Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2019, 01:57 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times

Advertisements

I’m getting ready for hip replacement and it seems a lot of us get sent to Skilled Nursing Facility to get rehab, etc. For various reasons I don’t think this is the best approach for me and have a bad feeling about it. I want to come home right from the hospital and get PT 3 times a week at home, plus I believe I can get a home health care nurse to visit as well. I’m on Medicare. I live alone but have lined up people to help me and someone should be with me every day for a few hours at least, one of them is a home health care worker. I’ve had 3 other major surgeries and came home directly from hospital and did fine. Anyone have any experience with this or any comments? Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 02:35 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Is your surgeon suggesting that you will need time in a rehab facility? This could be so individual based on other mobility issues you might have. FWIW, I was up and around with crutches at the hospital the day after surgery and went directly home after discharge. A couple of friends/neighbors were lined up to drive, give me a hand with household chores ahead of time (I lived alone and happened to have birds and several reptiles) but I didn't need any sort of nursing or PT I couldn't do myself. By the time surgery came up the house was arranged to make life easier (using a pamphlet of suggestions my surgeon had provided), kitchen stocked, was set up to work at home remotely, had house assist devices (shower stool, raised commode, hand held sprayer, etc) on hand and had practiced using them. There wouldn't have been anything for a visiting nurse or PT to do.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-03-2019 at 02:54 PM..

Old 01-03-2019, 02:38 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I’m getting ready for hip replacement and it seems a lot of us get sent to Skilled Nursing Facility to get rehab, etc. For various reasons I don’t think this is the best approach for me and have a bad feeling about it. I want to come home right from the hospital and get PT 3 times a week at home, plus I believe I can get a home health care nurse to visit as well. I’m on Medicare. I live alone but have lined up people to help me and someone should be with me every day for a few hours at least, one of them is a home health care worker. I’ve had 3 other major surgeries and came home directly from hospital and did fine. Anyone have any experience with this or any comments? Thx.
Well, if you are up to it, come home and if you can navigate good, then I am all for that one. When I had hip replacement and spent 3 nights in hospital and had some rehab while there I wasn't sure until close to being discharged what I'd do, my surgeon pushed the "go home" idea as I was strong and doing good. I'm glad I did and didn't even have anyone stay over the first night or any night after that. I believe if one is in basic good condition, go home. I had some PT come to the house and not a lot as he said I was doing so well. I was 72 and had anterior approach, do you know which you are having? I did well for first 5 months....Then..............

On the other hand, I have a friend who did two THR, one posterior and one anterior and she went to rehabs both times she did them 8 yrs apart or so. No help at home either. Her first one she was 82.

We both have our longterm stories. Hope all goes good for you.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:07 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,141,584 times
of course everyone is different but i had both hips replaced this year, both were direct anterior approach.

the course was the same for both, overnight in the hospital, home the next day. no PT, just walk as much as possible.

i live alone but did have a friend stay each time for about 5 days. however, other than the ride home i really didn't need anyone to stay with me but it was appreciated.

i had home health 2x/wk for two weeks and once the dressing was removed home health discharged me.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:26 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Not sure how old you are, OP. My daughter had a hip replacement at 52. She went home after the hospital with exercises to do. Her father stayed for the first week (2 story house but she was downstairs) and I went for the 2nd week. She was not allowed to drive.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:20 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
I’m 71, in good health, but have had other surgery where it would be, to me, very important to be at home. I do have friends, neighbors, cleaning lady, church folks, lined up to help me/visit at least once a day but no one 24/7 (which is fine with me, I’m used to that). I live in a small apartment so I should be able to get around ok with walker. Have bought shower stool, toilet seat riser, sock aid, and leg lifter! Will get food, toiletries, stocked up to last for awhile. I’m very mobile right now. The surgeon was concerned about safety because I live alone, and I’m afraid I won’t gave any choice in this. I’m going to do my best to do real well during my stay in the hospital. I’m so afraid I’ll get really down being in “nursing home” environment, plus I have a lot of food restrictions (no red meat, no dairy)...don’t know what I would even have to eat there. All around it sounds like a bad idea to me.

Last edited by loveautumn; 01-03-2019 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: Add info

Old 01-04-2019, 02:44 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
My husband went into a rehab facility once after knee replacement and by the 3rd day demanded to go home because, other than PT twice a day, there was not one other bit of attention he needed or got.
If things are set up so at home is workable I think most would prefer it (Unless you're really looking forward to the vacation aspect!

Old 01-04-2019, 07:47 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
I’m 71, in good health, but have had other surgery where it would be, to me, very important to be at home. I do have friends, neighbors, cleaning lady, church folks, lined up to help me/visit at least once a day but no one 24/7 (which is fine with me, I’m used to that). I live in a small apartment so I should be able to get around ok with walker. Have bought shower stool, toilet seat riser, sock aid, and leg lifter! Will get food, toiletries, stocked up to last for awhile. I’m very mobile right now. The surgeon was concerned about safety because I live alone, and I’m afraid I won’t gave any choice in this. I’m going to do my best to do real well during my stay in the hospital. I’m so afraid I’ll get really down being in “nursing home” environment, plus I have a lot of food restrictions (no red meat, no dairy)...don’t know what I would even have to eat there. All around it sounds like a bad idea to me.
1) A rehab is different than a nursing home.
2) Your food restrictions aren't likely to be a huge problem either.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:05 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
Quote:
You won't know until you've had the surgery. It depends on how soon you can walk independently or with a walking aid. They'll evaluate you in the hospital and then send you to rehab either at home or a skilled nursing facility. I know someone who was home within a week. Your surgeon would be the best person to ask since he knows the complexity of your specific case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness