.

Just last night I tried ice when it flared up and worked quite well. Tried ice once before and made it feel worse. Just been months of aggravation.
That all sounds horrible. I'm suspicious of that dentist, & wonder what he charged you for all that. And if your gum was receding, shouldn't you have seen a periodontist perhaps?

As far as Ibuprofen, & other Nsaids, I never had a problem using them until maybe 15 years ago, & then major intestinal effects. Earlier this year, I had a tooth absess, & the the dentist prescribed Ibuprofen. After only a few days, more intestinal effects, major diarrhea to the point that I won't describe it here.

Unfortunately, most really effective pain meds, like muscle relaxers for severe back pain, or a few percocet or codeine after dental surgery, are now often vilified. And patients who take a few of those when they really are in serious pain, are all presumed to almost instantly become drug addicts............really????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2018, 11:40 PM
 
630 posts, read 227,519 times
Reputation: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Anyone use anti-inflammatory drugs on a long term daily basis? Any recommendations as to things that can be done to prevent stomach problems? Unfortunately different Dr's say different things. My wife is a nurse-p and tells me to avoid. Tylenol just don't do the trick. My family practitioner seems to down play the warnings. I have been taking anywhere from 400 mg to 1200 mg of OTC Ibuprofen daily.
My aunt has taken 500mg of naproxen for a few years. She is 92. I take naproxen sometimes. The relief it gives me outweighs my concern about side effects right now. I am 75.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2018, 11:55 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
10,958 posts, read 19,315,463 times
Reputation: 25529
I've taken 800mg ibuprofen twice a day for years. My doctor said I should stop, but insurance wouldn't cover the Celebrex she wanted me to take instead, and the inflammation in my joints gets bad enough that I can barely get around when I don't take ibuprofen, to the point that I have to walk with a cane.

I'm taking turmeric, ashwagandha, boswellia and vitamin c to help with inflammation, and they work. After taking them for six months, I have more range of movement in my shoulders and hips. I still can't manage without the ibuprofen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2018, 12:07 AM
 
Location: Southern California
20,311 posts, read 6,744,707 times
Reputation: 13616
I'm taking 400mg Ibuprofen every 6 hrs most days and just had doc appt last week and she's checking blood for liver/kidney function. Make sure one takes these Nsaids with food in stomach,

Too much arthritis,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top