U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 12:29 PM

20,113 posts, read 6,664,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
Similar issues Ė same pain. I had an impingement in the shoulder. Mine led to a frozen shoulder, as it was just too much effort and pain to move it. That happens rather quickly. NSAIDs worked for a bit, but never at night.

Had the shots but was limited to 3, as more than that could damage the area, as suggested by another poster. Beware a Doc that wants to just keep giving you the shots. Went the tramadol route. Originally told that it wasnít addictive and non-narcotic, but narcotic-like. Only to discover it is in fact addictive, as it is also an anti-depressant you begin to enjoy the euphoria it causesÖbe very cautious using it long term.
I also went the Voltarin route, but that only helped during the day and not the night pain.

Oddly enough, my relief came from essential oils. Iím not normally a holistic type person, Iím all for better living through medicine yada yada. But someone suggested Copaiba oil. A little of that rubbed on at night before I went to bed and I was able to sleep through the night. I then began a home PT program Ė anything to avoid surgery which was my next step. I went from having a completely frozen shoulder Ė think not being able to go through a drive through, as I couldnít reach with my left arm Ė to almost 100 mobility. Not saying it will workÖbut a nice painless thing to try.
I ended up with two messed up shoulders over 10 yrs ago and one almost frozen, but a great chiro worked the H out of that shoulder and kept it from freezing. I subsequently found Prolotherapy work and one session of Prolo gave me 3 yrs of pain free shoulder. Prolo works in spite of what others think or don't know,,,

My 80 yr old shoulders certainly have their issues, but they work and no cortisone for sure..which just breaks down the cartilage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 12:34 PM

20,113 posts, read 6,664,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Jamin check out Harris Teeter if you have them near you. I got a whole organic chicken (4.4 lbs) for 6.57 yesterday. I do just that and also do it with turkey which is often even cheaper especially after holidays. I buy them in bulk when on sale like that and put them in the freezer until Iím ready to cook.
Thanks, no Harris Teeter in this part of the U.S., but got mine at Coop market for $13, I'll get some nice chicken from it and the broth. Will do the work tomorrow, it's a long cook to get that good broth from the bones.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:36 PM

3,073 posts, read 2,044,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The OP is very active. I doubt she wants to wait 18 months to get better!
What makes you think I'm not active? What do you think I could have done to make the wait shorter that I didn't do? These things take time no matter what even with PT, THAT was my point. It also doesn't affect any activities that don't involve lifting, so I don't get your point. The only thing I could have done that I didn't do was surgery. I'm curious...

Old Today, 12:41 AM

10,255 posts, read 9,523,078 times
Guys..all of you.. thanks. Update .. doc put me on Tramadol for five days, I guess to get me thru the holidays. Heís not a fan of narcotics but I needed something other than nsaids. Itís like pick your poison bc I know Tramadol is an opioid and it has clear warnings about addiction. I can see why ppl are addicted. I take just one 50mg pill at night and it gives me all day pain relief basically. Some discomfort when doing things but not the agonizing pain that used to wake me up at night. I finally can sleep pain free and live my life!!!! Itís made an overall improvement in my mood bc of this. The side effect tho is drowsiness/grogginess which sucks but better than pain. The dr is controlling the med tho giving it to me for a few days not a month. So meanwhile I will need to explore other pain remedies. Iíll check out the creams. Iíve pack works a little but you can only apply it for thirty mins. Once itís off the pain returned. Gguerra I will check out pt exercises on YouTube because pt is expensive for the amount of time I will need it.
And
Iím pretty sad that I canít lift with my upper body now. My muscles arenít as hard as they used to be and after two years I got pretty ripped. I know that once Iím cleared to train I can work my way back but thatís what Iíll have to do start over again and that sucks! Lifting is my hobby it gives me enjoyment and doing just cardio at the gym is boring and unfulfilling to me. Just venting my frustration.

Old Today, 07:16 AM

385 posts, read 134,327 times
I am having the same issue with right shoulder pain... top of shoulder, into clavicle, around back and into scapula. Started a year ago when dragging a canoe through a creek bed, worsened with lots of dance training and lifting weights. Now unable to do much bending or lifting. I am scheduled for PT in several weeks (soonest I can get in with a PT that specializes in dance and orthopedic issues). I wish that were my only strain but nope, shin splints, tailbone pain, and right metatarsal strain too. I am trying to avoid pain killers of any kind except have been using Topricin cream along with ice and heat but it doesn't do much. Ice helps the shin splints at least. When I am absolutely desperate have been taking Ibuprofen but my stomach is VERY sensitive to drugs of any kind.

Since I have a sort of exercise addiction this has been VERY hard for me, but has forced me to slow down considerably and rest more. I find that if I can still move in some gentle way (cycling without resistance, light stretching, core work etc) it keeps my body limber and in less pain than complete rest. But getting more sleep at night is what seems to help the most. As long as I don't sleep on my right side...

Old Today, 07:22 AM

354 posts, read 141,977 times
I was hoping to hear from you and see if you found something that works for you. I know that this setback is very discouraging. However, keep in mind that our bodies are resilient but also at the same time, fragile. If you are active you are going to always be at risk for an injury. You will recover from this. At the very least, you know that your shoulders are prone to issues and with that in mind, you can build your program around that. Stay positive and look forward to the time you will be able to do upper body work again. After my torn cuffs (both sides), I have competed for a number of years in fitness competitions (national level) so obviously I got around the issues without surgery and could continue to train. They still flare up and I am hyper aware. Achilles was a bit different. 3 surgeries (haglunds deformity - had to have achilles repair (one ruptured achilles) and the calcium bumps removed) I am back to running and have done some half marathons in between.

People always get on my case for my past injuries but I remind them that you can either choose to not exercise and have the likelihood of heart disease, lung issues, high blood pressure and other health issues or exercise and have the likelihood of injury or joint issues. But with the exercise you have a much improved quality of life. As with everything, there are always set backs to overcome.

Hang in there, think positive, plan your comeback and get well!

Old Today, 11:23 AM

425 posts, read 894,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
The topic about overusage of ibuprofen scares me, but I have no choice but to take it.

I've torn my rotator cuff and the pain is excruitiating, particularly at night. It wakes me up and I'm never comfortable. I'm very miserable during the painful episodes, that happen randomly but always seem to pick up at night. I'm going to do PT soon, but this is a long, painful journey to healing.

Naproxen sodium doesn't work. Tylenol absolutely doesn't work. The only OTC medication that does anything is ibuprofen and even that doesn't give me relief all of the time. My dr. suggested that I do "three days on and three days off" with ibuprofen, but lately I've found myself doing it many days in a row. basically more "on days" than "off".

Anything else you can recommend to help with this pain? Maybe I need to ask the dr. for something stronger?
I've had about 8 rotator cuff surgeries. If you truly tore your rotator cuff there is no medicine that will help you permanently.

YOU NEED SURGERY. There is no easy way around this. Make sure you find a really good orthopedic doctor and get the surgery. In three months you'll be good as it was prior to the tear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness