U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM

287 posts, read 143,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Why did your doctor order the tests?
Because I was feeling tired all the time. But the doctor had told me he thinks its unrelated to the blood test results I got because he claimed “your iron reserves are in good range” just worrying me because it seems abnormal to have that amount of iron in my blood (even if the iron in my reserves is perfect amount)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM

21,879 posts, read 26,685,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale12 View Post
The average numbers are 10.6 to 23.8 and mine is at 29.1 however my ferritin levels are in normal range.. I am a 24 year old male.
After checking a few places on the internet those figures for the iron do not look right. What units are being used?

Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM

Quote:
After checking a few places on the internet those figures for the iron do not look right. What units are being used?
umol/L

Thats what is written as the unit of messure exactly.

Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM

Quote:
umol/L

Thats what is written as the unit of messure exactly.
The range in this article would come out a bit higher than that given by your lab.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322083.php

Total serum iron 76 to 198 mcg/dL in men translates to 13.6 to 35.4 µmol/L

For Quest, one of the big national labs, the range is 50 to 195 mcg/dL or 9 to 34.9 µmol/L

Iron, Total (571)

Iron Total ug/dL umol/L Unit Conversion -- EndMemo

I am not convinced your serum iron is elevated.

I would wait a few weeks and retest with one of the big commercial labs.

Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM

Quote:
The range in this article would come out a bit higher than that given by your lab.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322083.php

Total serum iron 76 to 198 mcg/dL in men translates to 13.6 to 35.4 µmol/L

For Quest, one of the big national labs, the range is 50 to 195 mcg/dL or 9 to 34.9 µmol/L

Iron, Total (571)

Iron Total ug/dL umol/L Unit Conversion -- EndMemo

I am not convinced your serum iron is elevated.

I would wait a few weeks and retest with one of the big commercial labs.
This actually makes me feel a lot better ! So I really should not worry at all?

Old Yesterday, 10:20 PM

Quote:
This actually makes me feel a lot better ! So I really should not worry at all?
Good! Just retest in a few weeks with one of the big labs.

Old Yesterday, 11:27 PM

3,334 posts, read 1,329,662 times
Your doctor said it was fine but you still worried. A stranger on the internet tells you you're fine, and you're relieved. Do you see a problem here?

Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Your doctor said it was fine but you still worried. A stranger on the internet tells you you're fine, and you're relieved. Do you see a problem here?
Nope, was never really good with problem solving in math class, gonna need my cheat sheet to solve this one!

Old Today, 06:14 AM

2,012 posts, read 727,535 times
First, you need to realize what a "normal range" for a lab test tells you.

These ranges are determined by taking a large number of healthy people and plotting out the lab values for their tests-- you usually get a "bell-shaped curve." Normal is defined as anything within 2 St Dev. from the mean value. Being "abnormal" ie- more than 2 SD from the mean doesn't necessarily mean you are sick. Eg- being 7 ft tall is by definition abnormal, but some of the healthiest athletes in the world are 7 ft tall.

Your ferritin level is normal, therefore your total body iron stores are probably normal.

Iron in your blood is carried by a protein called transferrin. A TIBC test would indirectly measure your transferrin level. If it's high, that would explain your high serum Fe...Your transferrin level might just be "7 ft tall" so to speak, or it may have gone up as a response to some condition not even related to the blood or Fe issues, or in response to healing from some muscle injury (including work or working out hard.)

As others said-- just repeat the test in a few weeks or months (including TIBC). NEVER take any Fe supplements unless a doc has told you are Fe deficient AND has found the cause-- You can take too much and hurt your liver, etc- and more importantly, it may delay diagnosing some serious disease if you're inadvertently self-treating an Fe-deficiency.

Old Today, 06:30 AM

13,928 posts, read 7,534,642 times
Quote:
Nope, was never really good with problem solving in math class, gonna need my cheat sheet to solve this one!
Most lab tests give your test value, the reference range (high and low), the unit of measure, and also a letter or note indicating if you are high, low, or within the reference range. How did you determine that you were "high"? Was that indicated on your lab result? Apparently the doctor didn't tell you about anything other than your ferritin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or