Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 08:39 AM

885 posts, read 1,166,120 times

Advertisements

Seven years ago, we bought a Tempurpedic Cloud bed ($5K) because we kept reading that it was the best, since Hubbie was recovering from spinal surgery due to degenerative disc disease.

We found it uncomfortable, but again was told (and read) that since it was a solid core mattress, as opposed to an inner spring mattress, we would have to get "use to it". We also didn't like the smell of the outgassing but read that the smell goes away pretty quickly.

Over the years my lower back was hurting more and more, to the point where I had trouble getting out of bed and I couldn't stand up and "walked" hunched over with my hands on the mattress or furniture in order to move. I was talking narcotic pain meds. I also, over the years, was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and have daily congestion, coughing, itchy eyes, etc.

Hubbie also always hated the bed and finds it uncomfortable.

Thinking the congestion was from dust mites, we bought the "best" (according to online reviews) mattress envelope for the bed and pillows. It didn't change anything.

Two weeks ago, I finally gave up and I went to my husband's spinal surgeon because of the pain and he ordered an MRI to see what was going on.

In the mean time ( based on a hunch), about 8 days ago I moved into the guest bedroom and slept on our old (about 20 yrs old) inner spring mattress, and behold...the first morning, I was stiff but no pain. Since then I slept there and altho I am slightly stiff, I really have no bad pain and I can stand up straight right out of bed. Also, tho I still have some nasal congestion, and the other symptoms, they all are also a little better.

I have an appointment tomorrow (12/20) with the spinal surgeon to go over the MRI. My guess it will just show some arthritis (I'm 66 in 3 weeks) and nothing more.

1......Does anyone else have problems with Tempurpedic beds?

We are thinking of getting rid of the bed and getting an organic bed, thinking it will also help with the congestion, etc.

2.....Did anyone ever buy an organic bed and find it helped whatever was wrong with them?

3.....What brand organic bed did you buy?

4.....What type of organic bed did you buy: latex core or innerspring?

Thank you. All comments welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 08:54 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
My inner spring mattress is just perfect, very firm but not hard, sleeps great. So far I see no reason to change and spend thousands on a mattress.

Anyone have good comments about $5000 mattresses? I think you got taken in...
costing more does not mean better.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:45 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
We have a tempurpedic and we love it, but I think it was around 2K.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-19-2018, 10:04 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
My sister also bought a Tempurpedic for her degenerative disc disease and she loved it.

However, I do believe that everyone is different and that what is good for your body might not be good for someone else. I think that's what makes buying a bed so difficult because you can't really test it out before buying it. Some people prefer firm, some people prefer soft and some people fall in between.

Even with pillows, because I am a stomach sleeper, I am very particular and can only sleep with one pillow. My husband usually sleeps on his back and wants at least three.

If I were you, I would try to find a company that allows you a trial period and actually lives up to it.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:20 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
When I was shopping for a new mattress about 10 yrs ago I tested a temperpedic since I heard such great things about it. It just felt too firm for my body and I have a long history of OA and back issues...

So I've had great sleep on a waterbed earlier in my life and didn't want to mess with water again, so ended up with a Sleep No. (sleeping on air) and it's the BEST and I sleep 8-10 hrs nightly and it has not cured my issues but I sleep and am not worse that's for sure. When it's feeling a little too soft, I pump it up with a little more air...so simple and I highly recommend it and have some friends who have the Sleep No. too and love it.

Just a side note, I love sales and could only sell something that feels right to me, but in my retired years if I wanted to go to work again, it would be in a Sleep No. store.

OP: Hope you find your solution. I got the bare bones SLeep No as I didn't want to spend 1000's....

Old 12-19-2018, 12:08 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
When I bought a solid core mattress, I had to leave it out in the backyard for MONTHS to off-gas, OP. I"m not sure I'd get one again, for that reason.

Too-hard mattresses can be made more comfortable by buying a foam mattress pad, a sort of egg-crate-shaped thing, that you put on top of the mattress. These are available at a wide variety of prices. Macy's has many types on sale, on a regular basis. It's not necessary to pay top dollar for one. Some companies sell them with custom-made covers, but that's not necessary, since you top sheet goes over it, anyway. So you can save some money by not getting one that comes in a cloth cover.

I've found beds at the Marriott hotels to be amazingly comfortable, and they sell them to the public. There are a number of choices. They're pricey, but I sleep so much better on them, I'm considering saving up for one.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:49 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
My sister also bought a Tempurpedic for her degenerative disc disease and she loved it.

However, I do believe that everyone is different and that what is good for your body might not be good for someone else. I think that's what makes buying a bed so difficult because you can't really test it out before buying it. Some people prefer firm, some people prefer soft and some people fall in between.

Even with pillows, because I am a stomach sleeper, I am very particular and can only sleep with one pillow. My husband usually sleeps on his back and wants at least three.

If I were you, I would try to find a company that allows you a trial period and actually lives up to it.
I absolutely agree! We have gone through a couple of very expensive mattresses before we realized that we had different needs from each other. We finally ended up with a split king adjustable bed; I have a tempurpedic, cool gel bed (the smell was gone after only 2 days!) and DH has a sleep number bed. We both have issues: I am an incomplete para, with RA and OA whilst DH has issues stemming from a broken neck (luckily he can walk, but has a lot of pain from C3-T5).

Like city living suggested if you can find a place that will allow a true trial that would be so helpful since we all have different needs.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:57 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
We sleep great on temperpedic in hotels but I'm afraid to pull the trigger and buy one.

They are just stupid expensive. We are looking at $4K+ for a king.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:00 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
I slept on one at a friends house and felt I terribly uncomfortable. Plus, it better do a miracle if I'm spending 5k (which I'm not)!

Old 12-19-2018, 06:16 PM

9,398 posts, read 11,147,212 times
We just dx'd our $1000+ mattress for an Aldi's $225 Huntington Home 10" memory foam mattress.

Yooj improvement! We're both sleeping better, and at that price we can buy one every six months and it's still cheaper than most of the common mattresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness