Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 01:15 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,224,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Anyone use anti-inflammatory drugs on a long term daily basis? Any recommendations as to things that can be done to prevent stomach problems? Unfortunately different Dr's say different things. My wife is a nurse-p and tells me to avoid. Tylenol just don't do the trick. My family practitioner seems to down play the warnings. I have been taking anywhere from 400 mg to 1200 mg of OTC Ibuprofen daily.
Unfortunately its not just the risk of GI issues including potential ulceration that you have to worry about, it's also kidney damage and cardiac risks associated with long term use of these medications.

Taking a "drug holiday" is commonly suggested as mentioned in this article and is a good idea.

Tough issue, some of these risks are dose/duration dependent but the cardiac issues can arise suddenly and without warning after even short time use of NSAIDs

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...k-201507138138
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 01:24 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,567,188 times
Quote:
Actually no arthritis, but casual aches and pains in which ice works well. My problem stems from one particular tooth that has been treated(root canel where no infection was present) several times and now being told it is just sensitivity. Nothing severe, but enough dis-comfort to either live with it on Ibuprofen, or have an extraction. Weird thing is when it acts up sometimes my entire mouth gets sore. Dentist says not related, that it's a sinus problem.
Your dentist can prescribe pain medication. Perhaps you've already used it up and are looking at alternatives since you can't take aspirin. You could try alcohol mouth rinse, such as Listerine, which will work.

link

Old 12-11-2018, 03:56 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,419,953 times
Quote:
Anyone use anti-inflammatory drugs on a long term daily basis? Any recommendations as to things that can be done to prevent stomach problems? Unfortunately different Dr's say different things. My wife is a nurse-p and tells me to avoid. Tylenol just don't do the trick. My family practitioner seems to down play the warnings. I have been taking anywhere from 400 mg to 1200 mg of OTC Ibuprofen daily.
Good topic. I had an upper GI endoscopy a few days ago. Little did I know I have GERD and some other erosions in my stomach from longer-term use of Naproxen. I was active duty Army and that is the first thing the military hospital/clinics give soldiers for pain or sick call. I started taking Naproxen at 18. I'm in my late 30's now. But I never took it often.

I would take it on and off for a few days than not take it for months at a time. But the doctor feels like I need to stop taking it since I have gastric ulcers and erosions from it. Even though I have no major symptoms, he feels it was caused by the Naproxen. So even with occasional use, it can affect you. I have to switch to Tylenol and use a proton inhibitor for a while.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:33 PM

22,658 posts, read 24,585,979 times
When I used to take ibuprofen, I would get an odd tightness on my right-side, near my liver-area and also on both sides of my lower-back. Now I stick to aspirin, only when I really need it....do not have the same problem.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:35 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,648,693 times
It's so easy to do a Google search to see what the negative side effects are of any drug - it's shocking to me that people don't do this.

The drugs you are talking about have super serious side-effects.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:29 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,297,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
It's so easy to do a Google search to see what the negative side effects are of any drug - it's shocking to me that people don't do this.

The drugs you are talking about have super serious side-effects.
I agree there are lots of resources on drug usage on the web. Many drugs OTC and prescribed can have serious side effects, and what you read on the web are worst case scenarios. They never indicate the percentages or odds of such.
In speaking to my primary care doc, his main concern would be stomach, and blood pressure. He reminded me that my 1200 mg a day is not comparable to prescription strength which can go up as high as 3200 mg a day. So dosage plays a huge factor when it comes to side effects.
He recommended me trying to take Ibuprofen and Tylenol together, or in alternation. Tylenol also has serious side effects in large dosages, yet is considered one of the safest drugs out there.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:52 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
I'm hoping the 30billion CFU I take daily is giving me protection.

https://www.natren.com/blog/ppis-nsaids-and-probiotics/

I don't take the above product, but another company's.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:08 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,648,693 times
Quote:
I agree there are lots of resources on drug usage on the web. Many drugs OTC and prescribed can have serious side effects, and what you read on the web are worst case scenarios. They never indicate the percentages or odds of such.
In speaking to my primary care doc, his main concern would be stomach, and blood pressure. He reminded me that my 1200 mg a day is not comparable to prescription strength which can go up as high as 3200 mg a day. So dosage plays a huge factor when it comes to side effects.
He recommended me trying to take Ibuprofen and Tylenol together, or in alternation. Tylenol also has serious side effects in large dosages, yet is considered one of the safest drugs out there.
You must be reading different research than I am.

The articles I am reading say that each drug, even in low doses, causes organ distress/failure. Not sure why anyone would downplay that.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:33 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,419,953 times
Quote:
I don't know what you are using it for but my doctor is giving me Tylenol and a external pain cream. Hopefully, that works because I was only taking 500mg of Naproxen which is a low dosage. In the last 5 years, I took 500 mg Naproxen 3 days a month and I have some stomach issues. Luckily my doctor said it should heal in 6 months to 1 year.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:35 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
I have a fear of the Nsaids I take but I wouldn't walk if I didn't take the dose I take every 6 hrs. I've been taking Grape Seed Ex for decades but never thought about any connection of stomach protection. Just found this info and yet another area of Grape Seed Ex benefits???? I have to think it's a benefit for my stomach.

Back in the 80's long before I found this antioxidant I ended up with a stomach ulcer from a anti inflammatory drug, so Maybe????

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3661959/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness