U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2019, 10:21 PM
 
3,617 posts, read 3,414,363 times
Reputation: 9361

Advertisements

Many people ARE cured by six months of oral lamisil. The risks are very low. And the med is $20 for the entire six month course at Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 01:43 AM
 
13,166 posts, read 12,769,512 times
Reputation: 37976
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalPolyps View Post
How much did it cost?

I have to work in boots everyday so for me im almost sure it would return
I believe at the time it was $1500, which I thought was ridiculous at the time because it was literally a few minutes of treatment. But I was tired of dealing with it, and the money was sitting in my HSA.

The working in boots really has nothing to do with it. You would probably do best to have a new pair ready for post-treatment, but I didn't really get rid of any of my shoes. I did everything I could to get rid of the fungus around my house - bleached the showers and my bathroom and treated all my shoes repeatedly with antifungal powders/sprays.

I treated my toes every day with antifungal creams as well, and returned for follow-up appointments during which the doctor would file down the nails so they could absorb the antifungals better. It was all relatively simple and I have been pleased with the results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
52,598 posts, read 51,715,392 times
Reputation: 61871
I got the series of laser treatments, and that took care of it. However, the podiatrist said that while laser is the most effective treatment, it isn't 100%, so he hit it with all three--laser treatments (I think there were four), the oral med for a brief time, and the topical medication.

The laser treatment was about $600 and not covered by insurance. The meds were covered by my insurance, and my co-pay is very small ($2 for generic, $5 for name-brand). I was shocked when I saw on my EOB that the tiny bottle of topical stuff goes for $1000.

I had the fungus on my big toenail for years before I could afford to get the laser treatment done. The nail got very thick and white and ridged, so what I would do is periodically grind it down with the Pedi-Paws nail grinder I bought to use on my cats. None of them would let me near their claws with it, so it wasn't a waste of money once I realized I could use it on myself.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM
 
370 posts, read 149,153 times
Reputation: 1051
Maybe I am off base but what about soaking it in chlorine bleach? I had a friend do that for athletes foot. I just googled it and it looks like one of the remedies for this issue. I would probably soak it in pure chlorine bleach and not dilute it and then rinse after awhile. Bleach is a powerful anti fungal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM
 
170 posts, read 36,494 times
Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Maybe I am off base but what about soaking it in chlorine bleach? I had a friend do that for athletes foot. I just googled it and it looks like one of the remedies for this issue. I would probably soak it in pure chlorine bleach and not dilute it and then rinse after awhile. Bleach is a powerful anti fungal.

Its not going to do much, if anything, you're damaging your skin. The problem with nail fungus is that it has infected the nail matrix, the tissue which lies below the nail. Nothing, except the medication and laser can get there. Medication is absorbed systemically and flushed out through your pores, urine, tissues, pretty much your whole body, and that's how it gets in the nail matrix and kills the fungus.

Laser supposedly can go through the skin, nail and kill the fungus in the matrix.

See in this picture how of much of a distance exists between the matrix and the cuticle. Soaking with whatever chemical, applying any product, is not going to touch the nail matrix.

Removing the whole nail, will not affect the nail matrix, where the infection is, thus, the new nail will very likely have the fungus again. The nail matrix is the tissue under the nail that it rests on.

This is what most people don't understand, it is not really the nail that has been infected, is the tissue under the nail, the matrix. The infected nail is just a consequence of an infected nail matrix.

You can remove the whole nail and the doctor apply an acid which will burn the matrix permanently, this will solve the problem, but you will never grow a nail back again.

Once you understand these concepts, you realize how futile everything is except for medication, laser or complete nail removal with permanent destruction of the matrix. Medication and laser will cure it, but again, there is no guarantee that you won't get reinfected as is very easy, considering the nature of feet and how they are always in moisture, dark environment, shower floors, sandals, different shoes, you are always on your feet, walking, unlike the hands.

In summary, is our very own physiology which prevents us from being cured from this infection. If we didn't have nail matrix under the nail, where the fungus can hide, it would be easily curable. This is why athlete foot is easily curable, as there is no place for the fungus to hide.




Last edited by NasalPolyps; Yesterday at 08:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Michigan
144 posts, read 77,742 times
Reputation: 302
Looking at the posts I thought I would see this but I did not. Soak your foot with the toenails covered (submerged) in a solution of one half vinegar and one half mouthwash (Listerine type). Make sure toes are completely covered. Soak for at least for one half hour. (Read a book or something) Do this every two to three days for a while. I use white vinegar (5% acidity) and Listerine type mouthwash from WalMart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top