U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 05:13 PM

22,340 posts, read 7,577,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peester View Post
My partial was in for 14 months and never did feel right. Pain all the time. Doc said to wait, it takes time. Finally went to a different surgeon, he took the partial out and put in a total. 12 months post op it feels like a new knee. Never felt better.
ummm and I had let a partial enter my mind in some weak moments of knee surgery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 05:57 PM

4,913 posts, read 10,863,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
ummm and I had let a partial enter my mind in some weak moments of knee surgery.
Almost no chance you would have ever been a candidate for a partial....

Old 01-05-2019, 09:15 PM

8,878 posts, read 5,983,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

I have this discussion going on another group and a person from the UK posted that they won't do them there unless Serious Pain, claiming too many failures.

Moderator cut: edited out strong political statement

Just like Canada. A friend of mine's mother fell and shattered her hip (or shattered her hip and fell) and mom was placed on surgery waiting list of at least 12 weeks (for a shattered hip!)

Lucky for mom, friend was President of Sisters of Mercy. Friend used her hospital's helicopter to fly mom to Seattle from Vancouver to another Mercy Hosp and surgery was done that same day.

Mom and friend are doing great!

As for TKRs:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles//

Quote:
Conclusions
TKA has been recognized as a successful treatment for knee arthritis that delivers relatively high satisfaction compared to the other surgical treatments from the orthopedic surgeon's perspective. However, it is not uncommon to observe discrepancies in patient-surgeon satisfaction: patients are often less satisfied the outcome than the surgeons expect, suggesting the need to develop more objective patient satisfaction measures. Among various factors that contribute to patient satisfaction, some factors can be managed by the surgeon, which should be improved through continuous research. One of the factors most strongly associated with postoperative satisfaction is patient's expectations: unmet expectations result in dissatisfaction. Therefore, it is important for surgeons to reach an agreement with patients on the possible benefits and risks of TKA through extensive discussion and explanation before surgery in order to reduce the likelihood of patient dissatisfaction.
https://www.webmd.com/pain-managemen...-replacement#1

Quote:
One year after surgery, 95% of the more than 7,000 patients surveyed reported being happy with their new knees.

The study is the largest to examine satisfaction with total knee replacement surgery among patients treated over the last decade, orthopaedic surgeon and study researcher David Christopher Ayers, MD, of the University of Massachusetts Medical School tells WebMD.

Last edited by in_newengland; 01-05-2019 at 09:42 PM..

Old 01-05-2019, 09:22 PM

8,878 posts, read 5,983,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I am posting a link and snippet to an interesting article that is germain to this thread.

I am in no way trying to encourage/discourage anyone from having knee-replacement surgery......just putting this article up as a something that may give whomever reads it a different perspective on the issue: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/aging...regret-n953931

Research suggests that up to one-third of those who have knees replaced continue to experience chronic pain, while 1 in 5 are dissatisfied with the results. A study published in 2017 in the BMJ found that knee replacement had “minimal effects on quality of life,” especially for patients with less severe arthritis.
20% is way too high. It is +/- 5%, but what do you expect from fake news???

See the research I posted above

Old 01-06-2019, 03:49 AM

477 posts, read 593,745 times
mike1003, thanks for posting some positive articles. I think that the majority of my issues are due to degenerative arthritic changes, which seem to be deteriorating rapidly. I'm only 54 now but I would not be surprised at all if I need a TKR before I'm 60.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:02 AM

12,757 posts, read 15,152,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post

I'm more concerned now about this possible back surgery than I am about a simple TKR.
I have friends who've had TKR's and some of them absolutely say they'd never get the other knee done. Apparently the pain afterwords is incredibly bad.
The back surgeries I've had so far (in my opinion) weren't as bad...(multi level laminectomy... foraminotomy, discectomies..)
I still managed to get chores done starting the day I got home...approx 3 days later.
My cousin, my brother in law, my father in law all had knee replacements. My father said it (the pain)was worse than the total hip replacement he'd had previous.

I can understand why when I see one done on you tube.....wow!!!
I don't think total knee replacements are that "simple".
Just make sure you don't leave the hospital until you've got a few weeks worth of really GOOD pain killers.
Best of luck...hope you have a speedy recovery, from what ever surgery you have.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:29 AM

6,825 posts, read 4,190,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
Please share some of the changes that you made to remedy the pain.
I don't think the person you were responding to ever answered that. But I'll share some of the things I do to cope with knee pain.

1. Lose weight. Last year I lost 25 lbs without trying to diet. My knee pain disappeared.

2. Physical therapy. So I lost the weight and then it came back. Like weight so often does, it brought friends. I had a list of knee reinforcement exercises ("knee-hab") and my trainer helped me do them.

3. Hot or cold therapy. I find heat works better for me, preferably soaking in a tub full of water as hot as I can stand it. Because of the arthritic damage to your spine, you may not want to do that. I find ice packs are effective on my lower back.

4. Changing the way I walk. This is probably because of the kind of damage done to my knee and in what area, but if I consciously take much longer strides than normal, the pain is considerably less, almost none at all.

5. Using a roller. The connective tissue around the knee and the layer of tissue (fascia) that covers muscles can become stiff and inflexible, which pulls on your knee and causes pain. Using a foam roller all around the knee (except on bone) for myofascial release can be helpful.

6. Rest.

I am sorry to hear your neurosurgeon is recommending a complex facet fusion procedure.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:10 AM

For me I have such a block about doing this again as with the THR my issues started to rear their ugly heads 5 months post op. First 5 months the body was healing from surgery as I see it and then the job of the body adjusting to the new metal and plastic parts.

I have a friend who is going for a revision and it's only a couple yrs with TKR and it's nothing but misery for him so here he goes again more surgery more trauma to the body.

The more active in our lives I think the more damage being done. MY parents lived into 90's and just did regular life and no replacements and yes they had their limps but no complaints as I'm living with now. And yes I worked out a lot and danced a LOT. Yes, BD, I mentioned my parents.

All my relatives in their generation just did regular life and no replacements and lived long lives..

We're doing it to ourselves.

I've been getting some relief with heat being used on the inside of my knees, gets blood flowing and loosens the tight muscles.

Arthritis: Heat wins for arthritis and injuries that linger more than six weeks. “Patients with more chronic osteoarthritis usually feel better with heat,” says rheumatologist Linda Mileti, MD. But for acute gout flares, she favors ice.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:23 AM

I'd like to be a fly on the wall of some ortho surgeon walls to hear the stories from their patients coming in with their pain issues after the major surgeries. The thing is so MUCH happens months out after surgery and by then the patient is discharged so on their own. And then more expense on more consults.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:55 AM

3,289 posts, read 1,420,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I have friends who've had TKR's and some of them absolutely say they'd never get the other knee done. Apparently the pain afterwords is incredibly bad.
The back surgeries I've had so far (in my opinion) weren't as bad...(multi level laminectomy... foraminotomy, discectomies..)
I still managed to get chores done starting the day I got home...approx 3 days later.
My cousin, my brother in law, my father in law all had knee replacements. My father said it (the pain)was worse than the total hip replacement he'd had previous.

I can understand why when I see one done on you tube.....wow!!!
I don't think total knee replacements are that "simple".
Just make sure you don't leave the hospital until you've got a few weeks worth of really GOOD pain killers.
Best of luck...hope you have a speedy recovery, from what ever surgery you have.
That's too bad! I know some patients have experienced lots of pain after. I've had both knees replaced and one hip: not any pain whatsoever after the procedures. I still have my pain meds and parcel them out for occasional relaxation.

The rehab on knees is arduous, though. So I'm glad I had both done at the same time, though now I wonder if I really needed it. They are still weak, but never have been painful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or