U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 02:24 PM

9 posts, read 34,521 times

Advertisements

I need to buy a work out machine. My parents like to walk and we are not much of a runner. So its hard whether treadmill gives more amount of workout or eliptical. Can anyone please tell me which one provides better work out (burning calories)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 10:18 PM

2,111 posts, read 6,216,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aryan260 View Post
I need to buy a work out machine. My parents like to walk and we are not much of a runner. So its hard whether treadmill gives more amount of workout or eliptical. Can anyone please tell me which one provides better work out (burning calories)?
The eliptical, because it works more muscles thus giving you a better workout, and ability to burn off more fat. The treadmill is fine for walking and getting a good cardio workout in. It all depends on if you want to walk, or get a more intense workout. I personally like the eilptical better.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:29 PM

10,444 posts, read 5,979,636 times
Personally I'd go with the eliptical because it's better on your joints and eliminates the risk of falls.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:50 PM

6,760 posts, read 10,183,620 times
I would go with which one you enjoy using the most. That will burn more calories because you will spend more time on it and use it more frequently.

As for me, I prefer a treadmill. Ellipticals have a lot of good things about them, but I find them very boring unless you want to fork out a lot of money for a Cybex Arc Trainer. Treads allow you to walk, jog, and run at inclines from flat up to 12-15% depending on what brand and model. And you can get a really great treadmill for around $1500 where ellipticals in that price range IMO are mediocre at best.

I guess I'm biased though. I sold high end fitness equipment for 6 years and really developed a dislike for ellipticals.

That being said, my dislike is just that, MY dislike. You should try any machine you are considering extensively. I would go to the store and get on it for at least 10-15 minutes. Any machine can feel good for 30 seconds to a minute. Get on it, play with it, use it like you plan to use it when you get it home. You will have a lot better chance of being happy with your decision. ALWAYS try treadmills through their full incline range, and ALWAYS try ellipticals through their full resistance range. You will find some don't feel as smooth once you start changing the settings and that may help you avoid a machine that you would end up not liking.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:49 AM

4,268 posts, read 13,712,106 times
It's all subjective. I LOVE the elliptical but think a treadmill gives me a better work out. The elliptical is great for different inclines and such but I find myself "slacking off" whereas on the treadmill I burn more calories because you're going at a "set speed". The elliptical you can go as slow or fast as you want and I tend to go slow.

With that said, you should get what you think you will do the most exercising. If it's for your parents, than I think the elliptical is better because you're not as hard on your knees. There may, however, be a balance issue on the elliptical. At least for me there is if I do not use the bars (but then again, some people may have balance issues on the treadmill).

Either choice, don't just get the cheapest one. Get what you can afford, definitely, but just remember you get what you pay for. The above poster gave great advice. You should use before you buy. My suggestion is try to get a free pass for a week at your local gym and use their equipment. That way you'll know at least if you like a certain brand or not. Good luck!!

Old 06-18-2008, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,589 times
Cool Whatever you buy, buy quality

Choose the machine that you will use the most, but also consider what you can afford, a quality machine is most important.

If your motivated you will enjoy using (or at least tolerate using) either a treadmill or an elliptical but whatever you do make sure the one you get is of good quality and has proven servicing (either manufacturer or seller).

I'm looking out for a treadmill myself and so have come across a few posts like this and others giving advice about specific models - and from what ive read it pays to ask others their opinion.

I can't tell you what elliptical or treadmill to buy but from what i've read I can tell you a manufacturer to avoid (treadmills in particular) - Trends Fitness. They look good machines for the mid to low end but the reviews - WOW! Everything from false specs to major components not functioning - oh and to top it off, theres even a site been dedicated to their failings - presumably done by a retailer who's had enough of them.

If you've got 5 minutes check out [URL="http://www.trends-fitness.com"]www.trends-fitness.com[/URL] (as well as who to avoid) you can gather some useful infirmation about the sorts of questions to ask a retailer - it has helped me with what to look for, and especially what to look out for!

Happy shopping folks

Old 06-18-2008, 01:25 PM

9,601 posts, read 23,074,372 times
It is totally about which you find more fun and will use more. I find the elliptical more fun, but that's just me.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:46 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,119,300 times
Technically, you will probably loose more weight by running than eliptical. I, however, would work out harder on the eliptical and would only walk fast on the treadmill. In that case, eliptical is better. I would just get whatever you prefer. If you hate running, then buying a treadmill that is going to be used to hang clothes on (this is what my dad does!), isn't going to be helpful!!!

Old 06-19-2008, 02:40 PM

6,681 posts, read 11,896,336 times
I would say either one, they both have similiar benefits, the eliptical in some ways is the better choice. However and maybe some will disagree with this. If one has knee probems on probems anywhere in that area the eliptical can aggrevate that because of the particular motion of that machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness