Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 11:30 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...toryId=4696316

If MD's wander outside the "standard medicine world" they stand to lose their medical licenses and I've known of one in our town who has been thru this and there are others I know of. In medical schools the drugs are the main push, of course and certainly not prevention.

If people were only guided to prevention just think of perhaps so much dementia being reduced or eliminated. I see this as there is so much info today on prevention for this horrible condition. So much suffering that affects so many. There are so many health issues that could be reduced or eliminated if a person were guided by their doctors early on. My opinion on all this.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-05-2019 at 12:13 PM..

Old 01-05-2019, 01:36 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
The article is about the implied pressure that Medical Schools and their faculty might get from pharmaceutical companies when those companies donate large amounts in grant and other funding to the institutions to do research. As the article indicates, public and university sources of funding are insufficient, so it's not unusual for companies to donate directly to schools for this purpose. They need the facilities and manpower of the Medical schools (and their patients) to assist in these research endeavors.

If you are asking whether or not the funding the schools get from the companies may influence them to be more favorable to those companies than they should be, then I would say the answer is Maybe.

If you are suggesting that Medical Schools engage in activities to proactively push drugs at the expense of not discussing prevention and other non pharmacological therapies , either by limiting those discussions in didactic education of medical students, or by Medical School clinical faculty not talking to patients about prevention, then I think the answer is No.

And in my experience, doctors absolutely discuss prevention and all matter or health and wellness options with their patients.....unfortunately, patients often don't listen. I absolutely agree with you that if doctor and patient can work together early on, everyone benefits.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:56 PM

17,571 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
If you are asking whether or not the funding the schools get from the companies may influence them to be more favorable to those companies than they should be, then I would say the answer is Maybe.
Thinking otherwise could be just plain crazy

The problem comes in when the pretty young drug reps in short skirts visit the Dr's office with the latest and greatest and most expensive new drugs on the market.

That's one of the reasons more pharmacists, Pharm Ds, are now working side by side with the MDs. To let the docs know what is less expensive and really works

Old 01-05-2019, 02:01 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

If MD's wander outside the "standard medicine world" they stand to lose their medical licenses and I've known of one in our town who has been thru this and there are others I know of. In medical schools the drugs are the main push, of course and certainly not prevention.

If people were only guided to prevention just think of perhaps so much dementia being reduced or eliminated. I see this as there is so much info today on prevention for this horrible condition. So much suffering that affects so many. There are so many health issues that could be reduced or eliminated if a person were guided by their doctors early on. My opinion on all this.
1. The article is 15 years old

2. What or where is the “ standard medicine world” never been there.

3. Where is the evidence of a physician losing their license in the way which you suggest ?

4. It is very clear you don’t typically read the links you post, where exactly in this very old article detailing an informal survey is there any reference to MDs not preaching prevention?

5. Where is the evidence supporting “prevention “ that could eradicate dementia?

Old 01-05-2019, 02:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Thinking otherwise could be just plain crazy

The problem comes in when the pretty young drug reps in short skirts visit the Dr's office with the latest and greatest and most expensive new drugs on the market.

That's one of the reasons more pharmacists, Pharm Ds, are now working side by side with the MDs. To let the docs know what is less expensive and really works
How sexist!

Old 01-05-2019, 02:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

Never start a thread with "why". You're begging the question. As pointed out, the story is 15 years old, and even so, my docs have been pushing prevention for >15 years. You know "eat right, exercise, blah, blah".

Old 01-05-2019, 02:19 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
I've never had a PCP that didn't push prevention.

Your view of the medical and dental world is skewed.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
1. The article is 15 years old

2. What or where is the “ standard medicine world” never been there.

3. Where is the evidence of a physician losing their license in the way which you suggest ?

4. It is very clear you don’t typically read the links you post, where exactly in this very old article detailing an informal survey is there any reference to MDs not preaching prevention?

5. Where is the evidence supporting “prevention “ that could eradicate dementia?
I don't care how old it is, it is all TRUE today and will continue. That's what western medicine is all about...give them drugs once the person has the disease.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-05-2019 at 03:20 PM..

Old 01-05-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post

Your view of the medical and dental world is skewed.
I NEVER had a doctor who pushed prevention...except my Integrative MD's I've seen for about 10 yrs or more, their push for drugs is the last resort.

And strange how I knew the "pharma team" would be the first ones to attack this info. ummm

Old 01-05-2019, 02:46 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
My experience as well and it's nothing new. My parents used MDs and also took us to pediatricians who "preached" prevention first and every MD I've used since living as an independent adult always suggested preventive measures first. My parents weren't alternative culture outsiders either. Pretty ordinary middle class folks. The litany was that healthy living promotes health. When a problem comes up despite it, treatments are available to fix or manage the problem.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-05-2019 at 02:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness