Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 06:05 AM

774 posts, read 1,048,337 times

Advertisements

Right now I'm still recovering from my second left knee surgery in less than a year and a half.

The first surgery was in June 2017. The initial diagnosis was a medial meniscus tear (based on an MRI). During the surgery they discovered a tear in the lateral meniscus as well. The MRI also showed mucoid degeneration of the ACL. They looked at the ACL during the surgery but said it was ok. They also diagnised me as having some grade 1 chondromalacia of the patella and some grade 1 chondromalacia of the trochlea, as well as some grade 2 chondromalacia of the femoral condyle.

Fast forward to this year. My left knee started bothering me again in February/March. I tried cortisone and synvisc injections but nothing helped. Another MRI in September showed tears in the medial and lateral menisci again. The specific diagnosis from the MRI was:
  • Complex nondisplaced tear at the junction of the posterior horn and body of the medial meniscus
  • Nondisplaced tear involving the anterior horn of the lateral meniscus near its root attachment.
  • Mild tricompartmental chondromalacia with small focal high-grade chondral defect at the medial patellar facet with small underlying subchondral cyst.
  • Mild to moderate joint effusion.
  • Moderate to severe mucoid degeneration of the ACL fibers which otherwise intact.

The second surgery was in October. Along with fixing the menisci tears, this time they also debrided the ACL. The surgical findings were:
  • Plica suprapatella pouch
  • Grade 3 chondromalacia of the lateral patellar facet
  • Grade 3 chondromalacia of the trochlea
  • Degenerative fraying of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus.
  • Degenerative fraying of anterior horn of medial meniscus
  • Degenerative fraying of anterior horn of lateral meniscus

The recovery from the second surgery has been harder than the first. After the first surgery the knee felt stiff for a while but it didn't really hurt anymore. After he second surgery it was still swollen and painful until the last couple of weeks. It still bothers me occasionally but it has gotten better.

I've been told by an orthopedic surgeon and a physical therapist that eventually I'll need a knee replacement. I'm not there yet, but the rapid deterioration of my knee makes me think that it will need to happen sooner rather than later. I've read most of the threads on TKR, along with searching the web, and I'm ok with it if its likely to help. So here's the question: when did you (or your doctor) decide that enough was enough and it was time for the TKR?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 08:22 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Second opinion with orthopedic who specializes in knee issues. ASAP.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:10 AM

708 posts, read 1,295,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
Right now I'm still recovering from my second left knee surgery in less than a year and a half.

The first surgery was in June 2017. The initial diagnosis was a medial meniscus tear (based on an MRI). During the surgery they discovered a tear in the lateral meniscus as well. The MRI also showed mucoid degeneration of the ACL. They looked at the ACL during the surgery but said it was ok. They also diagnised me as having some grade 1 chondromalacia of the patella and some grade 1 chondromalacia of the trochlea, as well as some grade 2 chondromalacia of the femoral condyle.

Fast forward to this year. My left knee started bothering me again in February/March. I tried cortisone and synvisc injections but nothing helped. Another MRI in September showed tears in the medial and lateral menisci again. The specific diagnosis from the MRI was:
  • Complex nondisplaced tear at the junction of the posterior horn and body of the medial meniscus
  • Nondisplaced tear involving the anterior horn of the lateral meniscus near its root attachment.
  • Mild tricompartmental chondromalacia with small focal high-grade chondral defect at the medial patellar facet with small underlying subchondral cyst.
  • Mild to moderate joint effusion.
  • Moderate to severe mucoid degeneration of the ACL fibers which otherwise intact.

The second surgery was in October. Along with fixing the menisci tears, this time they also debrided the ACL. The surgical findings were:
  • Plica suprapatella pouch
  • Grade 3 chondromalacia of the lateral patellar facet
  • Grade 3 chondromalacia of the trochlea
  • Degenerative fraying of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus.
  • Degenerative fraying of anterior horn of medial meniscus
  • Degenerative fraying of anterior horn of lateral meniscus

The recovery from the second surgery has been harder than the first. After the first surgery the knee felt stiff for a while but it didn't really hurt anymore. After he second surgery it was still swollen and painful until the last couple of weeks. It still bothers me occasionally but it has gotten better.

I've been told by an orthopedic surgeon and a physical therapist that eventually I'll need a knee replacement. I'm not there yet, but the rapid deterioration of my knee makes me think that it will need to happen sooner rather than later. I've read most of the threads on TKR, along with searching the web, and I'm ok with it if its likely to help. So here's the question: when did you (or your doctor) decide that enough was enough and it was time for the TKR?
when you can't walk to the corner of your block without intense pain, it's time for a knee replacement. Been there.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:01 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
I was having knee pain at about the age of 30. Went to see a doctor, he took xrays and showed them to me.......the cartilage was basically gone in both knees.

Well, that was a long time ago and I still have my "original equipment". So many changes I have made, things I now do, all to remedy the pain and dysfunction of my creaky body. I can function quite normally now, my pain is, for the most part, not that big of a deal.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I was having knee pain at about the age of 30. Went to see a doctor, he took xrays and showed them to me.......the cartilage was basically gone in both knees.

Well, that was a long time ago and I still have my "original equipment". So many changes I have made, things I now do, all to remedy the pain and dysfunction of my creaky body. I can function quite normally now, my pain is, for the most part, not that big of a deal.
Please share some of the changes that you made to remedy the pain.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:53 AM

I probably should have mentioned that I also have back issues (degenerative discs, disc space narrowing and desiccation, various bulges and protrusions, and worsening scoliosis) which I'm sure have some affect on my knee issues.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:36 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,375,112 times
Default Are you a retired hockey player??

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
I probably should have mentioned that I also have back issues (degenerative discs, disc space narrowing and desiccation, various bulges and protrusions, and worsening scoliosis) which I'm sure have some affect on my knee issues.
Mom gets a shot of chicken parts in her knee. At 92.
The hockey players I know all have issues like this and go to sports medicine professionals that specialize in athletic injuries.

But you don't mention the two critical pieces: your age, and your weight.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:40 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,073,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
when you can't walk to the corner of your block without intense pain, it's time for a knee replacement. Been there.

This ^^^

You will know when it is time. You will be begging your doctor to get it done ASAP. Any concerns or hesitation will be gone and you will be pleading to stop the pain by replacing the knee.

Three years in. Works great. Back to skiing the steep and deep.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
But you don't mention the two critical pieces: your age, and your weight.
54, 175 (and 5'11")

Old 12-28-2018, 10:30 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,037,035 times
Think carefully about knee replacements:

https://khn.org/news/up-to-a-third-o...in-and-regret/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness