U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:06 AM

69,877 posts, read 80,365,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermomma View Post
Lobbying has morphed from it's original intent into legalized bribery of our elected voting representatives.

Insurance, both healthcare and auto are among some of the largest lobbying groups as well as the
big pharma. Our elected officials are given too much in the way of gifts and insider trading to be
influenced unfairly. Corporations being favored over the general population and the profiteering of
such given by voting standards is a huge problem.

I read somewhere that our elected government officials own stock in the same health insurance companies
that insure the general population. If that is the case, that is a huge red flag. Investors too muddy the
waters and create unfair policy for a product that we all must have for survival. CEO's are waaay
overcompensated due to return investor satisfaction only. Health care insurers answer to no one. There
is zero accountability to consumers or beneficiaries. Health care insurers decide protocol and we have no
choice but to submit.

All this for products and services needed for survival. Lobbying has become a huge problem.
Lobbying can be a problem: most of us know that, but to say you read something, someplace doesn't make it true. I or anyone can write anything we want. I have no idea if our elected officials do or so not own stock in health insurance companies. Heck they may not either.

I guess what you are saying is: we should have no insurance period; not health: not car: not homeowners. Try having to replace all your floors because of a flood in your house. Then tell us: we shouldn't have insurance. Or try to replace your burned out house in Paradise CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
The majority of Americans are not happy with the current system. At all. Where are you getting that erroneous information from?
We DO need single payer healthcare, whether we get it or not is another story.
Totally disagree with you on this: those who want it are those who do not understand how it works or how it effect our health care. Some changes need to be made but certainly we do not need single payer healthcare. Where are you getting your information from?

Old Yesterday, 06:17 AM

621 posts, read 157,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Lobbying can be a problem: most of us know that, but to say you read something, someplace doesn't make it true. I or anyone can write anything we want. I have no idea if our elected officials do or so not own stock in health insurance companies. Heck they may not either.

I guess what you are saying is: we should have no insurance period; not health: not car: not homeowners. Try having to replace all your floors because of a flood in your house. Then tell us: we shouldn't have insurance. Or try to replace your burned out house in Paradise CA.
But your car and house ins is based on value. Your car ins isnt going to pay you $30,000 if your car is only worth $10,000, if they pay at all. Ditto for your house. Health ins on the other hand is a whole different animal. What is the value of a human life? And are some humans more valuable than others?

Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM

4,915 posts, read 6,003,339 times
Quote:
Totally disagree with you on this: those who want it are those who do not understand how it works or how it effect our health care. Some changes need to be made but certainly we do not need single payer healthcare. Where are you getting your information from?
You are free to disagree. I would like to know who is happy with their healthcare as in costs.
And I do understand how it works. It would be very hard to implement but if we managed it we would all end up paying less in the long run.

I have what is considered decent insurance. Over the past few years premiums have gone up as well as copays. I am shocked every time I open a bill to see how little my insurance company paid. A visit to an ER runs a $1000.
And drug prices are crazy. I am on a new drug that costs me with insurance $50 a month. If my insurance didn't cover it it would cost over $200 a month. I am not happy with the status quo and I doubt very highly most people are.

Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM

159 posts, read 58,437 times
Quote:

Keep on guessing. You guessed wrong and you sure as heck took liberties with my post.
I have no idea why you came to that conclusion.

Google search: elected representatives own stock in health insurance companies

Tons of info to sift from and decide for yourself. Research and learn the truth.

Last edited by tigermomma; Yesterday at 10:21 AM..

Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM

3,236 posts, read 1,302,799 times
Quote:
I want it. I lived in two countries with socialized medicine and used the system in both places. You are making a lot of false assumptions. While neither were perfect, I did not have to worry about whether I would get a huge bill. I have one friend who is ultra right wing. He still thinks this system sucks and wants Medicare for all. I think this is something that goes beyond political affiliation.

Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You are free to disagree. I would like to know who is happy with their healthcare as in costs.
And I do understand how it works. It would be very hard to implement but if we managed it we would all end up paying less in the long run.

I have what is considered decent insurance. Over the past few years premiums have gone up as well as copays. I am shocked every time I open a bill to see how little my insurance company paid. A visit to an ER runs a $1000.
And drug prices are crazy. I am on a new drug that costs me with insurance $50 a month. If my insurance didn't cover it it would cost over $200 a month. I am not happy with the status quo and I doubt very highly most people are.
Pretty interesting, your your premiums have gone up in the past few years: HELLO Obama care and now you want something similar. My kids and grand kids are experiencing the same thing and before Obama care they were very happy with their plans. Let me also explain to you or maybe I shouldn't waste my time how it worked when our family was young. I can simply say, in comparison to now, we paid a lot more for insurance than you pay today %age wise that is.

Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM

4,915 posts, read 6,003,339 times
Quote:
Pretty interesting, your your premiums have gone up in the past few years: HELLO Obama care and now you want something similar. My kids and grand kids are experiencing the same thing and before Obama care they were very happy with their plans. Let me also explain to you or maybe I shouldn't waste my time how it worked when our family was young. I can simply say, in comparison to now, we paid a lot more for insurance than you pay today %age wise that is.
Why are you so angry? We get insurance throughly husbands law firm. Obama care (ACA) was flawed from the beginning but it did help a lot of people with pre existing conditions. The ACA was a REPUBLICAN plan.
And you don't have to explain anything to me. Your explanations don't hold water.

Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM

1,705 posts, read 3,077,332 times
Obamacare != Single Payer. Single payer is much closer to medicare for all and seniors LOVE their medicare. I can't tell you how many 55-65 year olds who literally have told me they can't wait until they turn 65 so they can finally stop having to worry about health insurance.

Quote:

Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM

1,147 posts, read 386,277 times
Quote:

Well, the elected officials in Washington who supported Obamacare, wouldn’t use it. They had their own, much better plans and they were keeping them.

It seems a lot of people want single payer. I liked the poster’s idea of Medicare for all, like they have in Japan. I’m betting the program is run in a competent manner, and I especially liked the complementary Chinese medicine. I’m guessing it helps to keep down the cost.

Maybe the US should study this and see if a similar program would be feasible. Or implement single payer for those who want it and for the rest, the option to use private practitioners. A lot of people need affordable healthcare. The thing is, if you didn’t qualify for the subsidy, then Obamacare wasn’t all that affordable. Imagine telling a family that their deductible is 12k!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness