U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 01:58 PM

21 posts, read 3,691 times

Advertisements

How should the US structure our healthcare in a way that's sustainable, and reasonable for the future generation and for the aging baby boomers? How do we reconcile the rising costs and the EMTALA laws, that effectively socializes emergency care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 07:07 PM

19,796 posts, read 6,565,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nae5150 View Post
How should the US structure our healthcare in a way that's sustainable, and reasonable for the future generation and for the aging baby boomers? How do we reconcile the rising costs and the EMTALA laws, that effectively socializes emergency care?
Well, for starters, I believe EVERYONE needs to take control of their health and that's what I do...spend most of my money on supplements to work on healing myself before I run off to doctors.

The rest of it, the experts can't even do what is needed...I guess.

America is too capitalistic a country. Needs and wants are bigger and bigger and so it goes.

Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM

69,867 posts, read 80,330,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nae5150 View Post
I have to say, we are relatively healthy and avoid going to the doctors unless necessary and for our annual check ups. That is a start. As for what plan works best, that simply depends on who you talk to and everyone's needs. I do think something has to be done about the high deductables some pay. This does not mean I am anyway in favor of socialized medicine.

Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM

4,909 posts, read 5,996,827 times
We need single payer healthcare. We need to take the evil insurance companies out of the mix. We need to reign in big Pharma and put an end to price gouging on medications. How we do that is another story. But if we did do it our taxes would be lower than our insurance premiums and costs of doctors and medications combined that we now pay.

Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM

69,867 posts, read 80,330,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
We need single payer healthcare. We need to take the evil insurance companies out of the mix. We need to reign in big Pharma and put an end to price gouging on medications. How we do that is another story. But if we did do it our taxes would be lower than our insurance premiums and costs of doctors and medications combined that we now pay.
BULL and not to mention you wouldn't get the same medical care you get today.

Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM

Isn't Medicare as close to social medicine as we have in the U.S. I'm thankful for my doctor and D.O. who both still take Medicare. A lot of doctors have bowed out of Medicare and now many I know have gone to HMO's, I've been able to steer clear so far. The ortho MD's I've talked to still accept Medicare as so many older people are dealing with joint issues.

Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM

5,436 posts, read 1,580,094 times
long lines in Canada to receive specialized care with 30 million. Sure, let's jump into that with 330 million.

Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
long lines in Canada to receive specialized care with 30 million. Sure, let's jump into that with 330 million.
I hear different stories about care in Canada. Our countries are vast differences in populations. Do the MD's in Canada draw the salaries that MD's have made in the U.S.

Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM

85,330 posts, read 99,639,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Good heavens! Even though I favor UHC, I cannot go a long with these conspiracy theories. "Evil" insurance companies, "Big Pharma". And I do not think for one minute that a UHC would be cheaper than the current system, not with the accouterments that we are used to in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I hear different stories about care in Canada. Our countries are vast differences in populations. Do the MD's in Canada draw the salaries that MD's have made in the U.S.
You could easily Google that.

Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM

2,720 posts, read 1,181,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
BULL and not to mention you wouldn't get the same medical care you get today.
Have you experienced health care in a socialized setting? I have. Our monthly payment is $80 for us both on the nationalized plan, and we have both been in the hospital here. Care was every bit as good as the U.S. No copays, no deductibles, no surprises, no "networks". No one goes without care here in this developing country. All the U.S. has to do is look around at the HC success stories in other countries.

But it will never change due to the built-in exorbitant profits at every level.

As for "long waits"---I had to wait over 3 months for my hip replacement in good ole Texas. That's typical. I know lots of Canadians and they are just fine with their system there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness