U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 11:54 AM

74,400 posts, read 66,052,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I've had it for a few years and it's getting worse. The thick ragged and brittle nail on my right foot big toe broke the other day when I was trying to cut it. It doesn't hurt so I have not bothered trying any treatment. I have heard it's hard to get rid of. Has anyone had any success treating toenail fungus?
It's probably too late to treat it with oregano oil, or other "alternative" treatments. The thing is, it can invade your foot and spread throughout your system, if neglected for too long. Go to a podiatrist, and get his Pharma bomb for it. The median continues to work for months, even up to a year, after you've finished the course of the prescription, so be patient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 12:03 PM

31,596 posts, read 58,061,999 times
Keeping my toenails covered with nail polish has worked for me. The fungus is gone and my nails look great.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:31 PM

35,452 posts, read 43,627,916 times
Kerasal works temporarily. I’m not sure how it works on misshapen toenails, but my husband has black stripes that form on his big toes. It makes him self conscious. The Kerasal completely cleared this up long enough for a summer in sandals. The condition came back, so he stopped using it.
I think it’s worth a try if someone is wanting to pretty up for an event or a beach vacation. Obviously, if anything really worked, nobody would have nail fungus.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:36 PM

8,203 posts, read 5,644,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalPolyps View Post

That's why the medication works, cause it gets deep into all tissues, but that's also how it messes up your liver.
It also has major drug drug interactions with many common medications.

I would never take oral meds for nail fungus, ever!!!! And, that's a long time

Old 01-05-2019, 04:38 PM

1,744 posts, read 826,221 times
With no results after months of topical treatment, I had my big toenail removed. Really, really painful. Then I had to use the topical treatment as the toenail grew back in again. Messy. The toenail grew back in healthy but somewhat deformed.

Now, eight years later, I see the fungus has returned. Bummer. Bummer. Bummer. I'm not getting that toenail removed again.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:57 PM

170 posts, read 36,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
With no results after months of topical treatment, I had my big toenail removed. Really, really painful. Then I had to use the topical treatment as the toenail grew back in again. Messy. The toenail grew back in healthy but somewhat deformed.

Now, eight years later, I see the fungus has returned. Bummer. Bummer. Bummer. I'm not getting that toenail removed again.

It seems that once you have been infected just once, even if you get rid of the fungus, the underlying tissue, may look clear, but is damaged, is not the same as a healthy one that has never been infected, this makes you prone to reinfection

It doesn't help the fact that you always wear socks, shoes, you take showers with sandals, where fungus can live on the shower tile or surface. Toes also have less blood flow than fingers, making it harder for your immune system to detect and stop the infection. Pretty much everything is stacked against you

at least with the fingers, they are always in the open, almost impossible to get infected there, but if it happens due to cross contamination, it can be cleared quite easily, that's why I always wear gloves the handling my toenails, always use a separate nail clipper, etc this is obvious

At this point, once the toenails has been infected, it will never look like the nails of someone who has never been infected, best you can do is improve the condition, keep it from getting worse, etc.

Once the fungus is inside the nail matrix, the cells themselves are infected, every new nail will have the fungus, you have to get rid of the fungus at the cellular level, supposedly this can only be done with pills or laser. Considering how expensive the laser treatment is and there is no guarantee it won't come back and how the pill have terrible side effects, we're pretty much stuck with this for life lol

Old 01-05-2019, 05:36 PM

1,564 posts, read 761,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalPolyps View Post
how the pill have terrible side effects,
It doesn't always have terrible side effects, I took it for several months with absolutely no problems. Liver was checked before and after and was fine.

Nothing else would clear mine up, glad I did it.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:24 PM

7,686 posts, read 2,428,515 times
A doctor once told me that unless a dermatophyte infestation in the toenails got so bad, that it could no longer be tolerated, should the long, oral, anti-fungal treatment be taken. There were too many possible side-effects. If athlete's foot in the toes is the problem, simply spraying them twice daily for a week with distilled white vinegar, will cure it.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:54 PM

26 posts, read 14,021 times
Vicks vapor rub worked for me plus helps with dry and cracked feet.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:00 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,036,908 times
Pee on your feet in the shower. Fungus hates urine. No special technique, just pee on them, don't rinse or wash them afterwards, just let your feet air dry. Do it every day for a few days, once a week after that. Might take a year to fully resolve,but you'll notice a steady improvement. Don't quit, you won't want it coming back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness