U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 08:26 PM

13,913 posts, read 7,520,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
When I was shopping for a new mattress about 10 yrs ago I tested a temperpedic since I heard such great things about it. It just felt too firm for my body and I have a long history of OA and back issues...

So I've had great sleep on a waterbed earlier in my life and didn't want to mess with water again, so ended up with a Sleep No. (sleeping on air) and it's the BEST and I sleep 8-10 hrs nightly and it has not cured my issues but I sleep and am not worse that's for sure. When it's feeling a little too soft, I pump it up with a little more air...so simple and I highly recommend it and have some friends who have the Sleep No. too and love it.

Just a side note, I love sales and could only sell something that feels right to me, but in my retired years if I wanted to go to work again, it would be in a Sleep No. store.

OP: Hope you find your solution. I got the bare bones SLeep No as I didn't want to spend 1000's....
OMG - something we have in common! I guess you've since switched to air, but I've slept on a waterbed since college! They have changed a lot over the years - the earliest had no baffles at all...my current is composed of smaller water-filled segments so there is little movement at all but the feeling of water providing the support is still there.

I love my waterbed and will really be bummed if there comes a time that I can't replace it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 09:17 PM

20,227 posts, read 6,719,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
OMG - something we have in common! I guess you've since switched to air, but I've slept on a waterbed since college! They have changed a lot over the years - the earliest had no baffles at all...my current is composed of smaller water-filled segments so there is little movement at all but the feeling of water providing the support is still there.

I love my waterbed and will really be bummed if there comes a time that I can't replace it.
My last waterbed had the baffles and with moves I was making, emptying water etc, got sick of doing that so on one of my last moves filled the baffles with air and then finally found the Sleep No and no more filling, emptying and the Sleep No was the answer. I've had it about 10 yrs. Renee I may be older, but I'm a pretty young thinker.

Just thinking how I fell in love with the waterbed, On a business trip back when I was probably 40 maybe 39, I was checking into a hotel in B.C. and I was late getting there and the only rooms they had left had a waterbed...I said "oh no, what if I can't sleep on it, do I get up at 3am to change rooms or what"...my back was killing me and I needed to get to sleep. So I took the room and when I woke up the next morning my back had never felt better...that was the beginning of my trip into the waterbed world...when I got back home I started to search for a waterbed for home. There are no accidents, maybe. Brings back a lot of good memories.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 12-19-2018 at 09:52 PM..

Old 12-19-2018, 10:30 PM

861 posts, read 467,986 times
We bought a Tempurpedic and sent it back after a month. I was in such pain every morning as the bed just felt so hard on my hips and ribs. Went with a standard Beauty Rest and was in heaven. But now (after some years) we are looking into a Sleep Number. So no, you aren't the only one who cannot take a Tempurpedic.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:48 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,554,676 times
OP, I'm with you on the back pain from a Tempurpedic. Initially, it was fine, would sleep like a log, but after a couple of years it got to be excruciating just trying to sleep more than 6.5 hours. Hip pain was bad, but if I woke up and was on my back it was even worse.

The mattress has been relegated to the guest room.

I know part of the problem is me and that I'm not far from osteoporosis, but still.. a super high end mattress shouldn't be the cause of my pain!

Old 12-19-2018, 11:03 PM

6,244 posts, read 18,346,783 times
I love my Sleep Number bed. Buy the cheapest model and get it when they have a sale. Get the dual and you can each customize your individual firmness, or lack there of. We bought one first 15 years ago and I replaced it after my late husband died on it. I'll never buy another brand.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
OP, I'm with you on the back pain from a Tempurpedic. Initially, it was fine, would sleep like a log, but after a couple of years it got to be excruciating just trying to sleep more than 6.5 hours. Hip pain was bad, but if I woke up and was on my back it was even worse.

The mattress has been relegated to the guest room.

I know part of the problem is me and that I'm not far from osteoporosis, but still.. a super high end mattress shouldn't be the cause of my pain!
As I see it, there isn't any "give" with the temperpedic. The body stays stiff. I guess those who say they can sleep on the hard floor would do fine.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I love my Sleep Number bed. Buy the cheapest model and get it when they have a sale. Get the dual and you can each customize your individual firmness, or lack there of. We bought one first 15 years ago and I replaced it after my late husband died on it. I'll never buy another brand.
If and when mine goes, another Sleep No for me too...no bells and whistles, I put my own added pads on top of mattress for more softness. The more you get on it, the more the price.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:28 PM

3,316 posts, read 1,322,539 times
I get all stiff if the mattress is too hard.

We had a great queen sleep number-style airbed for a decade, then replaced it with a similar king airbed from a different manufacturer. Despite the dual controls, I needed two foam eggcrate pads to make it comfortable.

Loved the queen, hated the king, so they aren't all the same.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:27 AM

350 posts, read 265,708 times
I had occasional back/shoulder/neck issues when I "slept wrong" on my foam mattress. When it got really hot in the summer, to save on AC bills, I started sleeping on the floor (carpeted), since the mattress holds heat. I discovered all my sleep issues vanished. It's been 3 years now and I always sleep on the floor on a $30 camping mat. Eventually I plan to get a tatomi bed & mat.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:41 AM

13,913 posts, read 7,520,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My last waterbed had the baffles and with moves I was making, emptying water etc, got sick of doing that so on one of my last moves filled the baffles with air and then finally found the Sleep No and no more filling, emptying and the Sleep No was the answer. I've had it about 10 yrs. Renee I may be older, but I'm a pretty young thinker.

Just thinking how I fell in love with the waterbed, On a business trip back when I was probably 40 maybe 39, I was checking into a hotel in B.C. and I was late getting there and the only rooms they had left had a waterbed...I said "oh no, what if I can't sleep on it, do I get up at 3am to change rooms or what"...my back was killing me and I needed to get to sleep. So I took the room and when I woke up the next morning my back had never felt better...that was the beginning of my trip into the waterbed world...when I got back home I started to search for a waterbed for home. There are no accidents, maybe. Brings back a lot of good memories.
They are a royal pain to move...I did it at least half a dozen times which was crazy - the old style mattress in a wooden frame you had to put together every time.

But I think they really can be good for your back and you can crank up the heat if you want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness