Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2018, 06:02 PM

112 posts, read 260,674 times

Advertisements

I banged my elbow on a wall last July and it bother me ever since, sometime sensitive when firmly touched. After 3-4 month I had it looked at, and x-rays confirmed bursitis. Three days ago I was lifting chest/back and it flared up, and I have a fair amount of fluid at the tip of my elbow.

I am now icing and popping some naproxen, and plan to get an elbow wrap/sleeve this weekend. Any luck with anything else to get swelling down? I plan to get in the gym for some weight lifting, but won't overdue it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 06:07 AM

7,134 posts, read 4,965,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7footer View Post
I banged my elbow on a wall ….

You name doesn't happen to be Harvey, does it?

Your post seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle here.

Bursitis is a nuisance problem-- it won't kill you, but it does interfere with happiness....No good treatment except rest-- don't irritate it further, including no leaning on the bar Anti-inflammatories like aspirin, ibuprofen etc may help, but are no miracle cures....The doc can drain the fluid, but it tends to come back quickly. If it's bad enough (to you) then the bursa can be surgically removed...Good luck with it.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:27 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,481,727 times
About 7 days of vitamin D will usually end the bursitis. I use 5,000 IU. Some recommend 10,000 or 20,000 IU for up to 7 to 10 days.

https://vitamindwiki.com/Bursitis+and+Vitamin+D

Old 12-18-2018, 10:12 AM

3,095 posts, read 2,031,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7footer View Post
I banged my elbow on a wall last July and it bother me ever since, sometime sensitive when firmly touched. After 3-4 month I had it looked at, and x-rays confirmed bursitis. Three days ago I was lifting chest/back and it flared up, and I have a fair amount of fluid at the tip of my elbow.

I am now icing and popping some naproxen, and plan to get an elbow wrap/sleeve this weekend. Any luck with anything else to get swelling down?

Many athletes eat a lot of pineapple for bursitis. The bromelain enzyme is antiflammatory, reduces swelling, pain and helps speed up healing. Drinking the juice works better for some people but if you have any digestive issues, eat fresh pineapple instead. Licorice root tea is as effective as hydrocortisone without the potential side effects: weight gain, insomnia, reduced infection resistance and indigestion. LR may, however, reduce your potassium level which can be prevented by eating more potassium-rich foods or supplementing when using it.

A good diet to include plenty leafy greens, foods with vitamin c, omega 3, etc.

Quote:
I plan to get in the gym for some weight lifting, but won't overdue it.
Just know that resuming repetitive motion too soon, light or not, can cause further damage and delay healing.

Last edited by SimplySagacious; 12-18-2018 at 10:44 AM..

Old 12-18-2018, 04:52 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,179,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
About 7 days of vitamin D will usually end the bursitis. I use 5,000 IU. Some recommend 10,000 or 20,000 IU for up to 7 to 10 days.

Vitamin D will do absolutely nothing for olecranon bursitis

Compression, elevation, NSAID's and avoiding further irritation by avoiding leaning on the elbow are mainstays of treatment

In Orthopaedics we do not recommend draining the bursa as this is not a benign procedure and can introduce infection, the only reason to drain an olecranon bursa is if there is already evidence of possible infection to obtain cultures to guide antibiotic treatment...

Otherwise benign neglect is the treatment of choice as the condition almost always resolves on its own...

Old 12-18-2018, 09:53 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,573,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post

If there is validity to this info, and I keep an open mind to so much, why not give it a try, price is right and if one is low in Vit D all the better.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:56 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,179,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
If there is validity to this info, and I keep an open mind to so much, why not give it a try, price is right and if one is low in Vit D all the better.
There is no validity to this information, discounting proven mainstream medical advice for woo isn't keeping an "open mind" either.....the link provided doesn't even support the contention that Vitamin will "cure" bursitis in 7 days

Old 12-19-2018, 12:38 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,573,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
There is no validity to this information, discounting proven mainstream medical advice for woo isn't keeping an "open mind" either.....the link provided doesn't even support the contention that Vitamin will "cure" bursitis in 7 days
Well, BD, you keep trying to open my mind to your thinking, but it does not work. Just know we just disagree and I do now get some laughs from it all. And my latest thinking is I've become a hobby for some. Thanks.

OH, I found the Vit D link to be quite interesting. And as we've been told so so many are deficient in our country and a lot of other countries too. But amazing, you know better.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 12-19-2018 at 02:07 PM..

Old 01-03-2019, 09:24 PM

112 posts, read 260,674 times
Just now reading the responses since my initial post. Of course I kept doing some lifting and the elbow bulge is more apparent so I’m going in the wrong direction. No more weights for me for a while as I will rear it as best I can. I’m keeping it wrapped/compressed and now doing 400 mg of naproxen twice a day. Perhaps more would be better?? I’m. Big guy (285 lbs) but not sure if that means I need more than an ‘average’ guy. (I hate taking meds/drugs, but it won’t be forever so my kidneys and liver and whatever won’t likely be affected... I hope.) have thrown a cold pack on it a few times but not convinved it does much. Thanks for previous input!

Old 01-04-2019, 12:31 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,934,361 times
If you can take an anti-inflammatory (like Ibuprofen or Naproxen), do that....it helps with inflammation, which is causing the discomfort....Ice and rest are best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness