U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 06:24 AM

2,033 posts, read 732,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Depends on the half-life of the medication - something like Synthroid has such a long half-life you can take your whole dosage for a week at one time!

There's a lot of things you could do, but it doesn't mean it's smart.

The way you stated the case for Synthroid, it follows that taking daily doses should result in a constantly increasing blood level-- but that doesn't happen. Synthroid's blood level remains in a barely therapeutic range for up to a month after ceasing to take it-- with progressively increasing symptoms of undertreatment as that month goes by. Most pts start noticing the changes the 2nd or 3rd day. ...And taking seven pills at once will surely cause noticeable & dangerous symptoms of over-dose.

Meds are not so critically dosed that losing a few crumbs when splitting a pill will be noticeable. Most of the body of a pill is filler-- cellulose, talcum powder or other stuff to carry the drug. The drug itself makes too little a pile to handle by itself.

I suppose it is good advice to be careful if using a knife to split pills--- You could put your eye out, Ralphie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 06:32 AM

9,338 posts, read 6,533,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I had to take 2-1/2mg of Lisinopril for years,would get a 45 day supply of 5mg and had to split them,no problem with a splitter from Walgreen,shaped like a boat with clear plastic cover.the pill is held in place for splitting.
I take 1.5 tabs of 50 mg metoprolol twice a day, so have to split one every day. I use exactly the same splitter you are describing, a boat shaped splitter with a "guillotine" type mechanism with a razor, with a plastic cover over it. This works well for me. The pills are split exactly in half, with no crumbs. I got it from Walgreens as well.

I would never use a knife.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:35 AM

13,954 posts, read 7,548,633 times
Quote:
Depends on the half-life of the medication - something like Synthroid has such a long half-life you can take your whole dosage for a week at one time! Other meds have a very short half life and need to be taken in small doses multiple times a day.

You can look up the half-life online but you should really check with your doctor or even your pharmacist to see if you need to keep splitting or if there is the option of a different (or smaller) dosage you can change to or add on so splitting isn't necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
There's a lot of things you could do, but it doesn't mean it's smart.

The way you stated the case for Synthroid, it follows that taking daily doses should result in a constantly increasing blood level-- but that doesn't happen. Synthroid's blood level remains in a barely therapeutic range for up to a month after ceasing to take it-- with progressively increasing symptoms of undertreatment as that month goes by. Most pts start noticing the changes the 2nd or 3rd day. ...And taking seven pills at once will surely cause noticeable & dangerous symptoms of over-dose.

Meds are not so critically dosed that losing a few crumbs when splitting a pill will be noticeable. Most of the body of a pill is filler-- cellulose, talcum powder or other stuff to carry the drug. The drug itself makes too little a pile to handle by itself.

I suppose it is good advice to be careful if using a knife to split pills--- You could put your eye out, Ralphie!
No - it's a real, doctor-approved thing for people who forget to take their Synthroid - it may not be perfect but at least for Synthroid it is far better than forgetting half your doses:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2600132/

And, I said, talk to your doc or pharmacist for specific recommendations for other meds.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:53 AM

1,919 posts, read 2,486,922 times
Quote:
No - it's a real, doctor-approved thing for people who forget to take their Synthroid - it may not be perfect but at least for Synthroid it is far better than forgetting half your doses:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2600132/

And, I said, talk to your doc or pharmacist for specific recommendations for other meds.
I knew that synthroid has a very long half-life, but I have never heard of this once a week dosing. Very interesting and informative. Thanks for sharing that link.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:43 AM

13,656 posts, read 10,913,376 times
I used the splitter for my wife's Metaprolop tartrate 25 mg tabs. Her heart rate would spike to over 160 occasionally. But if I administered the full tablet then her blood pressure would come down below 110 and I was not supposed to administer the pill below that limit. So by splitting the pills we achieved a more uniform result. I did relay what I did to the doctor and she approved.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:22 AM

5,229 posts, read 6,445,599 times
I take a Lisinopril-HCTZ combo that I used to take twice a day, but my BP started to drop too low. The doctor then reduced my dosage to one pill a day. Keeping in mind that it only lasts a few hours in the body, I decided to split it and take each half 12 hours apart. I use a single-edge razor blade to split the pill and it works like a charm.

Most pills have numbers or letters on one or both sides. I'm lucky in that my pill has a number like 802 and if I split it in the middle of the zero, I get perfect halves with just "microscopic crumbs", so I just lick the end of my finger and lick them off. Zero waste! If your vision and pill number work out, it's a good method. The single-edge razor blade is the same one I've been using the last 4 years. Still sharp!

Old 01-03-2019, 10:08 AM

1,531 posts, read 1,439,152 times
You can ask the pharmacy to cut the pills for your when filling the prescription. I have done so with both brick and mortar and mail service pharmacies.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:46 AM

13,656 posts, read 10,913,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
You can ask the pharmacy to cut the pills for your when filling the prescription. I have done so with both brick and mortar and mail service pharmacies.
The pill splitters work pretty good; at least mine did. It was very easy for me to split my wife's pills. However, to somebody suffering in pain; having the pharmacist cut the pills would probably work best. Good advice!

Old 01-03-2019, 11:10 AM

7,544 posts, read 2,966,628 times
I use something like this. I can't find the actual tool I use, but it's similar. Works great!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CQ52VXY..._t3_B07D9C48XG

Old 01-03-2019, 11:15 AM

12,608 posts, read 14,829,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Get a better pill splitter.

Follow directions, don't make up your own dosing schedule.
oldgardener's right......a good pill splitter works real good, and holds the next dose (safely within) for you.
I just touch my tongue first and then half of the dose....works well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness