U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM

91 posts, read 15,858 times

Advertisements

I've had it for a few years and it's getting worse. The thick ragged and brittle nail on my right foot big toe broke the other day when I was trying to cut it. It doesn't hurt so I have not bothered trying any treatment. I have heard it's hard to get rid of. Has anyone had any success treating toenail fungus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM

4,077 posts, read 3,029,572 times
I tried over the counter products with no success. I went to my primary care physician. I was told that to actually cure the problem I would need to use a prescription drug for twelve months or longer. The drug itself was used primarily in cancer treatment but had been found to be effective for nail fungus.

Furthermore a monthly supply for the med was in the 500 dollar range. And because this drug had been found in some cases to cause liver damage I would need a monthly blood test. Dr said she wouldn’t remove the nail. Honestly I’m not making this up.

Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM

4,976 posts, read 1,909,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I've had it for a few years and it's getting worse. The thick ragged and brittle nail on my right foot big toe broke the other day when I was trying to cut it. It doesn't hurt so I have not bothered trying any treatment. I have heard it's hard to get rid of. Has anyone had any success treating toenail fungus?
First step is to get diagnosed correctly and get a prescription for the correct medication. It is hard to get rid of and its fairly easy to reinfect yourself. Lots of topicals don't cure anything because they can't actually reach the fungus itself. Been through rounds of this with my elderly dad. He kept buying all sorts of OTC topicals that never worked. Finally convinced him to see a dermatologist, got the correct medication and finally got rid of it.

Last edited by Parnassia; Yesterday at 04:49 PM..

Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM

649 posts, read 1,043,117 times
I went to a podiatrist in November for treatment of both my little toes. I opted for laser treatment, since I've had it awhile. I have to say, the numbing shots to the toes were no picnic, but the treatment itself was super fast.

He also had me start daily bathing of feet with Fungasoap and treat twice daily with ClearZal. It came with a glass nail file that you use to file down the surface and the edge of the nail. The surface has to be thin (like an infants fingernail, if you've ever seen one) for the ClearZal to penetrate. The podiatrist uses a Dremel on slow speed to grind it down.

I declined the suggested oral medication because I didn't want to risk the small but serious consequences of potential liver damage. They have to monitor your blood and I'm just not going that far to treat nail fungus.

My daughter also started treatment at the same time but she had a very minor infection that had just started. She did not do the laser, just the bathing and ClearZal.

Both of us had good results. Hers looks gone, one of my toes is also completely clear, the other is much improved. At follow-up today he liked what he saw but he said to do the bathing and 2x/day treatment at least three more months because even when it looks clear, the fungus can still be there.

Both of the products are available on Amazon.

Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
I went to a podiatrist in November for treatment of both my little toes. I opted for laser treatment, since I've had it awhile. I have to say, the numbing shots to the toes were no picnic, but the treatment itself was super fast.

He also had me start daily bathing of feet with Fungasoap and treat twice daily with ClearZal. It came with a glass nail file that you use to file down the surface and the edge of the nail. The surface has to be thin (like an infants fingernail, if you've ever seen one) for the ClearZal to penetrate. The podiatrist uses a Dremel on slow speed to grind it down.

I declined the suggested oral medication because I didn't want to risk the small but serious consequences of potential liver damage. They have to monitor your blood and I'm just not going that far to treat nail fungus.

My daughter also started treatment at the same time but she had a very minor infection that had just started. She did not do the laser, just the bathing and ClearZal.

Both of us had good results. Hers looks gone, one of my toes is also completely clear, the other is much improved. At follow-up today he liked what he saw but he said to do the bathing and 2x/day treatment at least three more months because even when it looks clear, the fungus can still be there.

Both of the products are available on Amazon.
Definitely not worth liver damage! I don't have much nail left to file down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I tried over the counter products with no success. I went to my primary care physician. I was told that to actually cure the problem I would need to use a prescription drug for twelve months or longer. The drug itself was used primarily in cancer treatment but had been found to be effective for nail fungus.

Furthermore a monthly supply for the med was in the 500 dollar range. And because this drug had been found in some cases to cause liver damage I would need a monthly blood test. Dr said she wouldn’t remove the nail. Honestly I’m not making this up.
My nail practically fell off. The one on the toe next to the big toe did fall off last year. Didn't even hurt.

Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM

165 posts, read 34,541 times
Its almost impossible to eradicate. Even the medication only has like 30-40% success rates and it can return. Its one of those thing you just live with. All those otc creams or whatever don't do anything lol only thing you can do is remove the infected nails, file it down to make it look more presentable, apply some anti fungal to prevent it from looking worse, but it won't get rid of it

The problem here is the fungus all the way down in the matrix, you can't reach there, unless you have a complete removal of the whole nail, even then fungus is under the matrix and the skin around it, so even a whole nail removal, won't get rid of all the fungus

That's why the medication works, cause it gets deep into all tissues, but that's also how it messes up your liver.

Laser doesn't reach down there where the nail matrix is either

Since the nail keeps growing, the fungus will always return as is planted in the roots of the nail and surrounded tissue

Last edited by NasalPolyps; Yesterday at 08:12 PM..

Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM

649 posts, read 1,043,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalPolyps View Post
The problem here is the fungus all the way down in the matrix, you can't reach there, unless you have a complete removal of the whole nail, even then fungus is under the matrix and the skin around it, so even a whole nail removal, won't get rid of all the fungus

That's why the medication works, cause it gets deep into all tissues, but that's also how it messes up your liver.

Laser doesn't reach down there where the nail matrix is either
The lasers are specifically designed to reach the nail matrix; that is the whole point of using them.

Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
The lasers are specifically designed to reach the nail matrix; that is the whole point of using them.

may be so, but the success rate is only 50-60% just like the medication. You also need 3 treatments at least, it will be expensive. That's the problem with toe nails, always on socks and shoes, always in contact with something unlike the fingernails.

I had toe nails fungus for years, I tried everything except the meds and lasers. I never go to the beach or even show my feet, so I don't even care now.

The medication can cause impotence and gynecomastia in men.

Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalPolyps View Post
may be so, but the success rate is only 50-60% just like the medication. You also need 3 treatments at least, it will be expensive. That's the problem with toe nails, always on socks and shoes, always in contact with something unlike the fingernails.

I had toe nails fungus for years, I tried everything except the meds and lasers. I never go to the beach or even show my feet, so I don't even care now.

The medication can cause impotence and gynecomastia in men.
That's worse than liver damage!

Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
That's worse than liver damage!

You can easily buy fluconazole the medication for this through online pharmacies without a prescription, usually from Mexico or India, the meds are legit, but even then, you're taking a risk, you don't know how it is going to affect your body

Unless you're a female or someone who needs to show off feet, like no man ever, just cut and file nails, maybe apply some spray to keep it from getting worse and forget about it, sure, it will look ugly when you reveal those suckers but who cares, is just cosmetic

I never take off my socks when it comes to intimate time and if they ask why, I would just say I have athletes foot from playing soccer, better than saying i have nail fungus which is nastier lmao

I never go to the beach or pool, but if I were to go, I don't think other people would give a damn, and if they do, well, that's their problem, nobody is perfect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness