U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 12:06 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,013,609 times

Advertisements

I have the most comfortable bed you could ever buy, just a couple of thin mats on the floor. Altogether about $50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 02:28 PM

6,249 posts, read 18,374,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I have the most comfortable bed you could ever buy, just a couple of thin mats on the floor. Altogether about $50.
You are not the first to post the same results. I'd have a hard time getting up and down but I'd try it if I could figure out a solution to that for this 50+ yo body.

Old 12-30-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
You are not the first to post the same results. I'd have a hard time getting up and down but I'd try it if I could figure out a solution to that for this 50+ yo body.
I am 66. You might have to get used to it, but I swear it is the most perfectly comfortable bed I ever slept on. I think maybe because it's stable, there is none of the rocking you get with a normal bed.

I have done yoga all my life, so getting up from the floor is easy. Try doing yoga, and gradually learn to get up from the floor.

I don't wake up stiff, have minimal spine problems. And I've had the same mats for years and they didn't wear out yet. If they ever do wear out, oh well just another $50 to replace them.

I use 2 pillows though, not just one.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:07 PM

494 posts, read 171,246 times
I realised how my old inner spring mattress was causing me to wake up with aching joints after we had a month in China last year. We were staying at local hotels and the mattresses are very very firm by western standards. No pain when waking up there but when I got home the pain returned. We got a Tempur firm mattress and very firm it is! Also cost thousands. I cannot in honesty say it is comfortable but it is certainly better for my specific problems. When we had seven weeks in the US and Canada a few months ago we found the mattresses to be very soft and my pain returned. So definitely very firm mattresses for me.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:21 PM

The firmest mattress you can get is the floor. People seem to think the more money you spend the more comfortable bed you will get.

I swear my "bed" is the most comfortable, even if it's the cheapest.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:23 PM

5,331 posts, read 3,801,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Seven years ago, we bought a Tempurpedic Cloud bed ($5K) because we kept reading that it was the best, since Hubbie was recovering from spinal surgery due to degenerative disc disease.

We found it uncomfortable, but again was told (and read) that since it was a solid core mattress, as opposed to an inner spring mattress, we would have to get "use to it". We also didn't like the smell of the outgassing but read that the smell goes away pretty quickly.

Over the years my lower back was hurting more and more, to the point where I had trouble getting out of bed and I couldn't stand up and "walked" hunched over with my hands on the mattress or furniture in order to move. I was talking narcotic pain meds. I also, over the years, was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and have daily congestion, coughing, itchy eyes, etc.

Hubbie also always hated the bed and finds it uncomfortable.

Thinking the congestion was from dust mites, we bought the "best" (according to online reviews) mattress envelope for the bed and pillows. It didn't change anything.

Two weeks ago, I finally gave up and I went to my husband's spinal surgeon because of the pain and he ordered an MRI to see what was going on.

In the mean time ( based on a hunch), about 8 days ago I moved into the guest bedroom and slept on our old (about 20 yrs old) inner spring mattress, and behold...the first morning, I was stiff but no pain. Since then I slept there and altho I am slightly stiff, I really have no bad pain and I can stand up straight right out of bed. Also, tho I still have some nasal congestion, and the other symptoms, they all are also a little better.

I have an appointment tomorrow (12/20) with the spinal surgeon to go over the MRI. My guess it will just show some arthritis (I'm 66 in 3 weeks) and nothing more.

1......Does anyone else have problems with Tempurpedic beds?

We are thinking of getting rid of the bed and getting an organic bed, thinking it will also help with the congestion, etc.

2.....Did anyone ever buy an organic bed and find it helped whatever was wrong with them?

3.....What brand organic bed did you buy?

4.....What type of organic bed did you buy: latex core or innerspring?

Thank you. All comments welcome.
Everyone has different back problems. I used to wake up with a sore back EVERY morning on a regular mattress. My back pain problems were solved when we bought a Tempurpedic Cloud. If we go away, I have sciatica until I get back home to sleep on our "Cloud" Although it's hot at times if the house is too warm or during warm weather, I'd rather wake up to no back pain.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:24 PM

20,428 posts, read 6,798,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
The firmest mattress you can get is the floor. People seem to think the more money you spend the more comfortable bed you will get.

I swear my "bed" is the most comfortable, even if it's the cheapest.
I'm glad it works for you, some need really firm and many do not. That's the beauty of sleep # one can adjust to firmness. Plus I could never get down or up from the floor at this point in my 80 yrs. Again glad it works for you.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:51 PM

9,967 posts, read 13,448,229 times
After reading all of this I may just go conventional, get an inner spring with a high end gel mattress topper. That's what I do now and it's worked for 2 years.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:58 PM

5,930 posts, read 3,699,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Everyone has different back problems.
True. Different causes, too. Trauma, for example. Some back pain is caused by weak muscles that have lost their tone. At least that was the case for me.

The more regular workouts I did with my trainer, the easier it became to sleep on any kind of mattress.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:54 PM

19,757 posts, read 13,019,367 times
We replaced a fairly old innerspring mattress several years ago with a Sleep Number bed. It was expensive. But sleeping in it helps my aches and pains.

I felt like we would rolling the dice with a Tempurepedic. Some people love them but others never can get used to them.

I do not think an extremely firm mattress is what I need. I like how the sleep number conforms to my body. But I also use a heating pad for my back every night, except for hottest days in summer. The heat helps my sore back without my needing painkillers.

DH controls the firmness he likes, and I control my firmness. We both really like our bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness