U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-01-2019, 09:19 PM
 
96 posts, read 24,543 times
Reputation: 50

Advertisements

Who has the the responsibility to be sure a patient is being administered all the medications they were taking prior to their hospitalization during their stay (assuming none of them were being temporarily or permanently stopped during their stay)? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-01-2019, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Southern California
20,436 posts, read 6,798,496 times
Reputation: 13728
The attending doctors and nurses and they make sure you are getting your meds that you are taking before hospitalization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 09:33 PM
 
96 posts, read 24,543 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
The attending doctors and nurses and they make sure you are getting your meds that you are taking before hospitalization.
OK, but if the discharge form only lists 3 of the 6 medications is the "normal" assumption that the discharge form is inaccurate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Southern California
20,436 posts, read 6,798,496 times
Reputation: 13728
I spent some time in hospital/rehabs a year or so ago. I did NOT take my own meds to these places, but when I told them what I'm on, they made sure I got my meds which were blood pressure and a thyroid med. When I was discharged, I took home meds that were mine and billed for on insurance and that was it. I'm not sure what you are asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 10:47 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,899 posts, read 26,733,768 times
Reputation: 27201
Quote:
Originally Posted by user-3489_j65 View Post
OK, but if the discharge form only lists 3 of the 6 medications is the "normal" assumption that the discharge form is inaccurate?
Were any medications stopped or changed due to the condition that prompted your hospitalization?

A discharge summary should be sent to your primary care doctor if that was not who admitted and treated you while you were in the hospital. Review all of your meds with your PCP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2019, 12:16 AM
 
96 posts, read 24,543 times
Reputation: 50
Default Who has responsibility for a patients' meds during hospitalization?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Were any medications stopped or changed due to the condition that prompted your hospitalization?
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2019, 12:31 AM
 
6,552 posts, read 2,303,687 times
Reputation: 4463
People can't bring their meds from home when they go to the hospital. I couldn't understand why though, but you can't. The nurses dole out the meds as prescribed by the doctors. The nurses get orders to administer, but you could always ask questions, then they will call the doctor with your concerns and get back to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2019, 12:38 AM
 
96 posts, read 24,543 times
Reputation: 50
Default Who has responsibility for a patients' meds during hospitalization?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I spent some time in hospital/rehabs a year or so ago. I did NOT take my own meds to these places, but when I told them what I'm on, they made sure I got my meds which were blood pressure and a thyroid med. When I was discharged, I took home meds that were mine and billed for on insurance and that was it. I'm not sure what you are asking.
I admit that my question is not well worded. The patient was not me. It was a relative.
The nurse said that the 3 meds on the discharge form were the 3 that were administered during the 3-day stay.
The paramedics, ER staff, and attending nurse were all given the list of 6 meds the patient was taking before the fall that caused the hospitalization and the hospital staff asked for the name of the patient's doctor. The attending doctor personally explained the discharge plan (in my presence) and the patient is home recovering nicely. There was no mention of any changes to her medications. I guess my question is: can a discharge form simply have an error on it and thus I am worrying "after the fact"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2019, 12:47 AM
 
323 posts, read 78,458 times
Reputation: 1022
If at all possible, a patient should always bring their currently prescribed medications with them when they check into the hospital. The hospital staff will not administer them (they will be kept until discharge or returned to family), but it gives them the ability to check with the patient's own doctor for medical history, drug interactions, etc.. And don't lie about whatever non-prescription drugs or supplements you're taking, illegal or not, lest you set yourself up for problems. Hospitals are not clairvoyants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2019, 01:06 AM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,899 posts, read 26,733,768 times
Reputation: 27201
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
People can't bring their meds from home when they go to the hospital. I couldn't understand why though, but you can't. The nurses dole out the meds as prescribed by the doctors. The nurses get orders to administer, but you could always ask questions, then they will call the doctor with your concerns and get back to you.
If you go to the hospital you should take your medications with you. The hospital will want to administer them while you are there, and you should get them back when you go home. Ask the person you give them to to give you a receipt, specifying the quantity of each med, especially if any are controlled substances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user-3489_j65 View Post
I admit that my question is not well worded. The patient was not me. It was a relative.
The nurse said that the 3 meds on the discharge form were the 3 that were administered during the 3-day stay.
The paramedics, ER staff, and attending nurse were all given the list of 6 meds the patient was taking before the fall that caused the hospitalization and the hospital staff asked for the name of the patient's doctor. The attending doctor personally explained the discharge plan (in my presence) and the patient is home recovering nicely. There was no mention of any changes to her medications. I guess my question is: can a discharge form simply have an error on it and thus I am worrying "after the fact"?
It sounds as if three medications were stopped during the hospitalization. Which of the six pre-hospitalization meds were not on the discharge list and not given during the hospital stay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top