U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 10:55 AM

2,567 posts, read 1,811,049 times

Advertisements

Anyone use anti-inflammatory drugs on a long term daily basis? Any recommendations as to things that can be done to prevent stomach problems? Unfortunately different Dr's say different things. My wife is a nurse-p and tells me to avoid. Tylenol just don't do the trick. My family practitioner seems to down play the warnings. I have been taking anywhere from 400 mg to 1200 mg of OTC Ibuprofen daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 11:08 AM

1,958 posts, read 836,947 times
If you regularly take NSAIDs, you should be on an acid reducer such as Prilosec, Prevacid, etc. Also take it with food and try to always take the lowest dose.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:22 AM

7,171 posts, read 6,764,796 times
Acetminophen's, such as Tylenol, are not anti-inflammatory. Don't take NSAID's on an empty stomach. You can get elevated liver enzymes from long term use. As a blood donor, I started to get high readings two times and went off ibuprofen. They can be effective at masking pain. Running too much on them can exacerbate the underlying injury. Your doctor should be your primary resource unless you have doubts. If you're using them for a specific condition or activity, I would consult a doctor who's knowledgeable about that long-term condition or sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB9suniH6MA

Old 12-11-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Acetminophen's, such as Tylenol, are not anti-inflammatory. Don't take NSAID's on an empty stomach. You can get elevated liver enzymes from long term use. As a blood donor, I started to get high readings two times and went off ibuprofen. They can be effective at masking pain. Running too much on them can exacerbate the underlying injury. Your doctor should be your primary resource unless you have doubts. If you're using them for a specific condition or activity, I would consult a doctor who's knowledgeable about that long-term condition or sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB9suniH6MA
I understand that. Tylenol is not effective for me at all. Ibuprofen works well.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:47 AM

19,776 posts, read 6,555,861 times
OP: I take Ibuprofen 400 mg and sometimes try to just take 200mg every 6 hrs and always on stomach with food. I also take daily probiotics of 30billion CFU's...hope this helps things.

When I was in rehab with knee infection, they were giving me 600mg every 6 hrs so at least I got it reduced now at home.

I suspect you are taking for arthritis pain? When I was seeing a D.O. in 2016 and he was doing Prolo injections and bodywork, I was able to get OFF ibuprofen for some months, and that was a great feeling. Then I got the infection so had to deal with that issue...I'm going back to see him next year as I'd like to be off the ibuprofen as it's not a good thing, if only drug companies gave us drugs with no side effects....

Old 12-11-2018, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 294 times
I took Ibuprofen for years and it resulted in me getting Chronic Kidney Disease-Stage 3. I took it for severe back pain following failed multi-level fusion surgery’s. My doctor told me it was better to take the Ibuprofen than the pain pills I was taking at the time. I’m not so sure about that now. Iluvbeagles.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:27 PM

2,511 posts, read 1,345,979 times
I would ask your doctor about the safest long term anti inflammatory. All will have risks but for me I was told Celebrex was my best option. However my medical history is different than yours so what is best for me might not be best for you.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: I take Ibuprofen 400 mg and sometimes try to just take 200mg every 6 hrs and always on stomach with food. I also take daily probiotics of 30billion CFU's...hope this helps things.

When I was in rehab with knee infection, they were giving me 600mg every 6 hrs so at least I got it reduced now at home.

I suspect you are taking for arthritis pain? When I was seeing a D.O. in 2016 and he was doing Prolo injections and bodywork, I was able to get OFF ibuprofen for some months, and that was a great feeling. Then I got the infection so had to deal with that issue...I'm going back to see him next year as I'd like to be off the ibuprofen as it's not a good thing, if only drug companies gave us drugs with no side effects....
Actually no arthritis, but casual aches and pains in which ice works well. My problem stems from one particular tooth that has been treated(root canel where no infection was present) several times and now being told it is just sensitivity. Nothing severe, but enough dis-comfort to either live with it on Ibuprofen, or have an extraction. Weird thing is when it acts up sometimes my entire mouth gets sore. Dentist says not related, that it's a sinus problem.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Actually no arthritis, but casual aches and pains in which ice works well. My problem stems from one particular tooth that has been treated(root canel where no infection was present) several times and now being told it is just sensitivity. Nothing severe, but enough dis-comfort to either live with it on Ibuprofen, or have an extraction. Weird thing is when it acts up sometimes my entire mouth gets sore. Dentist says not related, that it's a sinus problem.
I have a molar that's gone thru some issues in the last 10 yrs and when it acts up which thankfully isn't often, I work with Tea Tree Oil or Oil of Oregano or Myrrh Tincture. Use a couple of these in my toothpaste I make up and then keep bottles on hand to dab on the area if it flairs and as I said it does not often.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:06 PM

Years ago I talked to a pharmacist about the "safest" otc main med to take and he said aspirin. Now if I asked a pharmacist today, I'd probably get a different answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or