Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 06:48 PM

5,843 posts, read 6,122,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
MPH is a graduate degree that a lot of universities offer. You don't have to be a doctor to have it. Not sure what value it adds to this doctor's practice.
I know quite a few physicians who have other health related advanced degrees and they usually come about it in a few ways. I ran into all these types when I was in grad school for my MHA.

1. They attend a medical school that allows for dual degree programs like MD/MHA or MD/MPH and obtain both degrees at the same time. Usually, these students tend to be individuals who want to practice in a specialty and/or an area where a Public Health background is very helpful, like Infectious Disease, Tropical Medicine, practicing Internationally or in an underserved area etc.

2. They have practiced medicine for a while and go back through Executive programs (some of which are targeted specifically to physicians) to obtain an MHA or MBA with intent to transition into an administrative role.

3. They are practicing physicians who just want to have a better understanding of the economic, business and/or public health aspects of their industry.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 01-01-2019 at 08:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 08:08 PM

17,386 posts, read 13,117,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Can you explain a "form and function bent" please ? I am not sure I want an osteopathic doctor, but want more information if anyone can recommend the practice of osteopathy, and why. thx
FYI, I only see MDs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteopathy

https://medical-dictionary.thefreedi...com/osteopathy

Old 01-01-2019, 08:29 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,448,590 times
Historically, DO were considered more holistic and looked at the body as a whole. A DO and MR take all of the same classes and the way they practice is more or less the same these days.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:16 AM

11,154 posts, read 15,927,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
The doctors business card has their first name, middle initial, last name and then:
DO, MPH

What do those designate.

It's a friends doctor so we can not ask the doctor and the patient does not want to ask either.
Anyone know what the letters mean?
Yes, but you could have asked Dr. Google and he would have been more than happy to provide you with your answer.

LMGTFY

Old 01-02-2019, 05:41 AM

7,136 posts, read 4,979,325 times
Quote:
. Not sure what value it adds to this doctor's practice.

He's looking ahead to the day when we have socialized medicine-- he'll be made a boss because he already knows how to fill out all the forms.

Quote:
Can you explain a "form and function bent" please ? I am not sure I want an osteopathic doctor, but want more information if anyone can recommend the practice of osteopathy, and why. thx

Originally the DO schools were oriented towards physical medicine including heavy emphasis on body manipulations (without the quackery of chiropracty). They gradually included more mainstream medicine outlook and by ~ 35 or 40 y/a DO school was essentially the same as traditional med school. DOs are allowed to sit for MD specialty board certification after completing an accredited training program.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:42 AM

45,011 posts, read 59,991,288 times
The medical practice where I've been a patient for thirty five years has a mixture of MDs and DOs. I think it's four of the former and two of the latter.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:50 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,314,594 times
Quote:
It practically means nothing anymore. They still take the coursework in school but most do not "practice osteopathy."

Most DOs practice like MDs. They work alongside each other. Half of the doctors in my ED are DOs. My PCP is one as well.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:15 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,054,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
It practically means nothing anymore. They still take the coursework in school but most do not "practice osteopathy."

Most DOs practice like MDs. They work alongside each other. Half of the doctors in my ED are DOs. My PCP is one as well.
Yep. There used to be more of a clear distinction, but at this point, there's really no difference. I work in a respiratory hospital, so nothing to do with bones and osteopathic manipulation and we have DOs here specializing in lung diseases.

As for the MPH, I'm a lawyer rather than a doctor and I have an MPH. Honestly, it was the most interesting educational program I've taken. I had plenty of MDs in my program and I think many of them did it for similar reasons - exposure to different aspects of medicine and the healthcare system than you get in med school. More general knowledge than something specifically related to the daily practice of an internal medicine doc.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:21 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,225,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post

Yup, exactly. ...they took the courses in bones and structure and can fix many things, like a PT or Chiro....but my Dermatologist is a DO....he has never adjusted a neck in his life, I bet!

Good to note they can prescribe meds as any MD.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:28 AM

13,639 posts, read 12,281,692 times
Quote:
MPH is a graduate degree that a lot of universities offer. You don't have to be a doctor to have it. Not sure what value it adds to this doctor's practice.
An understanding of Public Health will help in treating problems that have a public health component. STI's, Obesity's many different complications, etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Of more importance is whether he/she is board certified. I suspect not or they would have that designation after their name rather than the MPH
I've never seen certification credentials after a Doc advertised unless I looked online or at an extensive biography listed somewhere. I always assumed that they couldn't very well practice if they weren't board certified.
Quote:
Traditionally they encompassed a more "wholistic" view of the body but these days they're pretty similar to MD's. I don't think I'd have any compunction about either one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness