Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 12:23 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
The topic about overusage of ibuprofen scares me, but I have no choice but to take it.

I've torn my rotator cuff and the pain is excruitiating, particularly at night. It wakes me up and I'm never comfortable. I'm very miserable during the painful episodes, that happen randomly but always seem to pick up at night. I'm going to do PT soon, but this is a long, painful journey to healing.

Naproxen sodium doesn't work. Tylenol absolutely doesn't work. The only OTC medication that does anything is ibuprofen and even that doesn't give me relief all of the time. My dr. suggested that I do "three days on and three days off" with ibuprofen, but lately I've found myself doing it many days in a row. basically more "on days" than "off".

Anything else you can recommend to help with this pain? Maybe I need to ask the dr. for something stronger?
Just wondering if you might get at least some relief by icing the area ( and resting it, of course), or are you already doing that?

I sometimes get a flareup of shoulder bursitus, which can be intensely painful but not sure how it compares to the pain of a torn rotator cuff- that might be worse. I find that the roll on/rub on gels such as Cryoderm or other antiinflammatory gels help with the bursitis pain, if only by distracting from that pain with the cool tingly feeling they impart when rubbed over the affected area.

Can you use a sling or something similar to support your shoulder some of the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 02:12 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
I tore my rotator cuff and I went to my orthopedist who gave me a shot of cortisone. I did 4 weeks of physical therapy for. It is fine now.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:31 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I had a torn rotator cuff some time back. I did not seek treatment for it. I fell off of a motorcycle. It took about a year and a half to get better on it's own. I didn't take any pills for it. I used topical treatments such as Aspercreme and a TENS electronic massager when I needed it. I also didn't pay for PT as it was $90 an hour out of pocket. I figured I could just do the exercises on my own. My insurance was and still is lousy so it wasn't covered. Youtube or just google, you should be able to find some information on the PT.
The OP is very active. I doubt she wants to wait 18 months to get better! Analgesic creams definitely help though. PT is designed to help you learn to do exercises at home, so hopefully the OP will do well and be able to do a home program without too many visits. However a good PT/OT helps with form to ensure you will not injure yourself further with poor form or overexertion.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:51 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I keep thinking of buying an organic chicken and boiling it for 2 hrs or so in at least a qt of CLEAN water, not tap and then storing some of the broth in jars and freezing and then there is some nice chicken for future eating and snacks (can be stored too in freezer)_ A friend does this often but only organic. I may buy one today, will check prices. The ideal would be if one raised their own chickens or had friends who do...talk about ideal. Eggs too.

Jamin check out Harris Teeter if you have them near you. I got a whole organic chicken (4.4 lbs) for 6.57 yesterday. I do just that and also do it with turkey which is often even cheaper especially after holidays. I buy them in bulk when on sale like that and put them in the freezer until I’m ready to cook.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:15 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,516 times
Those lidocaine-infused patches work well for me.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:52 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
I have a TENS unit in each of our suitcases as well as several around the house from the good old days when I sold them

A TENS unit can work wonders on a frozen rotator

But a simple question first...Have you been to your doctor????

Old 12-18-2018, 07:12 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Maybe try Bengay or similar.

Direct application of ice might take away some of the pain.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:52 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I tore mine (weight training) about 4 years ago. Excrutiating pain for several months. I took no pain killers, got acupuncture and used tons of "Icy Hot" and Tiger Balm (that stuff REALLY helps!) You absolutely MUST be careful not to aggravate it by doing too much too soon! I thought when the really bad part of the pain was gone that I could do more stuff so I ended up re-aggravating it. Once I stopped doing everything, it got better. Still have slightly limited range of motion but mostly OK. Overall it took nearly 3 years for it to be completely OK. I am active, but no longer do any "heavy" (for me) weight training. Absolutely NOTHING and I mean NOTHING "over the head"!!! I also cannot do anything like flies where my shoulders face inwards. Good luck - it just takes time.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:22 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,727,639 times
Similar issues – same pain. I had an impingement in the shoulder. Mine led to a frozen shoulder, as it was just too much effort and pain to move it. That happens rather quickly. NSAIDs worked for a bit, but never at night.

Had the shots but was limited to 3, as more than that could damage the area, as suggested by another poster. Beware a Doc that wants to just keep giving you the shots. Went the tramadol route. Originally told that it wasn’t addictive and non-narcotic, but narcotic-like. Only to discover it is in fact addictive, as it is also an anti-depressant you begin to enjoy the euphoria it causes…be very cautious using it long term.
I also went the Voltarin route, but that only helped during the day and not the night pain.

Oddly enough, my relief came from essential oils. I’m not normally a holistic type person, I’m all for better living through medicine yada yada. But someone suggested Copaiba oil. A little of that rubbed on at night before I went to bed and I was able to sleep through the night. I then began a home PT program – anything to avoid surgery which was my next step. I went from having a completely frozen shoulder – think not being able to go through a drive through, as I couldn’t reach with my left arm – to almost 100 mobility. Not saying it will work…but a nice painless thing to try.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:23 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I have a TENS unit in each of our suitcases as well as several around the house from the good old days when I sold them

A TENS unit can work wonders on a frozen rotator

But a simple question first...Have you been to your doctor????
I have a Tens and I'll give it to anyone who wants it. Does nothing, unless one spends $1000's for a Tens Machine as found in many doctor's offices/chiro offices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness