Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 06:51 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalPolyps View Post
I do have pepcid and I have taken it before, it helps but I don't like the fact it has antihistamine. I took this, it helped somewhat, but the next day, I was feeling groggy even though it had been more than 12 hours since I took it. Make sense since benadryl, which act similar stays in your system for 24 hours before is completely removed, so the same would apply to this antihistamine
Pepcid is NOT an antihistamine. It is a H2 blocker

Excessive tiredness is not even listed in side effects on Epocrates.com. But, as I tell my patients, any med can affect any human in any way

Old 12-16-2018, 07:14 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
From what I've read and been told, it's long term use of PPIs that are associated with the side effects you hear about. I was told by a doctor I saw that PPI use is supposed to be limited to 3 months, but he still prescribed Protonix for me for a total of 8 months due to gastric ulcers that healed that slowly. You might try an over the counter PPI (such as Omeperazole) for a short time to see if it might improve your symptoms, and check all this out with the doctor you see in January when you get your insurance. Also as you are doing, be mindful of what you eat that might aggrevate your reflux, and don't eat for a few hours before you go to bed.

I now take prescription strength Pepcid-at least for a few months. This is hopefully to get rid of the gastric inflammation where the ulcers were. I haven't had any side effects from these that I can tell.
I am taking Protonix now after an EGD showed that I have Barrett's esophagus and esophageal ulcer. I have had reflux for years and took omeprazole for several years but then stopped. It only helped intermittently.

I was shocked that the Protonix had completely eliminated my GERD, and like you I haven't had any side effects so far. I was falling asleep sitting up because I could not lie flat to sleep. I couldn't eat and then go to bed, even sitting up. Now I can eat and sleep like a normal person. I know I can't take Protonix forever. Will see what my GI doctor recommends after six months of Protonix.

I have considered looking into the LINX procedure. I have a hiatal hernia too.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:14 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times
We have so many medications for this. Buck up and see a doctor and get some help. In the meantime, get yourself on one of the OTCs if you are very uncomfortable.

Be glad you live now and not in the time before PPIs were invented (which was only in the 80s by the way)

Old 12-16-2018, 07:30 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I have reflux and have to avoid certain foods............mainly acidic and spicy foods.

Get an upper-GI endoscopy, this will tell you a LOT.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:49 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
See a doctor. You have two threads about this. No more.
Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness